WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came across an article about the Dan Henry 1939 chronographs. Absolutely stunning homage to the Omega/Tissot 33.3's from the 1930's. Part of me really really wants to buy one. I've only owned one quartz watch (a Swatch chrono) in the last 20 or so years, all of my stuff has been mechanical. The DH is powered by a Miyota movement which many people say is really well engineered and accurate.

I love mechanicals, I've tried to collect watches that I am confident can be serviced and that have readily available parts. I rarely wear the quartz watch I have and it still runs after a couple battery changes and 6 years of ownership. But my allegiance to mechanical watches has me scared of pulling the trigger on the DH 1939. Is the DH, powered by a modified Miyota 6S21, a watch that is going to hold up for many many years? What are the servicing expectations on something like this, especially since its a modified movement, (is it eventually going to break and be un-reparable, etc.). I guess I'm just scared of buying something that will become a paperweight. Just trying to get some thoughts from those that are fans and wearers of quartz chronos, this is uncharted territory for me.:think:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I recently bought the 1939 and it's a superb watch for the price you pay. The design is spot on, the quality is great and the price is unbeatable. Sure, you gotta get used to the ticking of the second hand, but honestly, for that price you just can't go wrong.

As for servicing? Why bother - it will cost you more than you paid for the whole watch. Just buy an entirely new movement and drop it in. I wouldn't hesitate on getting the 1939 at all.

·
Premium Member
66,780 Posts
Just get a 1939. By the time you put it on your wrist you'll not care an iota about the future servicing possibilities.

·
Registered
36,283 Posts
Love the DH chronos and at these prices, who cares? Feed it a few batteries and wear it.

I highly doubt they will stop working (assuming fresh cells installed) in our lifetimes of normal use, but even if they did, they are the price of a disposable.

·
Premium Member
66,780 Posts
Anybody compare the 1963 and 1939? I really consider buy 1 of them
Don are you sure you can't run to them both? The 1939 and the 1963 are brilliant watches. It's really hard to pick one but I reckon it'd be the black 1939, then the black 1963 then the silver 1939.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,804 Posts
I just came across an article about the Dan Henry 1939 chronographs. Absolutely stunning homage to the Omega/Tissot 33.3's from the 1930's. Part of me really really wants to buy one. I've only owned one quartz watch (a Swatch chrono) in the last 20 or so years, all of my stuff has been mechanical. The DH is powered by a Miyota movement which many people say is really well engineered and accurate.

I love mechanicals, I've tried to collect watches that I am confident can be serviced and that have readily available parts. I rarely wear the quartz watch I have and it still runs after a couple battery changes and 6 years of ownership. But my allegiance to mechanical watches has me scared of pulling the trigger on the DH 1939. Is the DH, powered by a modified Miyota 6S21, a watch that is going to hold up for many many years? What are the servicing expectations on something like this, especially since its a modified movement, (is it eventually going to break and be un-reparable, etc.). I guess I'm just scared of buying something that will become a paperweight. Just trying to get some thoughts from those that are fans and wearers of quartz chronos, this is uncharted territory for me.:think:
Expect that the Miyota movement will last longer than your lifetime with reasonable care and regular servicing. Just like an eta movement. Non-movement components like hands, dial, etc., will be harder to replace. If you like the style of that DH just buy it and have fun. Chances are good that you will tire of the design long before anything breaks.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Nice watches, shame about the lack of date 😑

Sent from the Iron Throne using Westerosi ravens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts