WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
I am in the market for a skx007. I have heard bad things about the oyster bracelet that comes with it. I know there are lots of after market ones that are better, but my searches come up empty. What are my options for oyster style bracelets and where do I get them?
Thanks everyone.
Brent

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard that it was flimsy and cheap looking. I had also heard that it stretched out too. I have heard it on a few forums but have never seen one in person.
Thanks.
Brent

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have heard that it was flimsy and cheap looking. I had also heard that it stretched out too. I have heard it on a few forums but have never seen one in person.
Thanks.
Brent

From my experience the Oyster is fine. Maybe you're thinking of the OEM jubilee? If so, that is a fine bracelet - others may well beg to differ, but I find that bracelet VERY comfortable and light. It's all a matter of taste really. I wouldn't be too put off by hearsay - find out for yourself and make up your own mind. Whatever the case, a new strap won't cost the earth even if you don't like it. Enjoy the ride. ;-)

P.S. A good, reliable source for a post market Oyster is William Jean: [email protected] (Check him out on the well-known auction site).

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Thanks.
Brent
As the other have said, you are thinking of the OEM Jubilee, not the OEM Oyster. The jubilee has solid outer endlinks, but the center ones are all folded. As a result it is very light, which some equate with cheapness. I have a few and think they are what they are. They are light and highly flexible. quite easily one of the most comfortable bracelet styles made by seiko. That said, it's lightness and hollow feeling of the centerlinks does give someone a feeling of cheapness, when compared to a fully solid linked piece. As for it being stretched. I've owned these a long time and I have yet to see one stretched. Vintage ones yes, but not modern ones. The only thing I can think would cause that kind of metal fatigue on a modern one is wearing the watch too tight.

As for the OEM Oyster, it is technically not offered with the 0020 cased divers. It belongs to their quartz counterpart. it is a drop in swap and many do it. a few enterprising sellers have actually made the swap and sold the watche slike that. Many forgoe doing this in favor of using a aftermarket Super oyster, which is thicker, heavier and has a better clasp. Since it is an aftermarket product, it is also considerably cheaper. However, superoysters are not made to take fat springbars so you have to make allowances for that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a stock 009k that came with an OEM Oyster bracelet. They were available for a short while on the oyster bracelet before they were put on the jubilee. The oyster looks nice in my opinion but is made of a sort of "tinny" metal and even sounds like it. The clasp is extremely cheap feeling and the push bars stink. It is the cheap folded metal type of band... stay away if you can.

·
Registered
693 Posts
its def the jubilee you are thinking of. the end links on mine are separating

it did bother me at first, so much that i bought a watchadoo. in the end i switched back to the jubilee... nothing against the watchadoo :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had the same problem as Tremec on an old one with the Jubilee bracelet. I wore it on velcro and zulus for a few years. A watch shop owner friend of mine (they're handy to have) told me the same thing Isthmus said about the newer ones being better made. I bought a new Jubilee bracelet for it and have had zero problems. I also agree that the Jubilee is one of the most comfy braclets I have ever worn. If it's of recent manufacture I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one. Either way enjoy it. :-!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts