WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 40 years I've simply admired & loved the profile and sleek lines of the standard Oyster Case.
In the meanwhile, I've only ever actually WORN larger-cased professional models during that time, until I bought a pair of Explorers-214270 a year ago.
Whenever I lust after Patek Philippe, or Vacheron Constantin, the side profiles don't appeal to me nearly as much as does smooth sides of the old Oyster.
I've been very close to buying a Vacheron Overseas Simple Date.....but love the Oyster Case more!
I'm going to buy a new Datejust-41 126300 in silver-dial, smooth-bezel, and jubilee-bracelet very soon......a watch I've always wanted for 40 years.
Anyway....the profile of the case and pressure proof design is probably at the top of my priority list....
I don't SCUBA Dive anymore, and really any of these watches work for swimming, showering, fishing, etc....

QGYLvnHl.jpg

·
Registered
319 Posts
Interesting point. I tried the Milgauss, AK and OP39. The 241270 was much more comfortable that the AK/Milgauss. It wears very well and (especially after coming from Planet Oceans) is the most comfortable watch I have ever owned. I never noticed the bezel as "too shiny" but it is polished to a mirror finish so you are probably correct regarding scratches. I was not able to find a ExII or sub. Maybe that's a move up one day....

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
For the past 40 years I've simply admired & loved the profile and sleek lines of the standard Oyster Case.
In the meanwhile, I've only ever actually WORN larger-cased professional models during that time, until I bought a pair of Explorers-214270 a year ago.
Whenever I lust after Patek Philippe, or Vacheron Constantin, the side profiles don't appeal to me nearly as much as does smooth sides of the old Oyster.
I've been very close to buying a Vacheron Overseas Simple Date.....but love the Oyster Case more!
I'm going to buy a new Datejust-41 126300 in silver-dial, smooth-bezel, and jubilee-bracelet very soon......a watch I've always wanted for 40 years.
Anyway....the profile of the case and pressure proof design is probably at the top of my priority list....
I don't SCUBA Dive anymore, and really any of these watches work for swimming, showering, fishing, etc....

The important question here is: Are you going to buy two of them?

·
Premium Member
24,305 Posts
I have my AD after a 126300 blue dial. Did not want to pay for fluted bezel and was initially going smooth and jubilee. But to me the fluted goes with jubilee and the smooth goes with Oyster.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have my AD after a 126300 blue dial. Did not want to pay for fluted bezel and was initially going smooth and jubilee. But to me the fluted goes with jubilee and the smooth goes with Oyster.
I made my father buy a 36mm version of the blue-fluted/white-gold-jubilee almost 30 years ago.....so sharp my eyes are always drawn to it.
6 months ago I was waiting on a plane and an elderly couple was nearby.....the gentleman was wearing the exact watch you describe.....VERY nice!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting point. I tried the Milgauss, AK and OP39. The 241270 was much more comfortable that the AK/Milgauss. It wears very well and (especially after coming from Planet Oceans) is the most comfortable watch I have ever owned. I never noticed the bezel as "too shiny" but it is polished to a mirror finish so you are probably correct regarding scratches. I was not able to find a ExII or sub. Maybe that's a move up one day....

Examples like this prove to me every time that the Explorer is the sharpest, cleanest, almost surgical looking watch available.
Love it!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Examples like this prove to me every time that the Explorer is the sharpest, cleanest, almost surgical looking watch available.
Love it!
Interesting adjective- "surgical". I think you hit right on why I like it. The clean lines give it an orderly, precise appearance. Not flashy by any means, but really pops under close scrutiny . Not for bling and not for everyone but a nice piece in it's own right...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,305 Posts
I made my father buy a 36mm version of the blue-fluted/white-gold-jubilee almost 30 years ago.....so sharp my eyes are always drawn to it.
6 months ago I was waiting on a plane and an elderly couple was nearby.....the gentleman was wearing the exact watch you describe.....VERY nice!
I've come close several times and then hesitated... 20171211_150844.jpg 20170822_191058.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I completely agree. I've tried them all and nothing comes close to the Oyster case and the confidence I have with it against water intrusion. There's a reason Rolex has changed very little in decades.

Here's a pic of my Oyster with chronograph pushers jammed into the sides :)

20180729_172253.jpg

·
Registered
562 Posts
It’s probably due to decades of branding, but I also see to Oyster case as the perfect watch case. I can spot it across the room and can adore it from afar. Any other profile is lacking in aesthetics.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts

The swoop of the case from the lugs, under the bezel, and back out to peak as crown guards is just fantastic. That lug-to-lug "W" shape is the pinnacle of Rolex design elements IMHO.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I agree on your DJ41 choice, I tried one on and almost made an impulse buy it felt so good. I'd also choose the silver dial.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE

Pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered the Datejust-41 - ref-126300, silver-dial, smooth-bezel, jubilee bracelet with 4 extra links.

I'll post actual pictures once it arrives, along with my Explorers....
(I've ALWAYS wanted a Silver-Dialed, Jubilee Rolex.....)

I'll worry about the new GMT or Red Sea-Dweller later.....I just can't imagine needing more than these 3 watches in rotation....
(I have spares of the Explorers)

cQwmmbBl.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts