WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Oyster Perpetual 39 vs. Explorer I Mk2 vs. Milgauss

7K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  5959HH 
#1 · (Edited)
Thinking about adding a Rolex to the collection and right now debating between
  • OP39 in White (love the blue sun ray dial but hate the green dots next to the applied markers)
  • Explorer 1 Mk2
  • Milgauss with the blue dial and green crystal

How would you guys rank these watches? Maybe I'll get one this year and sell some other watches off and pick up another one next year :-!
Wrist shots are welcome!

#2 ·
I’ve recently purchased the 214270 Mk2 and it’s been on my radar since it was released. I have to say that I’m very happy with it and can see myself wearing it exclusively for the foreseeable future. For me the 214270 Mk2 is just the perfect watch, I can’t think of any situation where I would need anything different.

I’m also a big fan of the new white dial Oyster Perpetual, and have toyed with the idea of saving a bit of extra money and adding that as a second watch. However all things considered owning the 214270, I don’t think it is really necessary. The 214270 can cover any occasion and having the two would just be overkill.

As for the Milgauss while I appreciate it, it’s not something that I could see myself buying. It’s a great looking watch but I see it more as a watch for somebody who already has several Rolex’s. In its current iteration it’s too dressy for my day to day lifestyle. If I was going to buy one though it would definitely be black dial with green crystal. But if we’re talking about a 1019, or a 6541, the script has been flipped!

#4 ·
I really like the Explorer, I'm just cautious about having too many black dial watches in the collection. I'll probably sell off a black one before getting the explorer. Is the clasp adjustable at all?

White OP is such a classic simple design, but definitely an under the radar watch which is great in most occasions. Wish it had more adjustability in the bracelet.

Milgauss seems like a fun watch. More casual, but definitely would see less wrist time because of that.

Think I'm leaning selling a couple watches and going OP and then Explorer. Pretty tame choices but so freaking classy! My wallet thanks me for not liking Rolexes bigger watches like the Pepsi or Batman lol.

#5 ·
For me, Milgauss Zblue by a mile, not trying to compare it to your other choices.. It's my favorite of my 5 crowns but for all different reasons which makes it hard to compare to anything else. It definitely has the biggest smile factor. It took me awhile to get over the reasons l had not to purchase it but now l have no reason to let it go, I love it more everytime I put it on and that's a good thing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I love the milgauss but hate that it's got so much polish. I also find the green crystal variants difficult to tell time with under certain light. I love love love the new OP39 white and black but at the end of the day it would still be second to the Explorer I. I've found the easy link to provide the most comfortable fit so I always use it, and would miss it on the OP39 models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#9 ·
If this is going to be your only Rolex, I would suggest either a black dial Rolex Oyster Perpetual or a Rolex Explorer.

Reactions: 5959HH
#12 ·
While this is a personal decision, I went for the Explorer. I use the easylink extension just about every day. I also wear my watch when I sleep so I like the lume that the Explorer has over the other two options you mentioned. Enjoy the hunt!

#14 ·
I’ve also been torn between the OP and the Explorer, didn’t consider the Milgauss since as others said I wouldn’t buy it as a first/only Rolex.
I ended up choosing the Explorer and couldn’t be happier! But I really think all three are great watches so you can’t really get wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Explorer over the OP for me. Black dial is by my eye far more versatile. But honestly the Millgauss is a unique watch, and I would likely choose it over the other choices.

Any watch can be an everyday watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#18 · (Edited)
One of the watches you left out is the Air-King that has the same case, movement and bracelet as the Milgauss but not the polished center links as the Milgauss. The Air-King also costs $2000 less than the Milgauss.

I too like the 39mm OP with white dial but don't own one. However I do own both a 39mm Explorer I and an Air-King and thought I'd compare.

The Air-King is slightly thicker than the Explorer and has a 40mm case vs. 39mm Explorer case. Both have the Easylink but the Explorer has the fliplock clasp.

Now for the pictures:

If I could keep only one watch in my collection, it would be my 214270 Explorer I. I love the dial, hands and the bracelet with the fliplock clasp and Easylink.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.