WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i'm not alot on this forum but now i'm looking at an Rolex Oysterdate Preciscion. And while i have no pictures at the moment i have a few questions the seller says the watch is 15 years or is this possible with an preciscion date? Also says that there is no box but certificates with name and numbers. So could this be a precicsion or is it all bull.. Thanks for any info:-!

David

·
Registered
639 Posts
Haven't the guys in the basement warned you not to drink the koolaid?

·
Banned
3,251 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Dear Omega Man: As far as I know, ca. 1993 the Air-King was the only Oyster that had 'Precision' on the dial as the movement had no 'Chronometer' designation (going back to the late 80's/early 90's, the hand-wind Oyster may have also had 'Precision' on the dial). Find out if it is an Air-King. Air-Kings for the U.S. market had no date, but UK/Euro and Canadian models did. I hope this helps. Roger.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could'nt resist a bite of the ap... i mean a drink of the koolaid;-)
Roger Thanks for the info:-! i will look into those.

David

·
Registered
639 Posts
Okay then, by your own volition you drink.

No Airking was ever a Datejust. Some Datejusts are quickset, some (pre ~1977) are not.

Oysterdate Precision is a very nice and very simple watch.
Seventeen jewels manual wind. Some have an alternating red/black date display that's pretty cool, like an early GMT.

The 15 years old remark, I believe, is total bull, but don't let that, by itself, scare you off... the guy legitimately may be guessing.. and let's face it, on occasion, old Rolexes DO look quite good for their years. The "papers" will be dated and in this case you'll find they are from a service that was done 15 years ago. The watch is closer to 40 years old. Ask the seller for reference and serial numbers (to the closest thousand is adequate for s/n) and of course good clear pictures including movement and inside of caseback.

Gonna grab a cold beer now.. (I don't drink koolaid)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts