WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Do you know a source where I can buy an OQ- 17000 series dial in silver?
My AD does it for around 200EUR....maybe there are other sources around?

Thanks a lot!

BTW: I read here: http://www.oysterquartz.net/service_prices.htm
that battery is replaced free of charge....I cannot believe it though....does not seem to be an accurate website, the serial number table also is a little scewed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi!

Do you know a source where I can buy an OQ- 17000 series dial in silver?
My AD does it for around 200EUR....maybe there are other sources around?

Thanks a lot!

BTW: I read here: http://www.oysterquartz.net/service_prices.htm
that battery is replaced free of charge....I cannot believe it though....does not seem to be an accurate website, the serial number table also is a little scewed.
Well I see it a little different. I researched that site and purchased my "P" serial 17000A after some thorough reading. I found my OQ in a an AD's case NIB in Hawaii and purchased her. The battery soon died. It was after all a 6 year old watch. Brought it to my AD and they changed the battery free of charge and said "that's the way it is". Just my experience though... I have looked for a replacement dial in any color outside of an AD and canna find one.. :(

JL

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Short of getting one from Rolex itself (that depends on where you are situated), or an AD, if Rolex in your region will sell a dial to an AD (Rolex USA does NOT allow this), your only hope is to find one on the auction site.

And, yes, battery changes are free from Rolex (mine lasted just about 2 years and 4 months before it died), but I'm under the impression that Rolex only does this if they were the last to service the watch...but I could be wrong. When I sent in my Oysterquartz to them earlier this year, they did a complete diagnostic test and apparently determined that the only thing wrong was the battery. They asked if there were any other issues...I told them the watch ran about 2 seconds slow per week, and darned if they didn't adjust the movement so now it runs about about 2 seconds slow per month.

Rolex will offer a dial swap if you send it in for service. That's what I did back in '07 when I acquired my 17013. It added to the cost, but now I've got an Oysterquartz that looks new.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Short of getting one from Rolex itself (that depends on where you are situated), or an AD, if Rolex in your region will sell a dial to an AD (Rolex USA does NOT allow this), your only hope is to find one on the auction site.

And, yes, battery changes are free from Rolex (mine lasted just about 2 years and 4 months before it died), but I'm under the impression that Rolex only does this if they were the last to service the watch...but I could be wrong. When I sent in my Oysterquartz to them earlier this year, they did a complete diagnostic test and apparently determined that the only thing wrong was the battery. They asked if there were any other issues...I told them the watch ran about 2 seconds slow per week, and darned if they didn't adjust the movement so now it runs about about 2 seconds slow per month.

Rolex will offer a dial swap if you send it in for service. That's what I did back in '07 when I acquired my 17013. It added to the cost, but now I've got an Oysterquartz that looks new.
Thanks! Two Questions, please

1. I thought an "AD is the acronym for "authorized dealer", so I would have to send it directly to RLX or through the "AD"?

2. Do you live in the US....in Europe it seems they do not offer the free battery change....

Thanks a lot for your help!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
First, yes, I do live in the land of Rolex USA, where the Rolex rules are very different from the rest of the world...much more restrictive about obtaining dials, bracelets, hands and so forth. And, yes, here in the US, Rolex USA has deemed for whatever their reason, to offer 'free' battery changes for the now defunct Oysterquartz line. But, one has to send (or bring in) the watch to the RSC, they check to see that everything is OK to just change the battery, and they complete the task and send the watch back or send you on your way. It would be implied that the watch would undergo a pressure check at the same time and perhaps a gasket change...but that would be it. And, my understanding is that Rolex is looking for a continuing relationship...meaning that they insist on the most recent service in order to change the battery for free. Free is a loosly defined word here, as Rolex USA charges about 20% more to service an Oysterquartz than a regular movement. They will, at least in the USA, not act as a bettery change station for any and all Oysterquartz's that make their way to their doorstep, whereas a regular watchmaker would perhaps be inclined to just change a battery on a Rolex, and if one wanted to chance the possibility of lots of caseback scratches, then any old battery change/shoe repair/fortune teller stand would also probably work.

And, yes, the AD acronym is also correct. I was referring to the restrictive nature of Rolex USA insofar as selling dials, bracelets and bezels to independent watchmakers or AD's here in the US. In this country, Rolex keeps a very tight lid on parts distribution as to not flood the general market with authentic dials and bracelets and cases that might in any way further the interests of Rolex modifications or copies. If one wanted an 'official' dial change, on any Rolex, here in the US, then it would require a trip to the RSC, regardless of whether the origin was through an AD or via the postal system. Think of it this way...if you owned a Rolex Explorer I, and just decided it would look cool with a Rolex jubilee bracelet, you would not be able to buy the Jubilee from either Rolex or an AD just because you wanted it. The sale would be refused because Rolex US would take the position that the Exp I was never intended to have the Jubilee and there would be no sale. With your Oysterquartz, here in the US, you'd have to send the watch to Rolex, they would insist on a full service and charge for an exchange dial. You would not receive you old dial back after the work was done.

Thanks! Two Questions, please

1. I thought an "AD is the acronym for "authorized dealer", so I would have to send it directly to RLX or through the "AD"?

2. Do you live in the US....in Europe it seems they do not offer the free battery change....

Thanks a lot for your help!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! Thanks a lot! This is very interesting! I will go to my AD here in Barcelona then in a couple of days just to check what their policies might be....

This helped a lot! Actually, do you know this website? http://www.bgrayjewelers.com/rolexdials.htm

That is the only source I know where you can buy "off" Rolex ....but maybe these are not genuine dials and they will replace it (which would be ok if free of charge) during a subsequent service...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I've seen their web site when I was looking for a dial for another Rolex...I called and at least for what I was looking for, they had already sold a bunch of what was pictured on their site. I've always found ebay to be a better source, but you've got to buy the seller, and it's rather tedious to search and search. Try looking under Oysterquartz and see what comes up. There are a few reliable sellers of dials on ebay, but often the dials are in obviously used shape. If you're a perfectionist, then you have to deal with a dial refinisher...not difficult, but cumbersome and it adds to the cost. But, if you've got an AD that can and will buy from Rolex Spain and install for the price you mentioned earlier, I'd take that path of lease resistance.

Wow! Thanks a lot! This is very interesting! I will go to my AD here in Barcelona then in a couple of days just to check what their policies might be....

This helped a lot! Actually, do you know this website? http://www.bgrayjewelers.com/rolexdials.htm

That is the only source I know where you can buy "off" Rolex ....but maybe these are not genuine dials and they will replace it (which would be ok if free of charge) during a subsequent service...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, you know it is not that urgent, so as my OQ is Vintage anyway, a used dial is not a big deal, if it is not too used ;-)

So thanks a lot! If there is a bargain to be made on ebay, I might go for it, will start searching now. If not....200EUR is ok FMO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts