WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been half wanting to pick up an Oysterquartz for some time, but never sufficiently motivated to actually do so.

I just came across this article about a rare prototype version with a perpetual calendar that I have known about for some time (and which has been mentioned on these pages before), and I thought I would share it. Compared to the information heretofore available about these unusual HAQs, this article, with nice, clear pictures and descriptions, is a revelation. Now, if one of these things ever came my way, I would sell my first born son to buy the thing.

https://www.revolution.watch/rare-finds-rolex-perpetual-calendar-oysterquartz/

·
Premium Member
7,544 Posts
Noob Q: Are Oysterquartz movements thermocompensated?
From the COSC Standards (BOLD mine):

The COSC also certifies quartz chronometers. Since no international standard currently applies to the electronic quartz watch, the COSC has established a test requirement for quartz chronometers based on the ISO 3159 standard. This prescription that certifies their performance as it does for the mechanical chronometer.
In absolute terms, a quartz movement is more precise than a mechanical movement. In reality, quartz is more inconstant, because it is very sensitive to temperature and humidity, which can significantly alter its operational regularity. High quality quartz is therefore equipped to adjust automatically to the frequency of the oscillator according to the ambient conditions. It must be encapsulated in an absolutely watertight manner so as not to be sensitive to moisture.

To take into account the technological characteristics of these products, the COSC has adapted its tests and the precision requirements. To acquire the COSC label, a quartz instrument must benefit from thermo-compensation and rigorous encapsulation. Each quartz chronometer is tested for 13 days, in one position, at 3 different temperatures and 4 different relative humidity levels. The criteria are less numerous, but the tolerance levels are much more stringent.

So... since the OysterQuartz in question is certified as a chronometer, it must be thermo-compensated.

HTH

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I guess if Rolex would assure me that they would service and maintain this watch for me as long as I owned it, I might buy it. Otherwise it probably would be best kept in a Rolex museum, or with the guy that designed and built it.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess if Rolex would assure me that they would service and maintain this watch for me as long as I owned it, I might buy it. Otherwise it probably would be best kept in a Rolex museum, or with the guy that designed and built it.
Given their previous effort to claim ownership of the prototype Oysterquartz that went to auction, I would be far too concerned about Rolex just keeping the watch if ever I sent it back for servicing. I would probably want to find a highly proficient watch service chap with Oysterquartz experience.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the COSC Standards (BOLD mine):

The COSC also certifies quartz chronometers. Since no international standard currently applies to the electronic quartz watch, the COSC has established a test requirement for quartz chronometers based on the ISO 3159 standard. This prescription that certifies their performance as it does for the mechanical chronometer.
In absolute terms, a quartz movement is more precise than a mechanical movement. In reality, quartz is more inconstant, because it is very sensitive to temperature and humidity, which can significantly alter its operational regularity. High quality quartz is therefore equipped to adjust automatically to the frequency of the oscillator according to the ambient conditions. It must be encapsulated in an absolutely watertight manner so as not to be sensitive to moisture.

To take into account the technological characteristics of these products, the COSC has adapted its tests and the precision requirements. To acquire the COSC label, a quartz instrument must benefit from thermo-compensation and rigorous encapsulation. Each quartz chronometer is tested for 13 days, in one position, at 3 different temperatures and 4 different relative humidity levels. The criteria are less numerous, but the tolerance levels are much more stringent.

So... since the OysterQuartz in question is certified as a chronometer, it must be thermo-compensated.

HTH
You have quoted from the new spec. Don't forget that the old COSC quartz chronometer spec (under which the Oysterquartz qualified) did not specify that thermocompensation was necessary. This is how high frequency watches were able to qualify back in the day. The Oysterquartz line, though, was most definitely thermocompensated.

·
Premium Member
7,544 Posts
You have quoted from the new spec. Don't forget that the old COSC quartz chronometer spec (under which the Oysterquartz qualified) did not specify that thermocompensation was necessary. This is how high frequency watches were able to qualify back in the day. The Oysterquartz line, though, was most definitely thermocompensated.
Do you have a link to the old quartz chronometer spec?

TIA

·
Registered
758 Posts
Interesting. Just looking at the picture of the movement of that Day Date Oysterquartz,where is the battery located and what's the procedure for changing it?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Given their previous effort to claim ownership of the prototype Oysterquartz that went to auction, I would be far too concerned about Rolex just keeping the watch if ever I sent it back for servicing. I would probably want to find a highly proficient watch service chap with Oysterquartz experience.
Kind of my point nobody has any experience working on that movement. He is going to figure it out as he goes along, and how about parts. Just saying ain't no service manuals for prototypes.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Yes good technology. I have lost all patience for mechanical movements. Even the Rolex ones. Rollie fans wax on and on about their tough "tool" watches, but the reality is, one good bash on a door jamb or drop onto hard surface and the movement will require service. 8-12 weeks of no watch & $800usd++ fee. Leave your Rollie too close to your phone overnight? Magnetized, even with the new parachrom blu hairspring. Easy enough to fix at home with a demagnetizer but all the same a hassle. Oysterquartz would be great if went back into production but I don't think Rolex can/will do that. I think Grand Seiko have even dis-focused on their quartz movements in favor of mechanicals per their new issues sadly. Citizen & Longines (ETA) the only ones really carrying the HAQ torch forward these days it seems. I really hope the 0100 doesn't die a slow death in limited edition land. 0100 in regular production watches might reinvigorate the whole HAQ market. Most people aren't even aware of HAQ.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I think Grand Seiko have even dis-focused on their quartz movements in favor of mechanicals per their new issues sadly.
GS has new quartz watches, like my new 9F GMT, also diver. Certainly the 5 to 10 times more expensive automatics and spring drives get the limelight, but I suspect the new 9F GMT for example is a big seller already, and has turned at least some enthusiasts towards quartz again. For accuracy and simplicity, combined with top notch GS fit and finish.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Good point. I have an automatic GMT...lemme tell u setting it makes me cringe. I don't believe in winders so when I want to wear it, it's a huge hassle to set properly. Quartz for the win.

GS has new quartz watches, like my new 9F GMT, also diver. Certainly the 5 to 10 times more expensive automatics and spring drives get the limelight, but I suspect the new 9F GMT for example is a big seller already, and has turned at least some enthusiasts towards quartz again. For accuracy and simplicity, combined with top notch GS fit and finish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts