WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a novice when it comes to Panerai. I was very interested in the 88 until I went to a very reputable dealer. Now the guy can easily push me to a more expensive watch yet he strongly suggests the 111. He tells me that the 111 is much more "representative" of the brand than many of the models with complications and even the automatics.
QUESTION: Anyone Agree?
QUESTION: The 111 is the base model with a 48 hour power reserve manual wind, SS W/Second hand correct?
QUESTION: What are the differences between the 111 and the 005? Is the 005 an auto?
QUESTION: I can pick up this watch at $4400 and also establish a good relationship with one of the best dealers in high end watches in my area. But at that price I can purchase a brand new model on the net. Whats the smart buy?

Its not a chain jewelry store, he is a certified Rolex tech and works on Pateks on a regular basis. In fact today he was assisting a client with a $125,000 Patek. I would like to hold out for a J series witrh the push button strap release but buying from this dealer offers perks like free polishing, free strap changes, etc. so buying from him does have advantages.

·
4,071 Posts
I would agree that the "Historic" line is much more in line with the spirit/heritage of Panerai.

What series is the 111 that your dealer is trying to sell you? Why would like to hold out for a J series? To my knowledge, none of the Historic line will be offered with the new strap change system. Although, I could be wrong on that point.

Having said all that, buy the watch that you like. Don't buy something that someone else thinks you *should* buy.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Naturally I wouldn't buy a watch simply because of an opinion. The dealer did make me rethink my original choice. I already own a watch with several complications so going "Historic" now appeals to me. I do believe that the new 111 does have the "quick release" but I am no expert. I have a bad right hand so a push button release would be quite desirable.
What Historic Pam's offer the display back besides the 111?
BTW: Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Historic PAMs that have back display are: PAM000, PAM 005, PAM 0114, PAM 0112, PAM 0176, PAM, 113, PAM 177, PAM 219.
My personal thought is that buy what you like. I love PAM 088 but am getting a PAM 113H as I like the "historic" aspects and I am more willing to wear it daily as it's less expensive.

·
4,071 Posts
Historic PAMs that have back display are: PAM000, PAM 005, PAM 0114, PAM 0112, PAM 0176, PAM, 113, PAM 177, PAM 219.
My personal thought is that buy what you like. I love PAM 088 but am getting a PAM 113H as I like the "historic" aspects and I am more willing to wear it daily as it's less expensive.
I believe that all of the historics, except for the 000 and 005 have display case backs. The 000 and 005 "logo" models have closed casebacks, I believe. Unless they changed that for the most recent series.

Slave, are you talking about the new strap changing system, or are you talking about a deployant clasp instead of a tang buckle?

The 111 is a fine choice for a historic. I'm kinda partial to the base models (no sub-seconds dial), though. So, personally my next PAM will be a 000, 112 or a 176.

Oh, BTW, the PAMs with the Unitas based movements have a power reserve of 56 hours, not 48. ;-)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was discussing the J series strap changing system. I have been told its not all that easy either. Frankly I think the 2 most attractive pieces are the 88 and the 98. I also must remember if I go with a 104 for example I will save roughly 4K. Tough call since when you drop 4K Plus on a watch you better damn well LOVE it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts