WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried this 177 on a little while ago and am going back and forth on whether I can really pull this off. Seems a little large with some overhang on my wrist. I tried a few others on that day, and from some angles the lugs on the other watches seem to just line up with the edge of my wrist, but it's really close. I'm including one picture of the 177 twice (rotated just in case that's easier to see). Including a couple others from the same day.

Interested to hear your honest thoughts.

panerai_177.jpeg
panerai_177 copy.jpg
panerai_177_profile.jpeg
panerai_5xx.jpeg
Panerai_Rad.jpeg
Panerai_1312.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have a 6.75 wrist also, and the 42mm fit best. The 40mm ones just seemed to thick, and anything over 42mm wore huge, IMO. The model numbers I forget.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I can see why you’re going back and forth on this, in these pics it’s pretty borderline- I’d love to see it from further away to get a better perspective.

Anyway, great looking dive watch and they are meant to be on the large size so I’m leaning towards being an enabler.
If you love it, go for it. I think you can make it work.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
It looks great. It’s a certain look fir sure and the scale should be adjusted for Panerai scale. Oversized is the look. I wear a PAM112 on a 7 inch wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's a Panerai, it's meant to be big. I wear a 44mm with a 6.5 inch wrist. Is it "objectively" too big with some lug overhang? Yep. Is anyone going to notice from more than a metre away, or more importantly, is anyone going to care? Probably not.

I'd be comfortable with any of the photos you posted. If you like the watch, buy it and enjoy it!

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
I’d echo the others,pams are supposed to wear big...

I have the same wrist size as you but my daily wear is 47mm

Here’s how it looks in more natural setting

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have to agree with bjjkk. With a similar sized wrist, I wouldn't exceed 42mm. If you're asking, you're sensing that something's off. At least for you. I picked up a 42mm for dress purposes. In a suit, I don't want a watch that looks more like a bangle. So, 42 mm in a panerai, because of the lug configuration, is the largest I would go. Up to you of course, but if you're on the fence, I'd lean towards conservative.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Well, to me, it looks perfect. It's a Panerai, and they are big watches. It fits your wrist just as a Panerai should IMO. I have a 7.25in wrist, and my 47mm Luminor fits just like the one 177 fits you. You can probably even wear a 47mm Radiomir, if you find one you like in the future.

Once you wear it for a while, then you will find anything else feels really small. That titanium is striking, and for that reason I would also go with that one. Get it any enjoy it!

Cheers,
Carl

PAM 673 47mm on 7.25in wrist. Yes, it's big, but I love it!

PAM 673.JPEG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses everyone. Based on the opinions coming from both sides (glad to see a slight lean toward picking one up), it looks like I really am right on the edge and it'll come down to personal preference. I'll just add that any Panerai I pick up would be worn in situations ranging from business casual (typically button-down with sleeves rolled up) to casual -- hopefully including real casual on a beach somewhere. On occasions where I need to go more formal I'd probably throw something else on, unless I'm so enamored by the watch that I can't remove it from my wrist.

I'm also realizing now that finding that 177 was probably a bit of a fluke. Doesn't look like I should get my hopes up of finding a new one with any ease. The 562 and 564 look like nice alternatives, and the tobacco dial brings something to the table in my eyes, but the fact that I may not even have the option of choosing a new titanium with black dial is a bit disappointing. I'll need to get back to an AD and try some more on and see if anything grabs hold long enough to get the card out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I see what you mean. That 47mm looks right at home in that shot. Seems like you've actually got room to spare. I think in my case I'd be pushing it a bit with a 47mm, but I guess I won't count out the 44mm just yet.

Well, to me, it looks perfect. It's a Panerai, and they are big watches. It fits your wrist just as a Panerai should IMO. I have a 7.25in wrist, and my 47mm Luminor fits just like the one 177 fits you. You can probably even wear a 47mm Radiomir, if you find one you like in the future.

Once you wear it for a while, then you will find anything else feels really small. That titanium is striking, and for that reason I would also go with that one. Get it any enjoy it!

Cheers,
Carl

PAM 673 47mm on 7.25in wrist. Yes, it's big, but I love it!

View attachment 14299657

That is a really great look. The watch and the jacket look excellent together.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have a couple of 44mm watches I picked up early on. I still wear them, but not all day. They get uncomfortable after awhile, and I end up taking off and using it as a desk clock.

That's the issue I have with a 6.75 wrist anything over 42mm starts to wear uncomfortable for me. Not bad for a night out, but not all day wear for me.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
looking at all these pictures. i think 177 fits you best.
firstly it doesn't look abnormal on your wrist. also, try to stay away from the 44mm 1950 case. they definitely look larger than the Bettarini case.
sure you are on the borderline with the 44mm but looks great IMO. another advantage with the 177 Vs all other watches is the Titanium case that feels a lot lighter on the wrist. so there's no fatigue after wearing it all day. in fact after a while you won't know you're wearing a watch.
good luck wit your decision.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Visited an AD today and left less certain than I was when I arrived. I knew going in they didn't have the 177, but they did have the 562, 564 and 797. Based on my previous experiences and the pictures I posted earlier, along with the comments, I felt pretty certain that either the 562 or 564 would be the one. This was due to the titanium look plus the fit of that particular case. Instead, a few things were throwing me off:

1) It seems some of the weight I gained since my last time in a Panerai boutique went to my wrist, as almost all of the 44mm watches I tried seemed doable from a size standpoint
2) The lack of 177 meant I was looking at a new scenario with titanium + brown dial that I had no special attachment to
3) The strap that happened to be on any given watch seemed to completely transform the feel of the watch (case in point, black, base dial PAMs helped form my view of Panerai as beautiful, fun and somewhat offbeat and adventurous, but on a black strap it looks almost sober and formal)
4) Difficulty resetting between watches and figuring out what I was going for
5) The appearance of a 233 which, while out of my price range, was totally different and I think I was pulling it off

Anyway, not sure what I'm doing to do next, but here are some photos:

797_close.jpg
564_close.jpg
562_close.jpg
560_close.jpg
Bracelet_close.jpg
233_close.jpg
797_far.jpg

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
233 is only slightly bigger than standard 44mm bettarini luminors

I think either models look okay on your wrist,but probably you’re coming from smaller watch,that’s why Panerai feels oversized

If you don’t mind,better find a pre owned 176/177 as these are the only black dial titanium luminor,the previous ones (55,56,61) and the recent ones (562,564) all have tobacco dial

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
233 is only slightly bigger than standard 44mm bettarini luminors

I think either models look okay on your wrist,but probably you’re coming from smaller watch,that’s why Panerai feels oversized

If you don’t mind,better find a pre owned 176/177 as these are the only black dial titanium luminor,the previous ones (55,56,61) and the recent ones (562,564) all have tobacco dial
The 233 case is pretty much the 1950s case, right? Are these bigger mainly due to the corners of the case flaring out a bit more than the Bettarini Luminors?

I was surprised at the experience yesterday. Pretty much from the moment I tried on the first watch (797), the diameter of the watches wasn't really phasing me like they had in the past, regardless of case. That messed with my original logic a bit though as there didn't seem to be a strong reason for focusing on titanium Bettarini models, especially with tobacco dials I had never even seen before.

Trying some of the other watches, I could notice the 233 felt more top heavy than the others, but there wasn't enough time on the wrist to get a sense for whether that would be drawback as a daily wearer. Really nice looking watch. It seemed to get the most immediate positive reaction from my girlfriend who was there as well, but at ~$4k more than anything else I was looking at I wasn't prepared to consider watches in that price range.

Long story short, it was great to get exposure to more watches, but in some ways I feel like I'm a couple steps back in terms of making a final decision.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Visited an AD today and left less certain than I was when I arrived. I knew going in they didn't have the 177, but they did have the 562, 564 and 797. Based on my previous experiences and the pictures I posted earlier, along with the comments, I felt pretty certain that either the 562 or 564 would be the one. This was due to the titanium look plus the fit of that particular case. Instead, a few things were throwing me off:

1) It seems some of the weight I gained since my last time in a Panerai boutique went to my wrist, as almost all of the 44mm watches I tried seemed doable from a size standpoint
2) The lack of 177 meant I was looking at a new scenario with titanium + brown dial that I had no special attachment to
3) The strap that happened to be on any given watch seemed to completely transform the feel of the watch (case in point, black, base dial PAMs helped form my view of Panerai as beautiful, fun and somewhat offbeat and adventurous, but on a black strap it looks almost sober and formal)
4) Difficulty resetting between watches and figuring out what I was going for
5) The appearance of a 233 which, while out of my price range, was totally different and I think I was pulling it off

Anyway, not sure what I'm doing to do next, but here are some photos:
You can pull off any of these! And yes, the strap totally changes the look and feel of the watch - one of the joys of Panerai.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've always loved the "softness" of the 177/176. They just seem warmer, I think due to the dull/matte appearance of the titanium case. Gorgeous on the brown croc strap it comes with. Get it! It looks great. You'll get used to it within days and be like, why didn't I get this sooner?!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've always loved the "softness" of the 177/176. They just seem warmer, I think due to the dull/matte appearance of the titanium case. Gorgeous on the brown croc strap it comes with. Get it! It looks great. You'll get used to it within days and be like, why didn't I get this sooner?!
That softness of the titanium appealed to me too. The nice thing about the 177 is it had the toned down titanium with all the versatility of the black dial. My concern with the 562 and 564 are the titanium plus brown dial and minimalist face might be a little more mellow than I want for my one Panerai, and I also probably sacrifice some versatility on straps.

I'm opening my mind back up to the 797 which I immediately liked a lot when I first put it on. I didn't give a fair shot to it in part because the light strap was kind of distracting me, but also it was up against a lot of other options that day including the 562/564 plus other black dial options that I had intended to focus on going in. The 797 has the sandwich dial going for it, and that more pronounced second color in the ecru lume adds some life and could open more possibilities with straps that can play off that extra color on the dial.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts