WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried on the PAM 577 yesterday at the Officine Panerai Boutique in Dallas. The watch truly sat on my wrist very well.

A question for my fellow Paneristi enthusiast that own a ceramica Panerai. Does the ceramica scratch easier than SS and how does it hold up overall in your opinion?

TIA!

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
I will answer based on my experience with 292 and 441

Personally I like the ceramic as a watch case material since it's light and doesn't scratch,however because it's tough,it might crack if it falls down or hit at the wrong angle

I tried 577 when I visited the boutique in Lisbon,it's surprisingly compact for 48mm watch,though I like the 375 better because of its unique color and lightness

·
Premium Member
7,042 Posts
My 292 ceramic is approx. 6 yrs old and the case is spotless....my 000, of about the same vintage, has a few small scratches on it, and I had to "cape cod" it yesterday to buff some out....

so I would give the ceramic the nod.

image.jpeg
Shameless 292 pic...and no, not a scratch at 6 o'clock, shadows...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I tried on the PAM 577 yesterday at the Officine Panerai Boutique in Dallas. The watch truly sat on my wrist very well.

A question for my fellow Paneristi enthusiast that own a ceramica Panerai. Does the ceramica scratch easier than SS and how does it hold up overall in your opinion?

TIA!
My 384 from the Dallas area as well. The case has held up remarkably well.
I have had a couple issues...
1. The screw on the buckle keeps getting loose and I have to keep tightening it.
2. The 8 day manual wind movement had a hiccup recently and had to be sent to panerai to get serviced.

Looks great though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reactions: bigclive2011

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Personally I like the ceramic as a watch case material since it's light and doesn't scratch,however because it's tough,it might crack if it falls down or hit at the wrong angle

I tried 577 when I visited the boutique in Lisbon,it's surprisingly compact for 48mm watch,though I like the 375 better because of its unique color and lightness
I too really like the 375 due to the color. The two people working at the boutique both said the 375 was a composite, not ceramic. (?) Also, both said it does scratch easily in their experience.

Both also said that ceramic did not scratch scratch easily but could crack if dropped. Would love to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I too really like the 375 due to the color. The two people working at the boutique both said the 375 was a composite, not ceramic. (?) Also, both said it does scratch easily in their experience.

Both also said that ceramic did not scratch scratch easily but could crack if dropped. Would love to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
From my personal experience with composite (339) it doesn't scratch easily as I didn't baby any of my watches,but one thing for sure,it's so light...

As for ceramic,yes they're hard (doesn't scratch easily) but brittle (might crack) because the material is more rigid than say a normal metal when it falls...same thing as sapphire that resists scratch but still possible to crack upon impact as opposed to plexiglass that is softer but almost impossible to shatter

Personally my favorite case material is still titanium as it combines the toughness with lightness and the greyness of color...with ceramic comes at second place...I find composite to be a bit too out there for comfort (and consequently to be an only pam)

·
Registered
34 Posts
DO NOT BUY COMPOSITE. My watch is still under warranty and was left in its box for 2-3 months in fear of scratching it after reading about scratches and discolouration online. This weekend, due to a potential sale, I took it out for a quick wipe down. And literally after my microfibre cloth went over the spot, a huge chunk of the Composite literally cracked off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Any further details about the composite flake that came off? What did Panerai have to say about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
568 Posts
I wear a 441 on rotation with a couple of steel watches. All my steel cases are scratched, ceramic still perfect ... have banged it whilst on the wrist a few times, with 'the other party' taking the brunt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts