WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1/28/2010 - Please feel free to leave a comment. Getting ready to do a one year review. Let me know if you want something included or covered.

----------------------------------
I'm having problem getting the pics to show so here's a link to them.

Link

Okay, so here's my story. I've been cruising the forums for hours and I ended up at the homages section. I really liked the look of Panerai's but could never really see myself paying that much for a watch. Anyways after hours and hours of reading I ended up going with Davidsen mainly because he has gotten a lot of happy customers and his price range was on the lower end.

OPTIONS
Here's a list of who my possibles were because of the forum. All of these got praises from the forum. But ultimately I ended up with Davidsen because of Anton C who wrote a review and had really nice pics of the watch.
JOA -Jorell
Ray Knight
Marine Diver - International Watchman

Here's a link to the Anton C's article and pictures. Linky
Some of Anton C's Pics

COMMUNICATION
The somewhat difficult process was the communication with Davidsen. You can only contact him though email. He was quick to reply and I believe there was a small amount of language barrier. He would answer some of my questions but ultimately not all. I emailed him a lot just to make sure I get exactly what I ordered.

My order was easy because I used pictures. And I used exact description, which was provided by Anton C. He said that he had some stock so there really was no lead time for me. Before he sent the watch he sent me some pics of what I was to receive. Here it is.

This watch was not the exact as the one Anton C. has you can tell by the lettering and the swiss made on the bottom. But I still like it.

The only thing that bothered me with the watch was the exhibition case back. I've heard of people selling and saying that they have this homage with a Sapphire Caseback, but Davidsen said that he has none, so I asked for a sterile one with it just in case. And he agreed to give me the sterile case back separate.

Cool lume shot. Many of the forum talks speaks highly of the lume for David. Ultimately this is why I went with a bit more quality homage because of the lume quality. Not that I have experience with other replicas or homages, but I went with the forums advices.

PAYMENT
This is the somewhat scary part. Davidsen only takes 4 types of payments and basically they are all wire transfer.

1.By western Union
2.By moneybookers
3.By Moneygram
4.Bank to bank telegraphic transfer

Davidsen said "SORRY NO PAYPAL AS MY A/C BEEN SUPENSED DUE TO REPLICA TRADING."

I was a bit hesitant, but too many people have ordered and there have been absolutely no complain about dealing with him. So really just go for it.
He also accepts returns and really works with what the problem is.

SHIPPING
The shipping was very fast. He uses EMS shipping. I think he sent it on 12/31/08 and I received the watch on 1/3/09.

PACKAGING
I really have no experience with how they should pack watches, but here's pics of how Davidsen does it.
Link

WATCH
To be honest I really did not know what to expect, but my expectations were pretty high. I basically trusted everyone in the forums opinion. Considering I am fairly new to collecting watches/timepieces, I figured everyone in here is pretty knowledgeable and ultimately they did not fail. So here's what I love about the watch. First the watch is substantial. Then there are no sharp edges as some of the cheaper homages have, or so I've heard. The dial is sandwich type and it looks supurb/high quality. I had doubts about the gold hands, but since I got it, that has been my favorite about the watch. It shines in different angles and looks stunning. You can see the picture I took and a Link to other pics.

Link

Love the sandwich dial... looks pretty deep here. Love the gold hands as well.

Here's the Description I sent to Davidsen using many of Anton C. description.

CASE
47mm stainless steel case based on the 1950 design
26mm lug width, 57mm lug to lug
Brushed finishing, polished bezel
Sterile lever guard
Mineral case back on watch & Sterile Case back packed separately

30meters water resistance tested

DIAL
Sandwich with Super Luminova
Sub second dial at 9 o' clock
...... Militare text on dial, big font, RXW style

HANDS
Gold with Super Luminova

CRYSTAL
High domed sapphire
Anti Reflective Coating on the underside

MOVEMENT
Swiss Unitas 6497 17 jewels hand winding

STRAP
Please send a brown colored strap. My wrist is small so hopefully it will fit a 6 and 3/4" inch wrist.

STRAP

Not really too familiar with straps, but I have a pretty small wrist. 6"3/4 so he gave me a standard one. I asked for brown, but he only had black. I also hear on the forums that he gives both colors, but I guess he only has black for the smaller wrists. I will probably look for a new one. Here's my choises so far, going with the forum's top guys again.

Zack/Old Skool - Red 12
Strap Culture
Heroic18
Ted Su - Kevlar Strap and Dive Buckle
Panatime
and maybe a forum member Crew

CROWN GUARD
I think that this was what I was worried about. First if it was substantial, second if it was loose and wiggles and third if it was only for aesthetics purposes only. I really have not felt a real Panerai so I really don't know how it feels. My friend has a fake one and I thought that the lever was flimsy, so this worried me. Overall it fits tight when closed and really does serve a purpose when it is locked. However, the lever does wiggle, but I don't know if a real Panerai does, I'm guessing not. Anyways I am still satisfied with it.

THE LUME
I'll let the picture speak for itself. Homage next to a Seiko 5 Mile Marker Diver Automatic.

Link

ACCURACY

Tested itand it's about +3 sec/ day. Which I think meets COSC standards. I think this is where Davidsen regulates the watch to about.

POWER RESERVE
Okay just tested the power reserve and I get a whopping 48.5 hours of reserve, which is pretty good.

FYI
In case you feel like a noob and don't really want to ask anyone here's a few hints on how the how to...

WATCH WINDING
As some member have helped me. They say to wind the watch clockwise or towards the top. In other words away from you. It takes about 30-40 full revolutions to get it fully wound. Don't worry about over winding it as you will feel the tension. Just slow down a bit and you will feel it stop. Please do not force it after that. Also it is normal to have it come back a little as you are turning.

DSN / DAVISEN INFO
If you have questions for him you can email him at [email protected]
Blog Link and Info: Linky
Photos of Watches: Linky

OTHER WATCH MAKERS INFO
JOA -Jorell ([email protected])
Ray Knight
Marine Diver - International Watchman - Ron ([email protected])

STRAP MAKERS CONTACT
Red12 -Zack ([email protected])
Ted Su ([email protected])

Hope this helps someone.

THE INSPIRATION
Brief History - Linky at Paneristi

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Wonderful post! Please don't apologize for the length of a review. Very glad that you got a terrific watch without any problems.

Welcome to WUS - collecting watches is a sickness for which we know of no cure.b-)

I'm having problem getting the pics to show so here's a link to them.

Link

Okay, so here's my story. I've been cruising the forums for hours and I ended up at the homages section. I really liked the look of Panerai's but could never really see myself paying that much for a watch. Anyways after hours and hours of reading I ended up going with Davidsen mainly because he has gotten a lot of happy customers and his price range was on the lower end.

OPTIONS
Here's a list of who my possibles were because of the forum. All of these got praises from the forum. But ultimately I ended up with Davidsen because of Anton C who wrote a review and had really nice pics of the watch.
JOA -Jorell
Ray Knight
Marine Diver - International Watchman

COMMUNICATION
The somewhat difficult process was the communication with Davidsen. You can only contact him though email. He was quick to reply and I believe there was a small amount of language barrier. He would answer some of my questions but ultimately not all. I emailed him a lot just to make sure I get exactly what I ordered.

My order was easy because I used pictures. And I used exact description, which was provided by Anton C. He said that he had some stock so there really was no lead time for me. Before he sent the watch he sent me some pics of what I was to receive. Here it is.

This watch was not the exact as the one Anton C. has you can tell by the lettering and the swiss made on the bottom. But I still like it.

The only thing that bothered me with the watch was the exhibition case back. I've heard of people selling and saying that they have this homage with a Sapphire Caseback, but Davidsen said that he has none, so I asked for a sterile one with it just in case. And he agreed to give me the sterile case back separate.

Cool lume shot. Many of the forum talks speaks highly of the lume for David. Ultimately this is why I went with a bit more quality homage because of the lume quality. Not that I have experience with other replicas or homages, but I went with the forums advices.

PAYMENT
This is the somewhat scary part. Davidsen only takes 4 types of payments and basically they are all wire transfer.

1.By western Union
2.By moneybookers
3.By Moneygram
4.Bank to bank telegraphic transfer

Davidsen said "SORRY NO PAYPAL AS
MY A/C BEEN SUPENSED DUE TO REPLICA TRADING."

I was a bit hesitant, but too many people have ordered and there have been absolutely no complain about dealing with him. So really just go for it.
He also accepts returns and really works with what the problem is.

SHIPPING
The shipping was very fast. He uses EMS shipping. I think he sent it on 12/31/08 and I received the watch on 1/3/09.

PACKAGING
I really have no experience with how they should pack watches, but here's pics of how Davidsen does it.

WATCH
To be honest I really did not know what to expect, but my expectations were pretty high. I basically trusted everyone in the forums opinion. Considering I am fairly new to collecting watches/timepieces, I figured everyone in here is pretty knowledgeable and ultimately they did not fail. So here's what I love about the watch. First the watch is substantial. Then there are no sharp edges as some of the cheaper homages have, or so I've heard. The dial is sandwich type and it looks supurb/high quality. I had doubts about the gold hands, but since I got it, that has been my favorite about the watch. It shines in different angles and looks stunning. Here is a pic that I took.

STRAP

Not really too familiar with straps, but I have a pretty small wrist. 6"3/4 so he gave me a standard one. I asked for brown, but he only had black. I also hear on the forums that he gives both colors, but I guess he only has black for the smaller wrists. I will probably look for a new one. Here's my choises so far, going with the forum's top guys again.

Zack/Old Skool - Red 12
Strap Culture
Heroic18
Ted Su - Kevlar Strap and Dive Buckle
Panatime
and maybe a forum member Crew

CROWN GUARD
I think that this was what I was worried about. First if it was substantial, second if it was loose and wiggles and third if it was only for aesthetics purposes only. I really have not felt a real Panerai so I really don't know how it feels. My friend has a fake one and I thought that the lever was flimsy, so this worried me. Overall it fits tight when closed and really does serve a purpose when it is locked. However, the lever does wiggle, but I don't know if a real Panerai does, I'm guessing not. Anyways I am still satisfied with it.

THE LUME
I'll let the picture speak for itself. Homage next to a Seiko 5 Mile Marker Diver Automatic.

ACCURACY

Tested itand it's about +3 sec/ day. Which I think meets COSC standards. I think this is where Davidsen regulates the watch to about.

POWER RESERVE
Not tested yet.

Sorry the message is so long. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Wonderful post! Please don't apologize for the length of a review. Very glad that you got a terrific watch without any problems.

Welcome to WUS - collecting watches is a sickness for which we know of no cure.b-)
You should apologize for quoting the whole post instead of just replying. o|

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Mido guy!

Thanks for the welcome. I read your review on why you are very into Mido, I found it interesting and you are very knowledgeable. You are right about collecting watches, I have always loved watches, but never thought of collecting until just a few years back.

I met a guy who had I believe over 50 watches and he was so passionate about each one and the movement and that intrigued me. I always though 1 watch was enough because that's what everyone says. But now I'm hooked can't stop reading and learning and I truly enjoy the craftsmanship.

But you are absolutely right about the sickness!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Very nice review! Any chance you could update the pics as several of the links are broken?

Btw, how has the watch held up so far?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Wow, was away from watch forums for sometime. Thanx for mentioning my blog.

Just a little update for mine, one and a half years later this watch is still great! And Zack's strap is great too! Customized for the humid weather around here.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem! Your blog is cool and you are a great photographer. :-! Your blog also made me want to get a Poljot Chrono with the same band. Keep it up. This article Linky

Wow, was away from watch forums for sometime. Thanx for mentioning my blog.

Just a little update for mine, one and a half years later this watch is still great! And Zack's strap is great too! Customized for the humid weather around here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
smascarinas,

very informative review and helpful for noobies like me. i'm also on the same boat, new to militare homages, scouring the internet for information, read the 76 paged pam homage thread and now bitten by the bug.

still contemplating though if i'll go straigh with artisans JOA or DSN... or start humbly with Getat.

i hope you don't mind, which among the payment schemes you opted? can you post pictures of the watch worn on your wrist? we have the same wrist size and been thinking if the 47mm is big for me. lastly, i followed the link for more pictures but the picasa album was empty. off topic... are you filipino?

SJACKAL,

thanks for the detailed description of your DSN watch. i used the same specs except for the swiss swan neck movement and chromed RXW hands for my product inquiry to DSN, JOA and Getat. i also made your watch as a benchmark on comparing the other homages and its always on my top 3 choices.

Docrwm,

i beg to disagree... there's a cure for watch addiction... poverty:-d

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
smascarinas,

very informative review and helpful for noobies like me. i'm also on the same boat, new to militare homages, scouring the internet for information, read the 76 paged pam homage thread and now bitten by the bug.

still contemplating though if i'll go straigh with artisans JOA or DSN... or start humbly with Getat.

i hope you don't mind, which among the payment schemes you opted? can you post pictures of the watch worn on your wrist? we have the same wrist size and been thinking if the 47mm is big for me. lastly, i followed the link for more pictures but the picasa album was empty. off topic... are you filipino?
That's a tough decision you got there. I guess you couldn't go wrong with any of them from the forums. I ultimately went with DSN cause of his pricing and a lot of great pics from the forum people like Anton C. At that time Getat wasn't a viable option yet so not sure how much Getat charges.

I went via Western Union with Davidsen. And the size of the watch is pretty substantial. This is probably my threshold. I've heard that they make a mini fiddy case. Anyways the lugs are almost at the tips, but still don't hang out. I think it still looks pretty good, but wondering what the 44mm would look like. Plus the strap options that the 44mm comes with. Anyways I've attached some pics... and yes I am Filipino how did you know? Oh... sorry about the links I guess I didn't realize that I didn't make the album public and every time I was logged on it worked. I think it's fixed so the links should now be officially okay.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
smascarinas,

thanks for the quick reply and the pictures. i don't know if it's just me but i had a hard time looking for posts that states their wrist size, case diameter and the picture that goes with it. i'm worried about the lugs going pass my wrist. fortunately the picture said otherwise and still fit nicely for our wrist.

i guess you made the settings for picasa where the intended links for the DSN are made private and the rest of your album public. i apologize for looking the rest of the album because i thought you posted the wrong link, that's were i learned that your filipino.

thank you very much!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I followed the link to his blog but I can't find any prices?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I followed the link to his blog but I can't find any prices?
I was curious about this as well. I have emailed both JOA and Davidsen and the latter's prices seem to be significantly higher. I was curious if anyone has had this experience as Davidsen's prices are mentioned as being better around the forum.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts