WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it's just me, but Panerai really annoys me. I find the all of the base models to be very basic in style, yet I understand they're iconic. I'm apathetic to these models, but I understand why people like them.

However, what really gets to me is that they're best looking watches, in my opinion, such as the Carbotech Submersibles, are $15-$41K (the two pictured here at $17,400 and $41K respectively. Really?). Do the movements justify these price points? I don't think so. I don't believe the brand warrants that price stratosphere either.

Watch Analog watch Clock Everyday carry Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Clock Font Material property

Then they release the Luna Rossa, which is an absolutely beautiful piece. I got really excited when I saw the price point of $9,400. I mean it was actually not instantly dismissed like when I see a Carbotech price. So I go to seek one out. Only 500 pieces made. Selling on the grey market for $25K. Huh? I'm sorry but Panerai isn't Rolex, and I can't stand Rolex for their strategy of increasing demand while production remains static.

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Watch accessory

Wait there is hope, the stunning Luminor Chrono Monopulsante. Huh, that can't be right. $22,500. I mean, blow me. I'm done. Out. You've totally lost me. And that's where I'm at with this brand. I mean I thought you had to sell watches before trying to price yourself into elite status, and they just aren't there yet for me. Anybody else feel the same, or am I out of line here?

Watch Analog watch Everyday carry Clock Font

Attachments

·
Registered
8,074 Posts
Rough day?

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
17,300 Posts
While I understand your sentiment as a potential buyer, I cannot get upset with a company for pricing things at a level people are willing to pay

It sounds like you (and I) are not their target customers

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just looked at a few. The quality control is bad, very very bad.
Have a look at a movement. Very rough finishing.
I think some of the replicas are of higher quality.

The one I saw at the dealer had sloppy mismatched brushing and a wavy case. I couldn't believe it made it out of the factory, then still being shown to customers.
Really it was really really bad. Let me get this straight for the dua, or whatever. It has the overbuilt clamp on the crown for water resistance but only rated to 30 Meters? It 'looks' like it was designed to be waterproof, yet you can barely get it wet...

I'm sure there are lots of satisfied owners out there. I just don't think the quality control is there. If you get a good one, more power to you.
I'm certainly not going to tell you not to like them.

They do have an aesthetic that has a large following.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
This seems like a post from someone who went out innocently enough looking to purchase a time piece but ran smack dab into being sold on a lifestyle. Most likely the OP had he not recently been out amongst the peoples and ADs and who knows where else this lead him wouldn't be so steamed about something most already know .. watches arent actually based on the sum of their parts.

Its kind of a different topic but the wife & I were talking last night on the irony that the absolute richest people on planet earth are often offered literally everything for free ... yet the dude living on the street probably couldn't get any of the brands we were speaking of to piss on them if on fire ... the attempted connection is , isnt it funny how when we go to purchase a microbrand we evaluate everything based on which movement , sapphire? Any decent extra straps etc etc totally rationally evaluating the offer...

Mean while the big 3 , 5 , 7 could offer up mineral glass with a unitas manual wind slap some lume on it and say now line up , put your name down here and if you are lucky we will let you spend 5, 6 , 7 figures... and you get nothing extra , you're welcome. But such is life on earth 2021 .....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
617 Posts
I like the look and have considered a pam, only I've yet to find a AD to look at one. Also have noticed basic eta movements and not so basic prices, but I could be wrong?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Pams were the first watches i fell in love with a decade ago because they are so recognizable and simple. Sometimes more is less right?

Wholeheartedly agree on them being overpriced. There are few models that are priced reasonably honestly. I would never buy one brand new for that reason, but would consider buying used at a price that would hold value indefinitely.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The white Luminor is nice. That's the same Submersible I had, except mine was newer. $8K is what I paid. I was kicking myself a month later when I was bored of it. Got $6,500 on a trade in.

Going back to the Luna Rossa, and some of the other limited releases. I don't understand it. They're leaving money on the table. When you sell out of watches and people still want them, that means you left money on the table. Make more watches and people will buy them. And again, Panerai is not Rolex.

Anyway, thanks for reading my rant. I guess it is me, but I'm ok with that.
I like the look and have considered a pam, only I've yet to find a AD to look at one. Also have noticed basic eta movements and not so basic prices, but I could be wrong?
That's one of my major beefs. The movements don't match the price. All the Panerai fan boys are claiming to be a part of some exclusive club of people that "get it". In reality, they're overpriced watches with average movements. For the record, I can't stand Rolex and don't own one, and ironically Panerai subscribes to the same short production run, high price strategy. Actually, considering Rolex has better movements and better quality, and better sell on value, Panerai's prices are way more offensive.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I tried the carbon tech… really liked it. Cool and very panerai, yet very very light. I have had a Pam 176 (titanium 2 hander) for at least 10 years. Love it. My wife loves it as she met me in it and it’s staying.

Agree the price was a bit high, well very high.

The only knock I have is it’s such a pronounced astetic it seems hard to justify two variation in a collection under 10 pieces. The carbo seemed like it might fit, but the price led me to think there’s others out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Blancpain, Panerai, OWC, Magrette, Sinn
1,381 Posts
I like mine, they are both older Unitas based models, easily serviced by just about anyone. They were not any more expensive than a pre-owned Omega, IWC, or Brietling. They are solid pieces with a history and heritage. The early Luminors and Radiomirs have a lot of that early military tool watch DNA In their design. I bought mine pre-owned, and I do not baby them, I enjoy them immensely, and routinely beat on them.

Watch Analog watch Silver Clock Grey

I would not, and could not pay the crazy prices ADs are asking for new pieces. But that price craziness applies to just about any brand, not just Panerai. I have been collecting for some time now, and I don’t know if it is the pandemic, the new economy, or just more people getting into watches, but there seems to be a LOT of people out there willing to pay a LOT of money to get what they want, when they want. Supply and demand economics.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts