WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
While I understand your sentiment as a potential buyer, I cannot get upset with a company for pricing things at a level people are willing to pay

It sounds like you (and I) are not their target customers
That makes three. Like the looks. Not the prices.

Reactions: Mediocre

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but Panerai really annoys me. I find the all of the base models to be very basic in style, yet I understand they're iconic. I'm apathetic to these models, but I understand why people like them.

However, what really gets to me is that they're best looking watches, in my opinion, such as the Carbotech Submersibles, are $15-$41K (the two pictured here at $17,400 and $41K respectively. Really?). Do the movements justify these price points? I don't think so. I don't believe the brand warrants that price stratosphere either.

View attachment 16121313 View attachment 16121318

Then they release the Luna Rossa, which is an absolutely beautiful piece. I got really excited when I saw the price point of $9,400. I mean it was actually not instantly dismissed like when I see a Carbotech price. So I go to seek one out. Only 500 pieces made. Selling on the grey market for $25K. Huh? I'm sorry but Panerai isn't Rolex, and I can't stand Rolex for their strategy of increasing demand while production remains static.

View attachment 16121344

Wait there is hope, the stunning Luminor Chrono Monopulsante. Huh, that can't be right. $22,500. I mean, blow me. I'm done. Out. You've totally lost me. And that's where I'm at with this brand. I mean I thought you had to sell watches before trying to price yourself into elite status, and they just aren't there yet for me. Anybody else feel the same, or am I out of line here?

View attachment 16121350
No. Nothing justifies a $15k price.

well, almost nothing. But NOTHING justifies that price.

people will still pay it, though…

·
Registered
99 Posts
What are your feelings about RM and 10x the price? For a brand with no history and hardly any significant innovations they still seem to be selling out.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I have always appreciated their unique designs. Never really considered them due to their larger size and price, so I never looked closely or read reviews regarding value for money. I don’t need those things to appreciate them on others wrists in this forum!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I feel like Breitling sits in the same category. yet the resale is crap compared to new. the refinement on the movements they use are really well done, albeit souped up ETA, but I’ll take a built Chevy 350 any day of the week. I don’t get it but the market sets it’s own prices. something is only worth what someone else will pay for it. And I guess that’s the bottom line. We are just fish swimming in their ocean.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I’ve said this before, Panerai marketing is an absolute disaster. Ridiculous amount of “limited editions”, disproportionate pricing and DISMAL resale value. As much as I love the older pieces and the history of the brand, today they are nothing more than overpriced fashion watches.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
To be honest, Panerai annoys me too. They push their hype to the point of lying about their movements (spoiler : no, in-house they aren't). Plenty of threads here describing the deceptive marketing tactics. Yep, Panerai is highly annoying.

·
Premium Member
5,740 Posts
I was dismissive of the brand for about a decade lol. Then I picked up this:

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

·
Registered
600 Posts
I like the look and have considered a pam, only I've yet to find a AD to look at one. Also have noticed basic eta movements and not so basic prices, but I could be wrong?
They stopped using ETA movements in 2018. Well, except for this years debacle with the P.9200 movement. Just like everything now a days the ETA powered Panerai's have been selling for higher prices just like the older Tudor Black Bays with the ETA movements.

I'm actually in the market and looking at a Panerai as my next purchase. I'm in the camp that thinks the best models are the cheapest ones. You get everything they are known for at the lowest price. But, even with that said most of the new Base ones don't interest me. The Base Luminor's use to be sandwich dials, hand wind ETA movements, 300M water resistance and screw down display case backs on some. Since the change to in house movements they are all painted dials, solid case backs, and only 100M water resistance.

·
Premium Member
Rolex YG Sub, MG Green/Black, DSSD JC, SD43 Mk I, PAM176, 1305, Omega PP, SeaMaster300, MoonPhase
1,415 Posts
Older titanium 176 with easy to service 6498 movement.

Watch Hand Analog watch Watch accessory Clock

Watch Font Jewellery Watch accessory Metal

·
Registered
715 Posts
Two points from me:
  1. The price is a beat-up/what the market will bear (it's my understanding that they gained in popularity and gained in price when Stallone was seen wearing one - I could also be wrong on that score).
  2. I have never liked the aesthetic and even if priced considerably less wouldn't consider buying one (that's just me though).
They are worth every penny someone is willing to pay for them.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but Panerai really annoys me. I find the all of the base models to be very basic in style, yet I understand they're iconic. I'm apathetic to these models, but I understand why people like them.

However, what really gets to me is that they're best looking watches, in my opinion, such as the Carbotech Submersibles, are $15-$41K (the two pictured here at $17,400 and $41K respectively. Really?). Do the movements justify these price points? I don't think so. I don't believe the brand warrants that price stratosphere either.

View attachment 16121313 View attachment 16121318

Then they release the Luna Rossa, which is an absolutely beautiful piece. I got really excited when I saw the price point of $9,400. I mean it was actually not instantly dismissed like when I see a Carbotech price. So I go to seek one out. Only 500 pieces made. Selling on the grey market for $25K. Huh? I'm sorry but Panerai isn't Rolex, and I can't stand Rolex for their strategy of increasing demand while production remains static.

View attachment 16121344

Wait there is hope, the stunning Luminor Chrono Monopulsante. Huh, that can't be right. $22,500. I mean, blow me. I'm done. Out. You've totally lost me. And that's where I'm at with this brand. I mean I thought you had to sell watches before trying to price yourself into elite status, and they just aren't there yet for me. Anybody else feel the same, or am I out of line here?

View attachment 16121350
I just wish they were sized for humans.

·
Premium Member
Breitling, Cartier, Rolex (x2), Seiko, Sinn, Tissot (x3)
487 Posts
I'm planning to grab one at some point. I like the look. It will stand out compared to what else I own. In no rush to purchase and will be selective per some of the points made here.

·
Registered
41,742 Posts
I’ve said this before, Panerai marketing is an absolute disaster. Ridiculous amount of “limited editions”, disproportionate pricing and DISMAL resale value. As much as I love the older pieces and the history of the brand, today they are nothing more than overpriced fashion watches.
I take it that you missed all the hoopla, 15 years ago.

·
Registered
906 Posts
They stopped using ETA movements in 2018. Well, except for this years debacle with the P.9200 movement. Just like everything now a days the ETA powered Panerai's have been selling for higher prices just like the older Tudor Black Bays with the ETA movements.

I'm actually in the market and looking at a Panerai as my next purchase. I'm in the camp that thinks the best models are the cheapest ones. You get everything they are known for at the lowest price. But, even with that said most of the new Base ones don't interest me. The Base Luminor's use to be sandwich dials, hand wind ETA movements, 300M water resistance and screw down display case backs on some. Since the change to in house movements they are all painted dials, solid case backs, and only 100M water resistance.

I too am planning on picking up an older hand wind eta for all of these reasons. I’ve been watching and the prices are creeping up and not slowly at that

·
Registered
11,111 Posts
OP, so, if that stuff bothers you, then I guess things like "supply and demand", "what the market will bear" and other hallmarks of a free market system must bother you as well?

21 - 40 of 115 Posts