WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
I never ceases to amaze me, how riled up people can get about a few luxury goods. Panerais look cool. They're expensive - and they're supposed to be expensive. I'd love to own one, but it's not worth it for me, right now, with a mortgage, and a toddler, and other expensive hobbies. But I'm not going to vent my spleen on line about it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hands up I love them , I own a couple and have eyes for another if I find the one I want . Are they like anything in life not for everyone yes . Would I pay the price for the model I want …. If I have the money and I want it enough of course , but the choice to walk past the AD and to the next watch shop window is yours if they annoy you that much .

·
Registered
68 Posts
I really like the styling of Panerai (carbotech and bronze specially), but I don't think the price justifies itself just for that. Therefore, may the guys who bought a Pam because they do think it does, enjoy them. I got myself a Scooby Doo 111 since the look and a hand wound movement is what I was looking for, and I enjoy every single second of it. No regrets.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If only there was other brands to choose from...

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
"Blow me" ? Lol. I can envision you I think almost perfectly.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
the most compelling thing about the brand (to me) is that it is instantly recognizable as Panerai.

I do think they look cooler on rubber vs leather.

Apart from these two opinions, I couldn't care less. I'm glad it makes some people happy but it's not for me.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but Panerai really annoys me.
<snip>
As a collector, i can understand your frustration. You see a watch you like and it is unobtainium.

What helps me is realizing that i am not entitled to a watch at a particular price - if i cannot afford it or justify the price, either at retail or grey market prices, then it's me, not the brand.

That said:

That's one of my major beefs. The movements don't match the price. All the Panerai fan boys are claiming to be a part of some exclusive club of people that "get it". In reality, they're overpriced watches with average movements.
Which luxury watch is "justified" when it comes to price?

If you like the design - it is worth it. If you dont, it is over-priced. Again - it isnt the watch. It is you.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well, I'll never buy one, but I really liked the high tech one they released a couple of years back that had a 50 year service interval. When I see a Panerai in the wild I think: nice watch. That's about it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
afaik is rolex have changed the play book on marketing for almost every industry - i understand that car production is about to follow the same rules as rolex production - ie restricted production and inflated pricing to up the brand value... i don't blame Panerai for following suit... it's gonna be damn expensive to be alive in the future!

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Then they release the Luna Rossa, which is an absolutely beautiful piece. I got really excited when I saw the price point of $9,400. I mean it was actually not instantly dismissed like when I see a Carbotech price. So I go to seek one out. Only 500 pieces made. Selling on the grey market for $25K. Huh? I'm sorry but Panerai isn't Rolex, and I can't stand Rolex for their strategy of increasing demand while production remains static.
Grey market prices are the result of supply and demand, neither Rolex nor Panerai dictate them.

As for Panerai's pricing, well, I'm sure they tune that business instrument quite carefully depending on what people are willing to pay. If nobody accepted these prices, they'd have to lower them. But obviously they don't have to.

So can I take your entire post as a rant on capitalism and liberal markets? Because that's basically what you're complaining about.. ;)

I agree with the fact that Panerai isn't Rolex, though. Thankfully, Panerai is at least reasonably innovative, and venturing into new materials, haute horology movement complications, etc.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
That is the price when people are asking for in house movement. The production for these movement are low. But at least u got a very unique special movement with 8 days power reserve.

·
Registered
35,602 Posts
Well with that thread title I just had to stop by, kinda like a moth to a flame 🤔

I love Panerai, always have, always will, and my Bronzo grail will be the last watch they prise off my wizened corpse.

But I must agree with a lot of what you say when it comes to newer models.

Most of mine are the older ETA powered, which I bought LNIB at a huge discount off the then high MRSP, apart from the Bronzos, which were bought at MRSP because of their almost cult status and very limited availability.

I would not, and indeed could not, pay the prices the Boutiques are asking for the latest releases, but then again that goes for a lot of other brands as well.

But as it has been mentioned prices are stratospheric nowadays, look at the price of the latest Speedy, and the latest Seamaster?

So yes you are quite right in a lot of things, but the thread title may have been a bit……… combative 😫

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I'd happily pay somewhere along the lines of an entry level Breitling for a Panerai, but there are too many other awesome brands out there to justify the AD prices. Nice watches, but overinflated pricing is a dealbreaker every time.

·
Registered
35,602 Posts
meaning of PAM?
All the Panerai model numbers start PAM, so rather than spell out Panerai it has become a much used shortening.

Reactions: Actium

·
Registered
494 Posts
I like Panerai watches, what you call the 'base' models and the ones you show in your OP.

As for prices and there other issues you raise. It's not only Panerai and either go for it or don't. In this case I don't.

41 - 60 of 115 Posts