WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I love pams and to be honest i think they look really beautiful with their simplicity. However, i heard there are so many fakes out there.

Personally, i am considering to add a pams onto my collection and I would like to ask around first.

1) Is panerai becoming a dying watch brand now? i heard in hongkong, pams were like ditched like ****ter and no one wants to touch it. i know this is general question but what do you think about panerai brand? i also talked to some collectors and they always told me to avoid pams. the brand is dishonest (the company had gotten involved in scandal, too many fakes, etc).

2) For pams with in house movement like p5000 and display caseback, should i still be worried with the fakes out there? or is it guaranteed that it will be so easy to spot out the fake? i mean with the pam 111 or 112, it will be very difficult to distinguish the authentic vs the fake one as the fake pam is getting better and better. i heard even some dealers got conned.

3) I like pam 510 as it is thin and features 8 days power reserve. what do you think about this model? is accuracy great? good first pam to explore world of panerai?

4) I have sea dweller 16600 and also eyeing blancpain fifty fathoms. should i still bother to look into pam 510? or just forget it? is it redundant? for those who own pams and rolex / blancpain, can you please share your experience of why you keep them together.

Thank you guys. its a lot of questions but i hope It will be an interesting discussion. Most importantly, I would like to learn from paneristis here.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dying brand? I don’t think so.
If you like it, and can afford it, just get one. If you can take your time to choose and try several ones, that would be better.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Personally I don't see pam as dying brand however I'm not interested in their newer models (and their actual full retail price)

I don't have the modern (6 digits) Rolex but I have seen and tried Bp FF and bathyscape and I find them to be too blingy to be a tool watch...

·
Registered
110 Posts
No expert here but will try to answer what I know:
1. Not a dying brand, but do your research in terms of which one you want and value retention. Buy from a trusted source to avoid fakes. Wouldn't worry about scandals with a 510, it's a straightforward Luminor.
2. Can't weigh in on this, haven't read/seen fake 510's
3. I think it's great, very legible dial. If you want a sandwich dial, you'll have to consider Q series or older. What I've read and heard from friends about accuracy is that it varies from full wind to when it dies down but most people I've come across seem to be happy with current production 510's. It's not Rolex accuracy.
4. Compared to the Fifty Fathoms, I think they're different watches. The FF has a rotating bezel, date and automatic movement. Both watches have respectable history behind them but I don't think they're comparable. The Panerai is a different aesthetic that would add variation to your collection and FF wouldn't.

·
Registered
12,439 Posts
Panerai is a brand that is popular amongst Panerai owners. Panerai owners seem to own more than one Panerai Watch and they love changing the straps regularly. I do not believe that this brand is "dying out" but it is a niche kind of brand. If you love their style, buy one with confidence!

Buy brand new from a Panerai Boutique or a Panerai Authorised Dealer to ensure that you are obtaining a genuine Panerai, then wear the heck out of it!

I can't help you with the other questions, sorry.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No expert here but will try to answer what I know:
1. Not a dying brand, but do your research in terms of which one you want and value retention. Buy from a trusted source to avoid fakes. Wouldn't worry about scandals with a 510, it's a straightforward Luminor.
2. Can't weigh in on this, haven't read/seen fake 510's
3. I think it's great, very legible dial. If you want a sandwich dial, you'll have to consider Q series or older. What I've read and heard from friends about accuracy is that it varies from full wind to when it dies down but most people I've come across seem to be happy with current production 510's. It's not Rolex accuracy.
4. Compared to the Fifty Fathoms, I think they're different watches. The FF has a rotating bezel, date and automatic movement. Both watches have respectable history behind them but I don't think they're comparable. The Panerai is a different aesthetic that would add variation to your collection and FF wouldn't.
Hi thanks for your reply.

For 510, is it good in terms of value retention?? What pam is strong in value retention?? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I think Panerai used to be more popular when the big watches were “in” a few years back, now people aren’t buying big watches as much. Panerai will continue to be loved by its fans no matter the trend, it was never meant for everybody and probably better that way.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think Panerai used to be more popular when the big watches were “in” a few years back, now people aren’t buying big watches as much. Panerai will continue to be loved by its fans no matter the trend, it was never meant for everybody and probably better that way.
sorry forgot to ask, do you think they are robust watch and withstand abuse like submariner rolex?

·
Registered
110 Posts
sorry forgot to ask, do you think they are robust watch and withstand abuse like submariner rolex?
The Bronzo seems to be the great value retainer! But on a serious note, from my research of the Luminors they all drop around 2k off retail. All the more reason to get a good deal when buying these watches. I've seen the 510 go used at 4.2k. In terms of robustness, most people seem to be happy with them, would not go as far as call it a Rolex in terms of longevity but definitely a worthy tool watch.

·
Registered
582 Posts
If you like the style of paneria, the bold wrist presence, you can't go wrong of adding PAM on your collection.

Dead or undead panerai will always be a part of my rotation together with my 114060.

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
Panerai is a brand that is popular amongst Panerai owners. Panerai owners seem to own more than one Panerai Watch and they love changing the straps regularly. I do not believe that this brand is "dying out" but it is a niche kind of brand. If you love their style, buy one with confidence!

Buy brand new from a Panerai Boutique or a Panerai Authorised Dealer to ensure that you are obtaining a genuine Panerai, then wear the heck out of it!

I can't help you with the other questions, sorry.
Very much agree with Dan here. Within the past year, we got a new Panerai Boutique here in Vancouver, so hopefully that is a sign that the Panerai brand is alive and well. I ended up getting two models within a week, and I am very pleased with both of them. In spite of comments I hear about prices, I find many Panerai models pretty reasonably priced compared to some other brands. Especially, when you consider the in house movements with plenty of power reserve. I have heard comments about lack of accuracy, although mine have no problems, and I think their movements are becoming more reliable.

Hope you get one and really enjoy it.
Carl

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
It's true that you can buy a Panerai cheap here in Hong Kong. The normal discount is about 25% off but it's not just a Panerai thing, I can get a Cartier or IWC with 25% off in Hong Kong without too much asking.

Does it bother me at all that PAM is losing mainstream attraction? Not a bit. I buy it because I like it, not because everyone is sporting one.

I buy what I like with my money and that's all the decision making process.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Panerai is a bit like apple...it's an obscure brand that has its own fans,that explains why some people have 10+ of them

I remembered the first time I started wearing pam (24 and 111 since 2006ish) some people do ask about it since back then they were so obscure

Fast forward to 2012-2014,they were very common...

Now,they're back to being an obscure brand and I like it better that way...

And please,no due joke here...it's just a pathetic stepchild of the brand,maybe the executive have had too much vino when they decided to make them.....

·
Registered
31,303 Posts
Panerai is not dead, tried buying a Bronzo lately!!

If you are worried about depreciation buy lightly used from a reputable dealer and you will have no worries, look at how many fake Rolex are out there and if buying them you will need to beware as well!!

As for why we Paneristi love em, there is still a rarity to them (Esp here in the UK) that appeals, and personally I love the style and history of the brand, do some reading on the web and you will see what I mean.

I’m with Synequano on the new models though, a retrograde step in a lot of ways, so I would buy the classics like the Zero or a 372 if you have the wrist for a 47mil case.

Check out the WRUW pics on the Panerai brand forum for some real beauties

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I don't think it's a dying brand, either. But then again I'm biased and possibly not seeing it clearly, I'm an owner and a fan.

I think Panerai is more susceptible to current market forces than most high end watch makers.
Panerai rode a wave of popularity in the 90's & 2000's, then were uniquely positioned to take advantage of the 2011-2017 large/oversized watch trend. While other manufacturers struggled to scale up their designs and make them more tool-ish and masculine, Panerai was already there. Now, as the trend shifts to smaller watches, Panerai is the brand playing catch up.
Intuitively, I think Panerai is also subject to higher highs and lower lows from poor economy and low demand because of its relatively low sales volume. I could be completely wrong on this, but it "feels" correct. Panerai is "off-trend" and many potential buyers are still recovering financially.

About long-term brand health: Panerai is owned, managed and back-stopped by the Richemont Group. There's too much intellectual capital, market savy, and resources to let the brand waste away and die. If Richemont sold Panerai, I'd start to worry, but not until then.

About the fakes- Panerai (like Rolex) seem plagued by fakes more than most brands. I don't really know what to make of that other than I would stick to buying either used from a respected grey market dealer or reseller and maybe a reputable Forum member, but wouldn't consider eBay, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,332 Posts
like the saying: imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
as you know most fake items (not only watches) are exact copy of an Original Design that's been admired and loved by many.
if Panerai weren't popular?. they wouldn't sell Fake ones.

Panerai watches are unlike any other. very unique, simple, Bold, Quality, Well Built, History.....etc . what's not to like?.
i'm curious to know who said Panerai is Dead?. but i know there's a lot of Haters and Jealous people that have nothing to do but tarnish someone's reputation. . (the way i see it).

good luck hunting.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I do think the hype has died down and the market is now full of real enthusiasts vs those who just wanted the big arm candy. I have a PAM233 and love it.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts