WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Breitling Avenger Skyland and an Omega Planet Ocean, and they are both great watches. I'm looking to upgrade to what many at WUS consider the next tier of watches (though plenty of WUS folks will disagree), and I've been eyeing the Panerai Luminor, IWC Portuguese chrono, and Rolex Submariner. These are all storied brands with stellar reputations, and I know ultimately it comes down to what speaks to me the most.

Just curious - which would you choose if you had to choose? A Luminor, a Portuguese, or a Submariner? And what kind of message are you sending with your choice?

Thanks in advance for your two cents!

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
Well - all 3 are great watches, and who wouldn't want them all??? I would

If you have 2 Sporty watches already, you might want to go with the classy dressy IWC Portuguese - a beautiful watch from a top notch maker

Perhaps if those are the 3 watches which you love, you should consider selling your Breitling n Omega and go after all 3?

Having said that - for me, the Sub is so classic and inconic that I would have that as my "go-to" watch for any and all occasion - and if I could have only one watch, it would be a Rollie (Sub, SD or DSSD)

si

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the Luminor & my next watch that I put a few £k into, will be the Portuguese. I got the Pan now, as it is an "in" watch, & I will get the IWC later, as it is more of a classic design, and therefore to me, will suit me when I am older. Both stunning pieces. To me, the Rolex is to obvious: people "get some money" & buy a Rolex - in saying that, the one worth getting is the Daytona - but costs a little more. At least there is a waiting list & therefore less in the market place.
Nice place to be in :) - try them on & see what feels right for you.
Any of the 3, you cannot go wrong - it just means you will have to start saving for the other 2.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
In answer to your question, I'd choose the IWC.
The Sub is a timeless classic, but you have a PO (dive watches).
I find the Pam an overpriced abomination.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I agree that the IWC complements the wathces you already have better then the Submariner, and I'm also not a fan of the Paneri style.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
IWC--as others have suggested, it rounds out your collection. IMO, the Panerai isn't in the same league as the others, though it's expensive.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
the iwc is the way to go. it's a great watch and the only style that is not represented in your collection.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
IWC for me...then probably the rolex, though I'd pick a GMT Master over the Sub. The Panerai I like are in the next price range past these two...

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Not really sure that the Panerai or Sub are much of a step up for you.

Let me suggest that you imagine a watch box with all 5 watches in them. Which one stands out? yep, the IWC.
You could use something a bit dressy (that's one of the few chronos that can make a claim to that, IMO)
And then there is the chrono feature, always nice to have one or two.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I'd go with a Luminor but one with an in-house movement. I really like the Luminor design.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I would probably go with a true "manufacture" if I had the choice - perhaps the Rolex Sub or a JLC.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Based on the watches you already have, the IWC is the perfect addition to your collection.

I am a bit biased myself but the Portuguese Chrono is my favorite watch by far.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I own a Breitling Avenger Skyland and an Omega Planet Ocean, and they are both great watches. I'm looking to upgrade to what many at WUS consider the next tier of watches (though plenty of WUS folks will disagree), and I've been eyeing the Panerai Luminor, IWC Portuguese chrono, and Rolex Submariner. These are all storied brands with stellar reputations, and I know ultimately it comes down to what speaks to me the most.

Just curious - which would you choose if you had to choose? A Luminor, a Portuguese, or a Submariner? And what kind of message are you sending with your choice?

Thanks in advance for your two cents!
I am Biased to Watch Companies that produce pilots watches so I would go with the IWC Port. JMHO

Of course all 3 of your choices are fantastic and I am sure you will be happy which ever you chose....

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I was going to say the Pannie, but after seeing the IWC pics I have to lean toward that IWC Chrono, especially with the blue hands.

Then I'd choose the Pannie, finally the Rollie (simply because so many people have Rolexes, there are 4, all non-wis's, who have submariners in my office)

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
If you want to really take a walk on the wild side, get something historic and timeless like a Zenith cal. 400 El Primero ... well, just a suggestion ...

Not mine, that image.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Rolex Submariner>>>

although I like IWC, I would prefer a 3717 or an Aqua Timer [the older version]. A nice Ingeneur would be good too.

best,

Frank

1 - 20 of 22 Posts