WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what your thoughts are on the panerai - my buddy is trying to sell me a pam 27 - i have an omega chrono 2599.80, i like the panerai - simple face as a contrast to my watch, the panerai is a bit bigger at 44mm - i was saving up for a speedmaster which i have wanted for several years, and now i am trying to decide between the speedmaster and the panerai, any thoughts appreciated
thanks, chris

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I think the simple models (PAM176 is my favorite) are pretty cool watches with great history.... However, I will probably never get one. I tried one on and, like they say, feels like a hockey puck on a strap....

just wondering what your thoughts are on the panerai - my buddy is trying to sell me a pam 27 - i have an omega chrono 2599.80, i like the panerai - simple face as a contrast to my watch, the panerai is a bit bigger at 44mm - i was saving up for a speedmaster which i have wanted for several years, and now i am trying to decide between the speedmaster and the panerai, any thoughts appreciated
thanks, chris

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Not for me......

I bought one with the hope of really liking it. Nothing the matter with it.
Its a big watch with a pocket watch movement in it. Only thing I can say is its got a good fit and finish, a movement they have been making for years upon years and they are popular with some guys. Thats about it.
Most look the same with a funny crown guard and I'm not trashing them,
but whats all the hype about? I should have spent that 4k on something else. Want to buy it?
jim

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
i think the finish of panerai is excellent but cant believe that they charge over 4k for thir product. I thin k that they are a great 1k watch.. but at their selling price are very overpriced in comparison to other unitas based watches such as stowa, steinhart etc.. for the price of a panerai you can get a hand made dornbluth and sohne watch :p:p:p

·
Registered
39,160 Posts
When your the hottest brand on the planet, you charge what the market
will allow and it more than does and will for some time to come.
i think the finish of panerai is excellent but cant believe that they charge over 4k for thir product. I thin k that they are a great 1k watch.. but at their selling price are very overpriced in comparison to other unitas based watches such as stowa, steinhart etc.. for the price of a panerai you can get a hand made dornbluth and sohne watch :p:p:p

·
Registered
201 Posts
Watchbreath

You are quite right that Panerai charge what the market will stand but, as a recent Panerai purchaser, retrospectively I think that my cash would have been better placed elsewhere.

For the money, I could have bought something with far more subtlety and an in-house movement. I guess you live and learn:oops:

Winton

·
Registered
582 Posts
Welcome Winton. Love that avatar!

I'm sure you will find some sucker to take the panerai off your hands. Then you can get an Omega :-!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Welcome Winton. Love that avatar!

I'm sure you will find some sucker to take the panerai off your hands. Then you can get an Omega :-!
Ha, cheers!! I think the avatar was originated back in the 60s/70s by Air Trafficers when they made some limited runs of mugs, t-shirts etc. We still use it today;-)

Back on topic, I am lucky enough to have an Omega already too!! In fact, gratuitous shot...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Looks like I've been rumbled...;-)

You succeded in breaking me on Saturday. Currently at home with a stinking cold - at least that's what I think it is. Get to get a couple in before Christmas too, buddy:-!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Hahahaha!! I spent all day yesterday on the sofa, monging. And this morning was a struggle, too. You about from the 18th, right?

Oh, btw, you going to post a picture of that IWC or what..?

Alex;-)

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Panerai's star is very bright now but I don't now how long it will stay so bright. It seems to me to have gotten a "hollywood boost" with a lot of stars wearing them, spurring an increase in popularity. While they are a nice watch I wonder about the long term value. Will you be able to sell it in a few years without taking to much of a beating? Of course no one can tell that accurately- but once Hollywood 'discovers' a new fad watch I think there are gonna be some real deals on Panerai. Heck, a used Speedy is always easy to sell and you won't lose any.
Don

·
Registered
201 Posts
IWC posted in the dive forum mate;-)

And 18th onwards is good for me.

Winton

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Neat history, but ultimately not to my liking. Can't say that in my opinion the purchase price is worth the value of what you ultimately get.

mike.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I'd love to have those simple Panerai's with small seconds (Jim, if you are seriously considering selling yours at a very good discount please let me know) and I think that they are not as ubiquitous in advertising themselves as Rolex.
(no bashing intented).

I like the look and the construction but sadly the price is too much. I love my Omegas much more and wouldn't part with one over the other (but don't take my word for it:)) Maybe one day...for when I'm chomping a cigar or something.

Glimmer

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hey your friend should hang onto that. the pam27 is not in production anymore and is distinctive because of the power reserve complication, the price for any surviving specimen are only going up, & in a hurry. this is a very sought after timepiece. if i can afford it (not) i'll take the pam27 over the speedmaster (which i can afford) anyday.

·
Registered
39,160 Posts
:think: Well, your Panerai does make great trade bait and JLC makes great
watches. If you decide to sell it, you may just might make a profit.
Watchbreath

You are quite right that Panerai charge what the market will stand but, as a recent Panerai purchaser, retrospectively I think that my cash would have been better placed elsewhere.

For the money, I could have bought something with far more subtlety and an in-house movement. I guess you live and learn:oops:

Winton

1 - 20 of 20 Posts