WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen multiple posts and some really knuckleheaded videos about his recently.
OMG, OMEGA IS NOT OFFERING DISCOUNTS ANYMORE!!!!!!

Yep, this is a rant.

Ok, when did OMEGA ever offer a discount? I've seen AD's offer discounts. At one point, at end of the season, or some other special sale time, Omega Boutiques might have had a sale price. But as far as I know, OMEGA has never offered a discount on their watches.

One of the videos even has the guy saying he went to an Omega Boutique and was asking about it. He then confirmed no discounts. Well, no **** bro. It's the flag-ship, name-brand store. They are there to showcase their items and at MSRP. If somehow you got a discount on a watch there, kudos to you, but OMEGA didn't give you that discount. That was the manager at that store. Go into Apple or Tiffanys and say...hey can you give me a discount. The MSRP is what it is and the name-brand store has a vested interest to sell at MSRP.

AD's can do what they want. If you get a discount, then you get one. If their margin changed that much from wholesale to MSRP, then that margin may change based on your purchase history and how bad they wanna move that piece. Think of it as a car dealership. They may have a watch that's there for months. That was is paid for...completely, so they may just wanna move it out of the store. If they have inventory that's financed, the newer stuff is gonna take higher value.

Also, demand. A new Speedmaster was released. I wouldn't expect much movement on that pricing anyway due to demand. The AD knows they can get a premium so you're paying a premium (MSRP). So many things go into that pricing for the AD that you don't know what they're gonna do. If you're a whale in the store, you'll probably get a discount since you spend money there and lots of it. If you just walked off the street and asked about the watch and for a discount, I wouldn't expect many AD's to just hand one out. It is a privately owned business that is there to make money. They don't know you...

And, in the long run, there are plenty of workarounds for this....trade in a cheap watch for x amount of dollars and then make the watch sale look more expensive than it "really" is. This so anyone checking paperwork can see, oh, yea, they didn't offer a discount. The discounts offered can't be posted on a public site or sales ad anyway. That's part of just about any dealer contract with a manufacturer. This is to protect the MSRP. But the dealer can sell that product for any price they want.

But, watching this panic from people posting about it, making videos about is why I'm ranting. It's like they discovered something new and incredible and its horrible for people....so get in on your firesale now.

Ok sorry, rant over. I've now got my heart rate down. Let the flaming begin!!!!!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
This has been discussed many times on the forum.

Omega DOES offer discounts, and it depends on the country / boutique / model. The discount when offered is less than at an AD : yes.
Some boutiques will discount, some won't...

Now has it changed ? Maybe and only time will tell. Will it be only a Boutique hard policy, or actually Omega selling pieces to AD at a higher price ? Again time will tell.

I bought my AT from an Omega boutique in France with a discount (no special sales), and was offered a discount as well at the OB in Sydney when I was looking for my SMP 300M Diver (no special sales either).

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But remember that was the manager of the store. I have yet to see OMEGA offer a discount. Have you been on their website and seen an offer of....%%% offered on the site or a boutique?

It's not an OMEGA discount. Store manager or AD is different. But why would you EXPECT it at a boutique?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
But remember that was the manager of the store. I have yet to see OMEGA offer a discount. Have you been on their website and seen an offer of....%%% offered on the site or a boutique?

It's not an OMEGA discount. Store manager or AD is different. But why would you EXPECT it at a boutique?

Did you read my post ? Omega doesn't display discounts online for sure, but you can get discount if you walk in a boutique, and as I said it's not an isolated case. I bought my AT from the boutique with a discount because it was a good deal (travel tax on top), but for the second one I got a better discount at an AD, so I didn't buy from the boutique (despite being offered a discount on a popular model).

Not really sure what is your point to be honest.

Yes I would expect a discount from an OB, if I can get a discount from an AD. If I can get the same watch from an AD for cheaper why would I buy from an OB ?
And that is the problem with Omega current discount model... I doesn't make sense. Which is why it might make sense for them to change that.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I bought my 1863 speedy and seamaster at omega boutique and got discount as well. Its like the norm, unspoken secret or something lol. That was back in 2019 tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Yes Omega AD used to give great discounts. I've had about two dozen Omega in my collecting life, and some were bought at above 30% discount (see the link to my feedback, in my signature, in order to find some of the corresponding transactions, just for giggles and laughs).

But, in trying to position itself as the new Rolex, Omega has gradually reduced the AD margins while pushing up their retail prices, effectively making compelling discounts very difficult.

Plus, man, are the new Omega models thicc or what?! No more Omega for me...

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you read my post ? Omega doesn't display discounts online for sure, but you can get discount if you walk in a boutique, and as I said it's not an isolated case. I bought my AT from the boutique with a discount because it was a good deal (travel tax on top), but for the second one I got a better discount at an AD, so I didn't buy from the boutique (despite being offered a discount on a popular model).

Not really sure what is your point to be honest.

Yes I would expect a discount from an OB, if I can get a discount from an AD. If I can get the same watch from an AD for cheaper why would I buy from an OB ?
And that is the problem with Omega current discount model... I doesn't make sense. Which is why it might make sense for them to change that.

Time will tell.
I read it through and agree. The dealer there discounted the watch. But, personally, I disagree on the expectation that a flagship store would give me a discount. After all, they are the ones supposed to be towing the MSRP line.

I think it's gone at least at the OB and I've never been offered one at the one in my area even after having bought some items there.

My AD has not changed their business model. It's still the same which is why I will continue to purchase there and one other location for Omega in particular.

Good input so far, but the crying I've seen in posts discussing this and on the videos posted just seem ridiculous as if paying money for a luxury watch is a surprise all of the sudden.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I read it through and agree. The dealer there discounted the watch. But, personally, I disagree on the expectation that a flagship store would give me a discount. After all, they are the ones supposed to be towing the MSRP line.

I think it's gone at least at the OB and I've never been offered one at the one in my area even after having bought some items there.

My AD has not changed their business model. It's still the same which is why I will continue to purchase there and one other location for Omega in particular.

Good input so far, but the crying I've seen in posts discussing this and on the videos posted just seem ridiculous as if paying money for a luxury watch is a surprise all of the sudden.

We have been buying Omega at discounted prices from ADs AND OBs (sorry if not your case or you were not aware). It was part of the appeal of the brand. This policy change -if proven real- is interesting and brave. It either works for them or their piece of the cake will go to other brands in the same price range that are willing to play ball (Zenith, Tudor, Grand Seiko). Time will tell

·
Registered
119 Posts
Does anyone know what's considered a "normal" discount at an AD these days? Just curious, as I'm planning to purchase my first Omega in the very near future (most likely a black PO43) and wasn't sure what to expect.

From my perspective, I was hoping the AD standard would be somewhere in the ballpark of 20% for a non-LE piece that isn't particularly new, bringing the price of the watch (PO) down into the mid-low $5k range, because otherwise I would imagine a lot of people would begin going the GM route. I mean, Joma has them for just under $5k in stock right now, more than the cost of servicing in the event something should go wrong. And as a guy who travels to Japan multiple times a year--or at least I used to prior to this pandemic and hope to resume those trips in the next six months--I know I can waltz into my favorite GM dealer in Tokyo, a very, very reputable dealer, any day of the week and walk out with any PO I want for around $4,300 USD after rebates, maybe even less if the exchange rate moves. Makes it quite hard to shell out MSRP or even with a tiny discount. Put it this way, last year I walked out with a brand new Oris Aquis for $950 USD. I drank myself stupid at a great craft beer bar in Tokyo celebrating that steal.

In the end, though, I'd always prefer going AD for the security of the factory warranty and also supporting dealers that support what we do here. That's always worth the premium to me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
20% discount? I have never had an AD offer a discount. Then again, I'm not a good shopper. Did you just come out and ask for money off?

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm in the market for Seamaster right now (not LE editions) and i got NO discount offer from boutique. Not even on the extra strap.
AD on the other hand offered 10% on the watch and 20% on a strap. Watch would be new with all papers and Omega official warranty. Is that a good deal? There are no other ADs around with Omega and i don't want to buy online.

·
Registered
119 Posts
20% discount? I have never had an AD offer a discount. Then again, I'm not a good shopper. Did you just come out and ask for money off?
I don't have a huge amount of recent experience with stateside ADs and discounts, as the majority of watches I own were purchased during my younger years living in Japan. For the higher-end stuff I've bought in recent years, I've either gone boutique (zero discount, didn't bother asking) or did private sales. Personally, I don't like negotiating and haggling over price. If I walk into an AD and see something I like, I'll just be up-front and ask: "What kinda price can you do on this one?" If it's a fair number I'll usually just go with it. Years ago, it was pretty common to be offered 15% or sometimes even 20% up front at big mall ADs around here just for walking in off the street, and I was always told 25% or even 30% as doable for established repeat customers at good ADs. Hell, over a decade ago I remember the lady at Ben Bridge offering me a "special rate" for putting down a large deposit on the "new ceramic Rolex Sub" scheduled to arrive soon that I scoffed at because I was an idiot kid and I thought $6k MSRP was ridiculous.

These days I largely prefer travel-related purchases, and two types in particular. One was purchasing from the local DFS Galleria, which was an AD and had a huge selection of high-end watches. The deal was a flat 15% discount on any watch they carried, and the only catch was that you had to take possession of it at the airport during an international flight.

The other, my favorite, is purchasing watches overseas in Japan, and you have two options that include very generous discounts, not the least of which coming from the exchange rate. One, you go with one of the megastore ADs like Yodobashi Camera or Bic Camera; in that case, the watches are already discounted a bit below MSRP, but for foreign tourists who can produce a passport, you're given an additional 8% discount and then another 5% on top of that for using a VISA charge card. That's what makes lines like Orient Star so attractive to me.

The other is to go with one of the famous GM dealers like those in Nakano Broadway in Tokyo. In that case, all watches will have a list price of MSRP, a "sale" price of at least 20% under that and then, for foreign nationals visiting who can produce a passport, a "tax free" discount on to of that. That's how my Oris, which had an MSRP of $2,400 here stateside, had a GM sale price of around $1,400 and the a clearance discount down to a little over $1,000 and then with the exchange rate came out to around $950. Or, take the PO43, which has a Japan MSRP of 792k JPY (about $7200 currently), a GM list price of 542k JPY (appr. $4900), then the tax-free price for foreign tourists of 493k JPY ($4,400), and that's with the current crappy exchange rate. And because it's Japan, it may be a GM shop but you're treated like a boutique customer. One-on-one personalized service with a pretty girl, refreshments, bracelet is expertly sized while you wait and an overall just great experience that makes your vacation even more fun.

When this pandemic is finally over, s*** is going to get wild in Tokyo.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Up until recently, it wasn't even necessary to directly ask for a 15-20% discount on a standard issue Omega. It was simply understood. All it took was an honest expression of interest, and perhaps a gentle question about what the actual sale price would be. It would be really strange if an AD stuck anywhere close to MSRP. You could just go home and call another dealer, or hit a grey market dealer for 25-40%. There was a lot of excess product in the market.

Times have apparently changed. Demand is definitely up, production may have decreased, and dealers have lower margins. The 15-20% is probably still achievable with effort, but now it represents an attractive discount, not a standard discount.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had saved 13% (our sales tax) at our OB on my POC 9900 this past Spring, didn't take much arm twisting. And they gave me the same deal when I picked up a rubber strap with deployant (still ridiculously overpriced, tho!)

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
I’ve never been offered a discount in a UK Omega boutique even with purchase history at said boutique and knowing the manager, but I’ve had a free service thrown in, swag and the opportunity to attend one off events like film premieres, sports etc.

I’ve visited several AD’s in the UK recently with the view to buy some specific references and the most offered was 9%. The manager said times had changed and they weren’t discounting like they used to. No mention was maid as to whether that was the AD policy or Omega head office putting their foot down.

It seems many AD’s are losing or giving up their Omega status. Maybe Omega are going online and their own boutiques in the future? If so then than will bring price stability to the brand. Now just a small matter of reducing their range of models down by 80% and things could be very rosy for them going forward.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Seems to be a lot of disbelief that OBs offer discounts... heres a receipt from 2 years ago at an OB.

Gesture Font Handwriting Material property Poster

Gonna be purchasing again from the same OB soon so I guess we'll see if anythings changed. Although of course discounts will always depend on the model. GSOTM being an older model (even in 2019) and not a Master Chronometer definitely aids in the discount negotiations.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I don't know what's going on in other countries of the world but there currently are a lot of people with very expensive houses here in Australia. With so many people flush with money and Rolex ridiculously priced, Omega should do well to grab some of that cash.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I don't know what's going on in other countries of the world but there currently are a lot of people with very expensive houses here in Australia. With so many people flush with money and Rolex ridiculously priced, Omega should do well to grab some of that cash.
Exactly the same is going on in Canada. Average house price in Vancouver is reaching 2M and there are thousands of properties worth 5M and more.
We have a Rolex Boutique here, good luck getting on a waiting list with them :LOL:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just came back from an AD and they told me Omega put their foot down on discounts. I think value retention would be great for the brand. Perhaps they’ll start having slight back orders for their newer models. Seems to be that way with the new speedy and seamaster 300 blue

1 - 20 of 24 Posts