WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or do you also think that Chopards (Luc) and PArmigiani (tonda) look very similar? Maybe it is the second hand at the 6 o'clock position. Can't really put my finger on it, but when I look at Chopards, I am reminded of parmigiani Tonda. I read that Chopard and PArmigiani had some type of partnership, but that it dissolved. Do you think that "style" characteristics are similar?

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
They look different enough to me that I wouldn't call them similar any more than I'd call them similar to some other round style watch. The case designs are quite different, particularly the lugs...maybe more...

Both brands were/are brands in the Fleurier Foundation (Participating Brands : Bovet Fleurier, Chopard Manufacture, Parmigiani Fleurier and Vaucher Manufacture). Perhaps that's the connection to which you referred, OP? If I'm not mistaken, Vaucher and Parmigiani are very closely connected, as in Vaucher is actually who makes Parm's movements. If you do some "digging," you'll find that there's a fairly "incestuous" relationship between Vaucher and Parm whereby Parm designs watches, Vaucher makes the movements and the finished product is marketed under Parm's brand. I haven't discovered so, but I suspect there might even be some degree of parent/subsidiary/co-owership/joint venture ownership structure between the companies. I don't know if that relationship somehow involves Chopard.

Vaucher has a pretty extensive "private label" watch making operation. Under it, they also provide movements to a variety of other labels, Hermes being one of them. I don't know what other labels receive their "guts" from Vaucher and given the rage over "in house" these days, finding out isn't exactly easy. Much as we consumers want to think of brands and companies as synonymous, and with some like PP, Rolex or JLC they are, the Vaucher/Parm example shows that one can't always do so. All the brands in the LVMH, Swatch and Richemont groups are more examples, although the distinction is far clearer with them than it is with Parm/Vaucher.

FWIW, Ralph Lauren watches are another "cloudy" brand. Ralph Lauren has no actual connection with the watches produced with his name on the dial. RL has merely licensed the use of the brand name to Richemont. What's inside the watches and the design of them comes form any one of the units of Richemont Group.

All the best.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Lugs look completely different

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I can't see any resemblance between the two watches that you have posted. Funnily enough though they are two makes of watches that I have never found appealing. So in that sense I have always put them in the same 'box' so to speak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts