WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the 6497/6498 movements used in the Parnis hand-wind models are protected against overwinding? (Excuse my ignorance!) I read recently that automatic movements are protected - which of course is logical, otherwise they wouldn't last more than a day - but it set me thinking: does this mean manual wind movements are *not* so protected?

And (subsidiary question): why are there apparently no hand-wind-only watches with power reserve indicator? You'd almost think a p.r. indicator would be more useful there than in an automatic!

Cheers,
Harry

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Hi Harry,

it's actually very possible to over wind and break a 6497/98 variant [Swiss/Asian what have you]. The only protection available is knowing that when you feel the tension while winding [usually between 50-65 turns on these movements] to stop winding.

I've seen some [but not many] hind winds with a PR function...the only one I can think of is my Asian tourbillon which is manual with a PR...i'm sure others will post more.

Can anyone tell me if the 6497/6498 movements used in the Parnis hand-wind models are protected against overwinding? (Excuse my ignorance!) I read recently that automatic movements are protected - which of course is logical, otherwise they wouldn't last more than a day - but it set me thinking: does this mean manual wind movements are *not* so protected?

And (subsidiary question): why are there apparently no hand-wind-only watches with power reserve indicator? You'd almost think a p.r. indicator would be more useful there than in an automatic!

Cheers,
Harry

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
While it is possible to break a mainspring, it is very unlikely. I've read you would have to use a pair of pliers to actually break it.

Here is a Parnis handwind with PR. It uses the Hangzhou 9170 movement. Which is one of the very few Chinese complicated 6497 movements. (HK Registered Design Application No. 0602101.2) It has small second at 9, GMT [Edit: Dual time] hour hand at 12, PR at 3.

Cheers,
gigfy

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellers! (I had seen the watches in the pics but it hadn't occurred to me they weren't automatics. Perhaps that's because their design doesn't really appeal to me, somehow.) Cheers, Harry

·
Registered
217 Posts
@ Gifgy & Dancheng: as you seem to be aware of modified 6497 movements/watches, do you happen to know a version with date? A date function is pretty crucial to me.

Also, do you happen to know if your version with GMT + PR has been skeletonized? I have the GMT + Day/Night-indicator, which has been skeletonized.

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
@ Gifgy & Dancheng: as you seem to be aware of modified 6497 movements/watches, do you happen to know a version with date? A date function is pretty crucial to me.

Also, do you happen to know if your version with GMT + PR has been skeletonized? I have the GMT + Day/Night-indicator, which has been skeletonized.
Sorry, I don't think I've ever seen a Sea-Gull ST36 or Hangzhou 9000 with a date.

Also, I have not seen a Sea-Gull or Hangzhou with GMT & PR. Hangzhou does make two different GMT + Day/Night skeleton models and two different GMT + Day/Night non-skeleton models.

Cheers,
gigfy

·
Registered
217 Posts
...Also, I have not seen a Sea-Gull or Hangzhou with GMT & PR. Hangzhou does make two different GMT + Day/Night skeleton models and two different GMT + Day/Night non-skeleton models.

Cheers,
gigfy
Dear Gifgy,

thanks, but isn't the watch you have shown with GMT & PR?

Do you mean with different models of GMT + Day/Night movements, only different color (steel or gold plated), are actually different calibre? If it's the latter, do you happen to have a link with examples?

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Thanks for catching my mistake. Let me backtrack and clear this up. The HZ 9170 has a dual time (12hr) hand at 12. Not a true GMT (24hr) hand.

Look on page 5 of the current PTS catalog
http://www.ptsresources.com/download/catalog/catalog20092010.pdf

I was talking about the 9730/9731, 9930/9931, 9120, & 9320 calibers.

BTW, why are some of the movements listed as 9730/9731? Maybe gold & silver tone? But then why is the 9211 listed at 9211/9211G? We need reps from every watch movement manufacturer on the forum to answer our questions! :-!

Cheers,
gigfy

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,924 Posts
Thanks for catching my mistake. Let me backtrack and clear this up. The HZ 9170 has a dual time (12hr) hand at 12. Not a true GMT (24hr) hand.

Look on page 5 of the current PTS catalog
http://www.ptsresources.com/download/catalog/catalog20092010.pdf

I was talking about the 9730/9731, 9930/9931, 9120, & 9320 calibers.

BTW, why are some of the movements listed as 9730/9731? Maybe gold & silver tone? But then why is the 9211 listed at 9211/9211G? We need reps from every watch movement manufacturer on the forum to answer our questions! :-!

Cheers,
gigfy
Here's my list of Hangzhou 'Unitas' variants. I stopped when my brain started to fry...

9011 seconds at 9
9011A seconds at 9

9110 seconds at 9, dual time, sun & moon
9120 seconds at 9, dual time, sun & moon
9130 seconds at 9, dual time, sun & moon
9170 seconds at 9, dual time, power reserve

9211 seconds at 9, skeleton
9211-BK seconds at 9, skeleton, black
9211-RG seconds at 9, skeleton, rose gold
9211-G seconds at 9, skeleton, yellow gold

9310 seconds at 6
9320 seconds at 6, dual time, sun & moon
9330 seconds at 6, dual time, sun & moon

9611 seconds at 9, skeleton
96A0 seconds at 9, skeleton finer cut
96A1 seconds at 9, skeleton finer cut

9730 seconds at 9, skeleton, dual time, sun & moon
9731 seconds at 9, skeleton, dual time, sun & moon

9910 seconds at 6, skeleton
9911 seconds at 6, skeleton
9920 seconds at 6, skeleton, dual time, sun & moon
9930 seconds at 6, skeleton, dual time, sun & moon
9931 seconds at 6, skeleton, dual time, sun & moon

I think where there is a difference in last digit with no change in spec, it might be due to different texture applied to the plates.

All of the above only sem to apply to the 'angular plate' versions, although I thought we had seen some Hangzhou movements with the curved plates. AFAIK the 3/4/ plate version is only by Sea-Gull.

Finally, what do you think we should call these movements collectively? Hangzhou 9000 series or Hangzhou 9 series ? :think: The reason I ask is that they've taken to using 2 digit codes with 2 character suffixes (e.g. 96A1) on the new ones and have done the same on a couple of the 2000 (or 2) series.

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Wow! Great list!!!

My vote would be to keep the Hanghzou 9000 series nomenclature. The zero's as place holders for numbers or letters.

Here are a few pics I've saved with Hangzhou 9000's with 3/4 [EDIT: Angular] plates.

honggaoliang997 9000 1.jpg

wenping1970 9000 2.jpg

The Alpha Pilot also uses this movement.

Cheers,
gigfy

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,924 Posts
Those are what I was refering to as the angular plate. The 3/4 plate is the one with the single plate over the entire movement apart from the balance. The curved plate is the one that looks more like what Panerai use.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Those are what I was refering to as the angular plate. The 3/4 plate is the one with the single plate over the entire movement apart from the balance. The curved plate is the one that looks more like what Panerai use.
Curved Hangzhou:

3/4 Seagull:

Right?

Martin

·
Registered
217 Posts
@Martin,

I believe the last one is a 6498. Does it happen to have the seconds hand at 6 o'clock?

P.S. My favorite is the curved 6497. Just a pity the Hangzhou version does not have little screws on the side to keep the dial in place.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
@Martin,

I believe the last one is a 6498. Does it happen to have the seconds hand at 6 o'clock?

P.S. My favorite is the curved 6497. Just a pity the Hangzhou version does not have little screws on the side to keep the dial in place.
Hi Marnix,

Yes it is. It's a Seagull 3621, with [email protected] Front looks like this:

Regards,

Martin

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Yes, my mistake. I get it now.

Cheers,
gigfy

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think it's time for individual wiki pages for the 6497/9, ST19, ST16, and ETA clone movements. Any volunteers? Anyone have great movement photos?

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
I think it's time for individual wiki pages for the 6497/9, ST19, ST16, and ETA clone movements. Any volunteers? Anyone have great movement photos?
It has been my task to start the 6497/8 page. Looks like a lot of the old questions have been cleared up and I need to devote some attention to it.

Cheers,
gigfy

1 - 20 of 27 Posts