WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was over on the Parnis website looking at their power reserve watch and I notice quite a few of the watches they have on the website do not have a brand, Parnis or anything, on the watch. Does anybody know if that is how they ship? Just seems kind of odd to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes I got a parnis watch with no brand name or logo. In fact I like it like that. It reminds me of Movado watches.
I'm sure you will see that a lot of parnis watches resmebles of some the Swiss or other Euro Watches.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,626 Posts
I can't recall seeing any Parnis that particularly looked like Movado.

It would not surprise me to find that the assembler of Parnis watches is also responsible for many other minor brands in the same style, particularly the Panerai and big pilot styles. It makes sense that they would also do cleanskin versions, too. Especially the big pilot style that recall the unbranded military-issue watches of the past.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh I'm sorry, I'm just relating how some brand name watches like Movado don't have their name or logo any where.
Parnis doesn't seem to have any time piece that looks like Movado

As for Parnis, I was going to say they have watches that look similar to Rolex Millgauss, Rolex Explorer, and the popular other Rolex watch. Some of the Panerai homages have Parnis while other's don't.
(Wasn't sure on forum rules)

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Oh I'm sorry, I'm just relating how some brand name watches like Movado don't have their name or logo any where.
Parnis doesn't seem to have any time piece that looks like Movado

As for Parnis, I was going to say they have watches that look similar to Rolex Millgauss, Rolex Explorer, and the popular other Rolex watch. Some of the Panerai homages have Parnis while other's don't.
(Wasn't sure on forum rules)
Those are what we refer to as homage watches. Unless they violate patents, copyright or trademarks held by the original makers like Rolex, Panerai, etc. they are perfectly alright to discuss.
Any of these homages that have words like Marina Militaire, Submariner or other copyrighted words printed on them are not allowed here...those companies had their legal firms hassle the site owner :(

As for the 'sterile' dials; ie no logo; I prefer them to seeing PARNIS printed on them...it's a goofy name and I suspect the brand owners are having a good laugh at the watch buying community with a little word play ;)

·
19,626 Posts
As for the 'sterile' dials; ie no logo; I prefer them to seeing PARNIS printed on them...it's a goofy name and I suspect the brand owners are having a good laugh at the watch buying community with a little word play ;)
...especially when the name goes with that IWC-homage with that hour hand :roll:

Maybe that's why they offer that model unbranded.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
I actually have a bit of a theory of these "sterile Parnis watches"; might be a long shot but it seems plausible too.

Let us reiterate the known facts. There's no such thing as Parnis Watch Inc, thus no telephone number, email address, or factory at all. It's a brand thought up by someone as a name to apply to watches to make them sound more credible. As time progressed the name became something of a public domain: any Joe Bloggs wanting to get a weekend job can order watch components from suppliers or brokers to build a dozen Parnis watches before dinner. Of course, he could order movements of any quality level from the broker he uses, including those acquired basically by dumpster-diving. This explains the huge variance of quality, because the Parnis name on the watch tells you nothing about the particular watch's background.

At the sales end of the line, many customers would get to believe that Parnis is indeed a legitimate watch company. So there are retailers willing to sell their own line of Parnis watches. But the retailers might source other watches which are from different supply lines and thus not branded Parnis at all, it's just more convenient to call them Parnis watches even though they're sterile.

I do believe the suppliers and brokers could very well supply dials just like the "sterile Parnis" shown by dfl3506 but with imitation IWC branding. Watches with this imitation dial would be sold through different channels, whose existence is something we are aware of but would rather not get into.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A little off topic I guess, but, what is a reliable source for this kind of watches? I purchased an hommage from parniswatches and it arrived in non working condition. I'm waiting the paypal claim outcome.

Anyone have good experince with any particular seller? Jackson Tse? manbushijie?

·
19,626 Posts
This Parnis has no name on the dial either, but it's a dead ringer for the IWC.
And that IWC in turn looks exactly like a 1920s/30s Luftwaffe-issue pilot's watch...

This type of watch seems to have been made by several companies to the same specification. Did IWC used to make them too, or are they simply borrowing the style?

Anyway, my point is that this unbranded 'Parnis' could be described either as an IWC homage or a Fliegeruhr homage, you know like the later WWII B-uhr watches have become a popular inspiration for homages.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My hopes are dashed. I thought I just found the perfect watch for me with a totally clean dial and mechanical movement. I came here hoping to find that Parnis was a highly respected, smart company. Instead, you say it's not a company at all, just a catch-all category of watches that could be made by anyone with any movements? Very strange!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Care to elaborate?
He's suggesting that: 1) Parnis as a name is only different from the scientific name for a part of the male anatomy by only a few letters, 2) the hour hand on the Fliegeruhr/IWC homage watch pictured earlier in this thread bears a striking resemblance to that specific part of the male anatomy, and 3) the merchants building/distributing the watches also discerned these similarities and perhaps took the extra step to avoid any, shall we say unfortunate, mental correlations.

Personally I don't think point 3) occurred at all and the reason why we're not snickering about the watch (well, we are, just not as much as if it actually had "Parnis" on the dial) was strictly coincidence.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts