WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hmmm, I wondered how you guys feel after receiving nice watches from steinhart. Are you like wow nice watch how they do that with all this mechanical tiny little part moving without battery?

Does these create a burning passion within your heart:-x I wanna be a watchmaker too? I am interested what are the critriea needed to be a watchmaker? In term of the mechanical part? need to be good in math?

·
Registered
55 Posts
For me at least, I love watching the cogs and levers inside the watch. If it was not for the people whom I would then not have met. I would love to have gone the way of a watchmaker myself instead of my current path.

Doing a quick google search in my own language, Danish, it seems that there are schools for becoming a watchmaker. If you do a search in your own language you could probably find some links to places of teaching in your own country. Then I would contact them to hear about what is required to sign up. I would guess that it is some kind of technical school or university if you will.
I guess in the "olden days" you became a watchmaker by working as an apprentice at a master in his shop. But I have no idea if that is done any more.

I personally only have 1 Steinhart watch, signed up on a list for my second, but it is my daily horological device. So naturally I like it a lot =)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I adore mechanical movements., especially the Unitas, or ETA 6497/98, which it is now called. But having to deal with all those tiny parts that make up a watch's movement was never someting I was interested in.
Designing a watch case, dials, hands and crowns however .... now that gets ME going!

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
G'day xlf........I am also a massive fan of mechanical movements, especially the manual wind variety like the ETA 6497 & 6498's as many of us are.....The is something great about putting life into your watch every few days.....

As far as courses to do or opportunities for employment...If you are in Europe you are immediately much better placed to find something. Being here in Australia the opportunities are very difficult to come across. However there are other options like the TZ watch school courses you do at home were you pay the $$$ & they send you a movement, tools & manual tutorials to do so you get hands on training on how to assemble & disassemble a movements & learn about the complexities of a movement. You get a choice as well so you could do a course on a manual wind or auto movement or both.

I don't think being good at Math is a requirement.

Good luck mate.......:-!

I adore mechanical movements., especially the Unitas, or ETA 6497/98, which it is now called. But having to deal with all those tiny parts that make up a watch's movement was never someting I was interested in.
Designing a watch case, dials, hands and crowns however .... now that gets ME going!
LOL...!!! Easy tiger..........................:-d:-d:-d:-d:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
G'day all, I am located at sunny east island. I guess you all know where is it and it petty hard to find any such course. But well, if steinhart need apprentice :-d...

Anyway the link below shows how a AP watchmaker milestone on constructing a watch etc... They indication the precision calculation of the movement & with lot of math formula if I am right (In one of the video).

http://www.thetimetv.com/ :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts