·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Circa 1998 or thereabouts:

Casio Pathfinder model PAT500
Above display: Day, Year, month/day, time
Quartz movement #1376. Battery powered. Uses #2016 lithium

I think they still use this barometer history chart....or one similar to it on the current models. Go ahead and correct me on that.

Perhaps what I like best about this particular watch is the aluminum bracelet. Folded aluminum. You can see the folds when viewing each link on end. This is the most comfortable metal watch bracelet I've worn. No link failures since new. Then again I'm not that hard on a watch.

Then there are the negatives about this watch:
Readability.....

The digital function is within the lens above the analog watch dial. This arrangement seems to filter what light reaches the dial. Like a neutral density filter. Light reaching the dial is reduced, effectively darkening the view of the analog function. This way ones ability to read the dial is hampered. Combine that with the absence of any lume on markers or hands and you have a watch with very poor readability. It kind of defeats the purpose of a watch, really.

Compass function: It's hard to miss the compass markings on the rotatable bezel. It kind of indicates that the watch should have an electronic compass as one of its functions...does it not! Sorry folks. There is no compass within this watch.

In that light we can't really refer to this watch as a true "ABC" type watch. More like "AB-D/A". As in Altimeter/Barometer with Digital/Analog display. cool enough I guess.

In fact it looks cool. I've had probably more comments about this watch than any other I've ever worn.

other notes:
I replace my own battery on this model. The owners manual insists that only a Casio Approved watch reseller should ever replace the battery on this model. Yet, the few Casio Approved Resellers that I have made contact with had no actual experience replacing a battery on one of these. Therefore one is left to ones own devices. The owners manual -almost- offers enough instruction to carry this out. Unfortunately the manual fails to indicate where the little copper springs need to go -- when they pop out of their respective holes -- should one be careless enough to allow this to happen.:-( Through trial and error I have more or less figured this out for myself. Making note of the oval shaped copper plate that is adhered to the underneath side of the back plate. Two of the copper springs need to make contact with this plate or the watch will report "open" on its digital display and fail to function correctly.

Battery life: = poor to good depending upon the way you set the watch functions.
Rule 1, don't turn on the 'auto backlight' function unless you want to run the battery down in a couple of days.
Rule 2, don't turn on the 'auto altimeter functions' unless you want to shorten the battery life by several months
Rule 3, manual backlight operations should be restricted to only a few times each night

Do that and you get approximately 1 year of battery life on this model.
There those are my notes.

In conclusion, here it is, an analog/digital Casio Pathfinder that has its digital display within the lens rather than on the dial. How rare is that!

-Steve

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Thanks for the review! That's an odd one, alright :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nice review, brings back some memories for me! I bought mine in 1999 from the UK - the first watch I bought online. There was also another version with a leather strap I believe, although the bracelet on the PAT500-7AV was really light. I found the paint wore off the pushers and the face quite easily which wasn't great. It was definitely a cool watch for its time - my wife called it the turnip watch, presumably because of its size. There is also an auto-tilt function (if thats the right term) that turns on the LCD display when the watch is angled towards you. Mine is since sold on ebay, I miss it now seeing those pictures :) Anyway, enjoy!

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Thanks for sharing the review Steve,and it is a pretty good looking watch..Maybe better than the new ones??

·
Registered
91 Posts
Maybe you already knew this: but if the compass bezel is rotational you CAN use it as a compass:

Point the hour hand towards the sun. South is halfway between 12 o'clock and the hour hand. You can rotate the bezel accordingly. Of course you have to know if you are on the northern or southern hemisphere. And take daylight savings into account.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I just recently acquired one of these pat-500 but the band seems to be a little too tight for my wrist, does anyone out there have an extra link they would be willing to sell? Thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have an 8-1/2 inch wrist size and wore this watch with aluminum link band comfortably. I did find it possible to adjust band length at the clasp by moving the adjuster pin from one hole to another on the clasp that gave the band more length. Note that there are like 8 holes in that clasp. Lots of adjustment is possible.

-Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts