• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have decided that I would like to get a 5167 as my next piece (and first Patek). I have handled the watch and started to really understand what the extra money and effort produces compared to other brands.

I am in a position to purchase one now, but would need to liquidate both of my Rolex watches to get there (pre-ceramic Daytona and GMT Master II LN). The Daytona is not a concern to me as I purchased it solely as a good deal between friends (he could care less that I'm selling it now). The real question is whether selling both would be worth it to move up to the Patek.

Other than the GMT and Daytona, I have a Nomos Orion (my dressier piece), a sinn 556i and Seiko skx007j. The 5167 would fill in as the watch I will wear 5+ days a week.

The obvious answer would be to keep one (or both) and buy the 5167, but I have set aside as much as I would like to for watches at this time.

From the eyes of high-end watch owners (more specifically Patek owners), would you rather have the Daytona and GMT or 5167.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
It depends on if you like to have a variety of watches or just have one. Besides that, if you're not gonna be afraid to wear the aquanaut and maybe give it some love marks then it's not a problem. Also if you are buying the watch for yourself because you love the watch, then you wouldn't be disappointed. I thought the bezel would be similar to the Royal Oak but I find the aquanaut to be much more shiny and even draws the eye away from the dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Honestly, while i like the Patek 5167, i dont like it enough at that price point. If it was around $8-10k (and i didnt have to offer up my firstborn in order to be deemed worthy of being allowed to buy a Patek), I would own one. But for what it costs, I'd go with a RO any day of the week and twice on Sundays. To me, it is a good *supplementary* watch, not a good primary one (the Nautilus would be a good primary watch, OTOH).

I say this only as a data point, in case you havent tried out the 5167 on your wrist.

Obviously, that aside, you like the Patek enough to be considering it as your main watch.

If so: to my way of thinking, the GMT II and the Daytona are the "same" watch, in the sense that they both fit the same use case (atleast for me), and are stylistically similar enough (steel sports watches with a printed external bezel). So swapping two of them only opens up one "hole", in terms of use case - and if you are able to fill that with a watch that suits your requirements better, then go for it.

Reactions: tigerpac

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
Totally aesthetics based for me so maybe no help but I'd never own the 2 Rolex models you mention and have owned the 5167 so you know what I'd do . . .

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have decided that I would like to get a 5167 as my next piece (and first Patek). I have handled the watch and started to really understand what the extra money and effort produces compared to other brands.

I am in a position to purchase one now, but would need to liquidate both of my Rolex watches to get there (pre-ceramic Daytona and GMT Master II LN). The Daytona is not a concern to me as I purchased it solely as a good deal between friends (he could care less that I'm selling it now). The real question is whether selling both would be worth it to move up to the Patek.

Other than the GMT and Daytona, I have a Nomos Orion (my dressier piece), a sinn 556i and Seiko skx007j. The 5167 would fill in as the watch I will wear 5+ days a week.

The obvious answer would be to keep one (or both) and buy the 5167, but I have set aside as much as I would like to for watches at this time.

From the eyes of high-end watch owners (more specifically Patek owners), would you rather have the Daytona and GMT or 5167.

Thank you in advance!
Under your budget constraint I'd advise you to divest your Sinn, Seiko, Nomos, and one of your Rolex, and try to find a pre-owned 5167.
Then you will have a compact but excellent 2 piece: Rolex & Patek collection, how could you go wrong with that?

The 5167a is a great watch btw, being only 80 grams, 120m waterproof, and 8,5mm thick.

You could also expand your options and look at the 5165a (38mm) and the 5065a (original aquanaut), which are both hard to find as well as the 5167a aquanaut.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to pull the trigger today on the 5167! The Daytona was trade in and I will be liquidating the rest over the next few months. The GMT will probably be the last out of the door, so that will have the best chance of staying. Really just depends on how much wrist time it gets now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
I decided to pull the trigger today on the 5167! The Daytona was trade in and I will be liquidating the rest over the next few months. The GMT will probably be the last out of the door, so that will have the best chance of staying. Really just depends on how much wrist time it gets now

I am curious to know once you get the Aquanaut if you still will wear the GMT, and how the comfort is compared to the GMT.

Anyone know how long the rubber bands of the Aquanaut tend to last? I have heard crazy prices for a new rubber band, that always scares me about the aquanaut.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am curious to know once you get the Aquanaut if you still will wear the GMT, and how the comfort is compared to the GMT.

Anyone know how long the rubber bands of the Aquanaut tend to last? I have heard crazy prices for a new rubber band, that always scares me about the aquanaut.
I will definitely report back. I am sizing the band now, so I will have it on soon.

The bands themselves are only about $200 I believe. The buckle is the expensive part.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I will definitely report back. I am sizing the band now, so I will have it on soon.

The bands themselves are only about $200 I believe. The buckle is the expensive part.

Correct. I was surprised at how "cheap" PP charges for the rubber strap. The buckle is around $1200 USD I believe.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And here she is! You can probably tell what inspired this purchase. The GMT will be going back on the bracelet, but here's a quick comparison before that happens.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Great photo of the aquanaut - I've seen various pictures where it looks great to me, and others where it looks a little off (sadly when I tried it on it looked "off" to me on my wrist), but it clearly suits you well

Congratulations on the Aquanaut. One off my all time favorites. Do what you can to hold onto the gmt. It's always nice to have one Rolex on hand. It scratches an itch.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Aquanaut all the way. That said, if you are planning of diving, swimming in pools, etc. I'd also pick up a an affordable dive watch to go wtih it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I've had the watch for a few days now and either the ergonomics of the clasp are not right for me or I sized it wrong. I'm going to take it to an AD and see if they can sort out the issue. So not really an answer yet, but I will let you know

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
In answer to the title question, no.

The way to get your Patek is to be patient and save for it, not sell off the most versatile watches you already own. If you just can't wait, sell off one of them, but not both.

All the best.

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
...The obvious answer would be to keep one (or both) and buy the 5167, but I have set aside as much as I would like to for watches at this time....
I'm sorry, but I don't understand. Do you mean you don't care to have more of your money "tied up" in watches? If so, okay, fine. Sell the Rolexes. I think later you'll wish you hadn't.

I don't care how "fabulous" any watch is, at the end of the day, more nice watches means more options. And you know what the meaningful difference between rich folks and poor folks is? It's not that rich folks have more money; it's that we have more options.

All the best.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
EDIT: Just noticed you already bought it so my opinion is moot!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts