WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Patek 5712 vs. Patek 5164

29K views 59 replies 10 participants last post by  heuerolexomega 
#1 ·
Guys,
its been a while since I last posted and my collection has taken a big turn in the last two years (hopefully for the best!). I have bought a JLC MCDC, Rolex Daytona SS white and an AP ROO NAVY. Love them ALL!

I am now ready for a PP and was wondering if the owners of a 5712 or 5164 could give me some feedback on each! I have heard that the Aquanaut is the little brother of the Nautilus for the 5711 vs 5167 comparison and IMO the 5711 wins that battle. With that said I think the 5164 gives a good run for its money to the 5712!

You can see my collection in my signature and hopefully be able to give me some guidance.

lastly can you compare your winner to a Grand Lange 1?

thanks all for the feedback!

JFO

#2 ·
Grand lange 1 is much more expensive no?

But my answer to aquanut vs nautilus in any variation is the same: nautilus hands down every time.

I don't get the point of a rubber strap on a watch like this.
It's not as if you're going to dive with it.
It's isn't a tool watch.
What possible purpose does it serve?

#4 ·
Grand lange 1 is much more expensive no?
There are variations of the Grand Lange but you can get a rise gold or white gold for around $35k which is what the 5712 and 5164 go for. The 5164 is a lot more expensive than the 5167 (it's non dual time little brother)

I hear Mr. Stern travels with a 5164 all the time!

#5 ·
5712 for sure!

5164 is a dual time watch, unless you need this function the nautilus is my preference.
Thanks! I love the 5712! Have you seen them both in person? I had made up my mind on the 5712 and then I saw a 5164 in person and it is stunning. These are very very rare to see on the shelf at any AD.

#9 ·
Patek 5711 is sublime and about as good as it gets for an every-day, iconic, luxury sport watch. I find the uneven dial of the 5712 not nearly as appealing as the "original" Genta-designed 5711. The 5711 is just that good. Now if you truly wanted an "extension" or complication of the original, I might suggest the 5726 (annual Calendar, invented of course by Patek) or the 5980 (Chronograph) - both in my opinion are more balanced and pay better respect to the original Nautilus design.

#10 ·
Agreed, the basic Nautilus 5711 with the iridescent blue dial is very attractive, and either that or the Nautilus Annual Calendar 5726 are the ones to get.

#11 ·
Andale! Good choices. I was going to post pics of my 5712, but after the 1 or 2 pics that amine posted:-d. I think mine would be redundant. Anyway as far as the dilemma between the 5711 and the 5712, I would say that after owing a 5712 I would never ever go back to even consider adding/swapping for a 5711. To me is not even a contest but to each it's own. When I bought mine, I did consider 5711 but in my fickle mind at that point I thought 26 k for steel and no complications! So to me in this price range for a sport watch it makes more sense the 5712. Is more versatile than the 5164. Then you have to ask yourself what is the used intended for this watch? because if you want it for travel and no suit and tie involved then the 5164 makes a lot of sense.

As far as the Lange 1, is a beautiful watch but totally different to your sport watches choices, again depends on the use intended. This one will go great with a suit, definitely not water friendly.

Good Luck:-!

#15 ·
I usually do no wear a lot of suits and for that I would rather have a really formal watch (ie Grand Lange 1), instead of picking between the 5712 and the 5164. For an everyday watch would you go with the 5712 or the 5164?

Also what do you think about the 5726A (not the 1A)?

Thanks

#12 ·
Amine, what a great collection of watches you have. I have recently been working on upgrading my collection and hopefully to get to that level. My next 3 watches without a doubt are going to be a Patek, a Lange, and an FP Journe.

with that said right now it's time for the Patek. I am in love with that 5712-1A. I did see a 5726A (no bracelet) yesterday and it is stunning. I believe they don't make this watch anymore, what are your thoughts on the 5726A vs the 5712-1A?

thanks a lot!

#16 · (Edited)
Amine, what a great collection of watches you have. I have recently been working on upgrading my collection and hopefully to get to that level. My next 3 watches without a doubt are going to be a Patek, a Lange, and an FP Journe.

with that said right now it's time for the Patek. I am in love with that 5712-1A. I did see a 5726A (no bracelet) yesterday and it is stunning. I believe they don't make this watch anymore, what are your thoughts on the 5726A vs the 5712-1A?

thanks a lot!
Many thanks for your kind words!

The 5726 is too thick for a Nautilus IMO due to the added complication (AC) and as far as i'm concerned an Annual Calendar complication made by Patek should be more classic in the veins of 5146, 5205, 5035, 5396...etc. The design of the Nautilus PP screams sport chic so i would stick to the original 5711 or 5712, personally i wouldn't pay that much money for the 5711 knowing it's a steel watch with no complications, i'd add some $$ and get its bigger brother. The 5980 pushers and case diameter doesn't appeal to me at all though.
Also, if i may comment on your collection...you've got few interesting pieces there and a few others that i'd try to sell and replace with better ones if i was in your position:

2008: Bulgari Diagono Titanium 44m
2009: Bell & Ross BR03-51 GMT Titanium
2011: Cartier Santos 100 Black PVD

The above 3 models you could get around $6k if you sell them and put that money towards an A.Lange or a VC (aside from the 5712/1A which you already have the budget for) to complement your nicely rounded collection, i believe you're already all set with chronos so you could go for a basic VC Overseas on leather strap or a Lange 1, i hope i don't hurt any feelings here...just expressing my opinion, taste is different from a person to another.
Cheers.

Reactions: Crunchy
#13 ·
Agree this is a big plus for me on the 5712!

#24 ·
Guys, thanks to all for your help on this matter. I have made up my mind and have found a great deal on a 5726/1A. This watch has the bracelet, the annual calendar, and stays true to the original GG design on the 5711. I should have it next weekend so as soon as I have it in my hands I will post some nice pics of it. The 5712/1A, the 5711 and 5726A are all awesome pieces but this is what my collection needed at this time. I have now rounded of my collection to have 1 Patek (5726/1a), 1 AP (ROO Navy), 1 JLC (MCDC), 1 IWC (7day Port), 1 Rolex (Daytona Steel, white). Now all I need is 1 Lange and 1 FP Journe and I will be whole! You can make arguments for many other brands (VC, Breguet, UN, Blancpain, etc) and although I love their watches they are not on my short list (maybe the Tradition by Breguet is ;) ) I will start the hunt for either one of those end of next year probably! Again thanks all!

#25 ·
Guys, thanks to all for your help on this matter. I have made up my mind and have found a great deal on a 5726/1A. This watch has the bracelet, the annual calendar, and stays true to the original GG design on the 5711. I should have it next weekend so as soon as I have it in my hands I will post some nice pics of it. The 5712/1A, the 5711 and 5726A are all awesome pieces but this is what my collection needed at this time. I have now rounded of my collection to have 1 Patek (5726/1a), 1 AP (ROO Navy), 1 JLC (MCDC), 1 IWC (7day Port), 1 Rolex (Daytona Steel, white). Now all I need is 1 Lange and 1 FP Journe and I will be whole! You can make arguments for many other brands (VC, Breguet, UN, Blancpain, etc) and although I love their watches they are not on my short list (maybe the Tradition by Breguet is ;) ) I will start the hunt for either one of those end of next year probably! Again thanks all!
FP Journe you say? Now you are talk' n. FPJ will be the best watch in your collection, IMHO of course.

#38 ·
If I get a FP Journe, it would be the Chronometre Bleu. I'm not really a fan of the dial design on the more complicated Journes, but the blue dial on the Chronometre Bleu is simply exquisite.

#43 ·
Guys, As promised here are the pictures of the my new timepiece! So excited and I cant be happier. PP is PP as they say. Definitely the best out there IMO. Below I have added a couple of pics of what I call my "Fab 5". Not so Fab for some, but for me they are awesome. This is after my "phase I" of what I called my collection upgrade phase. Hope you like.

Black Box Gadget Room Technology

Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Analog watch Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Brand

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Brand

Watch Analog watch Wrist Watch accessory Blue

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Reactions: Thewatchescollector
#45 ·
Thanks a lot!
yes I am really happy with it!
great piece and my first Annual Calendar ( i figured it better be a Patek).

#48 ·
Thanks man! I appreciate it!

#50 ·
Thanks a lot man!

#54 ·
Thanks man! and also thanks for the tip George at Govberg is great. Everything as promised and he happened to have the piece that I wanted!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.