WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own the 5167 on the metal bracelet. I have been thinking about swapping it to to the strap, but recently contemplating bringing in a new watch altogether - the travel time Aquanaut 5164.

I travel a lot for work and wear my Rolex GMTs for most of my trips. The idea of a travel time is practical for my travels, beyond just liking the complication from a collection standpoint.

I have a few PP ADs and all are out of the SS version. One of them however has the rose gold version (brown strap and chocolate dial).

I was curious on people’s opinions on the SS ca the rose gold for the watch, especially given I would like to wear it for work/travel with it and that at its core it is a sport watch.

I think I want the SS version, but given that 1. I own the 5167 in SS already, 2. The Rose golf version is available, 3. I don’t own any rose gold watches (all SS, WG, and 1 YG)....I’m torn.

I’m not an overly flashy guy. Worried the rose will make it harder to wear as frequently as the SS.

Should be noted the rose gold is $51k MSRP which is what i would pay (no tax or shipping) and the SS is MSRP if $34k but is not available at my ADs and is in the low to maybe mid 40s in the gray market. I paid MSRP for my 5167 ($21.8k for the one on bracelet).

Thoughts or ideas/suggestions appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
587 Posts
You are playing in rarefied territory, my friend, even by WUS standards.

I don't think rose gold is overly flashy at all, but I would doubt its durability for a travel watch. If you are wearing it a lot for travel and work, I think I would go stainless. I also googled the 5164 in rose gold and I have to say -- I don't think the strap goes with the rose gold at all. I don't know if there are options there, but if you are getting it on the strap that came up in the image search that would be another reason to go stainless.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts

I don't think rose gold is overly flashy at all, but I would doubt its durability for a travel watch. If you are wearing it a lot for travel and work, I think I would go stainless. I also googled the 5164 in rose gold and I have to say -- I don't think the strap goes with the rose gold at all. I don't know if there are options there, but if you are getting it on the strap that came up in the image search that would be another reason to go stainless.
Honestly if he's plane to boardroom I doubt the rose gold would see much wear. I'd do honestly what feels nice on the wrist.

In today's trend yellow gold is a statement and rose gold is a more subtle way of expressing wealth. Platinum is the ultimate stealth wealth but obviously the price premiums can get stupid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
First world problems.
Yes. But he’s honestly asking for an opinion.

I would lean towards the SS only because I don’t like the look of the RG. And I do like RG watches if they are well done. Also for me the price diff doesn’t justify what the RG version has to offer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I was worried Re durability of the RG v the SS if it was going to get a lot of plane/travel time. Price difference is obviously quite meaningful at MSRP, but gray market they are closer (and again, SS isn’t an option today)

The 5167 comes on a black strap (I can swap out my bracelet) and the 5164 SS version does too (w the LE green dial one coming w the now discontinued green straps). I thought the brown strap actually went well w the chocolate dial and brownish red rose gold...but certainly i could see it being a bit more polarizing - gray gradient dial and black strap would be the safe play (and at $50k I don’t think you should be taking too many risks)

Wrist shot below, as always the lighting in the AD not great and not sure this helps too much

IMG_7697.JPG

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I'd go SS but I wouldn't pay above MSRP for it, just put your name on the list and wait.
Either option is a good watch and you'll enjoy it but, on the odd chance you don't, you'll get hit with the RG version depreciation once this nautilus aquanaut craze dies down.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Honestly if he's plane to boardroom I doubt the rose gold would see much wear.
I kind of inferred that he wasn't going to be digging ditches with it on . . . but still, travel can be rough on things.

Wrist shot below, as always the lighting in the AD not great and not sure this helps too much
Honestly, it reinforces my opinion that the strap doesn't go with the rose gold. I'm just some guy on the internet, though, so don't let me dampen your enthusiasm if you like it. Hope you enjoy whatever you wind up with!

·
Registered
258 Posts
First world problems.
I’m pretty sure every problem on this forum is a first world problem! ;)

To OP, I love the travel time, and while the rose gold is definitely more formal than the steel, I think it would work well for your purposes. One thing you might be wary of though is that having a really expensive watch on while traveling can add stress to your trip, especially if you have to take it off going through security or if you find it bothering you while trying to sleep on the plane and decide to take it off. If this is going to be your most valuable and treasured piece it may actually not be the best travel watch.

·
Premium Member
4,494 Posts
The Aquanaut is hardly flashy in any guise. That’s one of its strengths. Plus, rose gold is the color of just about every fashion designer watch out there. The rose Aquanaut will fly under the radar for sure.
As for wear: simple physics. Gold (even a 75% gold alloy) is softer than steel. It will show wear faster than steel. How fast it wears depends on how carefully it is worn, but it will still look classy with wear. Well, classy as an Aquanaut can look.
My concern is that the interest was fostered by the availability instead of the desire for this model. I have purchased watches this way before, and they quickly end up getting sold. YMMV, but it seems to me availability is the wrong reason to buy it. It’s like your fitting the needs to the watch instead of the other way around.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
i dont think rose gold is all that flashy - especially on a rubber strap. I have a Lange 1815 in RG that i bought with some trepidation, as i wasnt sure about how flashy it would be, but it isnt at all. And it is surprisingly versatile - as is your watch on rubber.

Go for it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I sincerely think that you should go for the rg. I was going to buy a 5164 in ss and then I saw a 5167 in rg. I put it on my wrist and that was that, love at first sight and never looked back. It’s discreet enough and somehow feels more substantial, probably because of the added weight. You can’t go wrong with any of them, but considering the premium price for the ss and the mrsp for the rg I wouldn’t think twice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29,602 Posts
Gees, some of the responses on here! The OP is asking for an opinion not speculation of his financial status!

OP rose gold isn’t flashy as yellow goLd so it will blend in nicely on any skin tone! As for what to get I’d go with what you want more and judging by your post you seem more inclined to get the SS version. Even though it’s more than RRP going grey on the SS is still cheaper than rose gold isn’t it?

The other question to ask yourself is if you got the RG version would it permanently scratch your itch for the SS version?

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Travel time on an Aquanaut or a Nautilus is a big oxymoron. There is some crazy people that says hey the marks/scratches on the bezel on these watches is ok , the first one hurts you get used to , Noooo ! Absolutely not , at least that doesn’t go with me. True scratches and signs of wear are meant to happen to any watch , but this is a different animal. Meaning the normal wear marks in other watches you have to look for them , like in certain combination of lighting and angle you are looking at the watch , we all live with those , that’s ok. But unfortunately when it’s on a bezel of a Nauti or a an Aqua is like highlighted in the watch every time you look at the time. I had 5164R and 5990 before , beautiful watches but I don’t buy watches to stress about them.

So yeah and then you want use these watches for traveling? Really ? You are better off with a Rolex GMT or something with a ceramic bezel.
So there is my rant ...lol

So neither, Of course this just imho

Cheers

·
Registered
809 Posts
Travel time on an Aquanaut or a Nautilus is a big oxymoron. There is some crazy people that says hey the marks/scratches on the bezel on these watches is ok , the first one hurts you get used to , Noooo ! Absolutely not , at least that doesn’t go with me. True scratches and signs of wear are meant to happen to any watch , but this is a different animal. Meaning the normal wear marks in other watches you have to look for them , like in certain combination of lighting and angle you are looking at the watch , we all live with those , that’s ok. But unfortunately when it’s on a bezel of a Nauti or a an Aqua is like highlighted in the watch every time you look at the time. I had 5164R and 5990 before , beautiful watches but I don’t buy watches to stress about them.

So yeah and then you want use these watches for traveling? Really ? You are better off with a Rolex GMT or something with a ceramic bezel.
So there is my rant ...lol

So neither, Of course this just imho

Cheers

Gshock :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Even if I could afford it, I wouldn’t want to spend that kind of money on a watch that wasn’t exactly what I wanted.

While the rose gold version with the brown dial is lovely, it’s clearly not what you really want. Buy gray market or just put your name on a wait list and give it a while. Who knows, maybe in six months or a year your favorite AD will give you a call!

In this price range one should never “settle”.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My two cents: I like the rose gold and Patek does RG better than almost anyone out there. The color and finishing is magnificent. Also, you have several other stainless pieces. I would go for variation. Also, since the stainless is so in-demand, you'll be more likely to get the RG at a closer to retail price.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the helpful comments everyone. I have decided to hold off on the RG for now, and if it’s something I keep thinking about over the coming months then maybe I will pull the trigger then.

I have accumulated others that are still new/will keep me busy, no need to get something of this caliber that I’m not 100% sold on. That said, I have no RG pieces and would like some variety, and agree w a few posters that PP RG is a great color...we shall see

1 - 20 of 27 Posts