WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I've decided to go after the holly grail of my collection - the Nautilus 5990. I know that you have to pay to play. I'm looking at getting an annual calendar and establishing a relationship with an AD to hopefully be put on the list. My main question is should I do this with a local dealer which does not have a lot of stock or try to do it with one of the larger AD in like Singapore or Dubai as I travel there for business.

I know that Patek wants their AD to sell to locals so just putting it out there as a question. Also, any recommendation on a good US dealer is also appreciated.

All comments and recommendations welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Better to establish a relationship with your local AD, there is a reason they don't get a large inventory and that reason might play to your benefit one day.
the 5990 is a magnificent watch, which Annual Calendar are you considering?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I have no AD experience with PP however I'd stay local. The less traveled and smaller the AD the better. That always worked out better for me. When trying to establish a relationship at a larger or boutique AD there seems to be too many VIPs. aka > multi millionaires.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
853 Posts
I was thinking of the 5990/1A-001 - steel. Not much of a gold or precious metal person.
coincidentally, thats what everyone else want too. maybe you have higher chance of getting a two tone or gold than a steel

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dont bother with Singapore, there are VIPS here and in dubai who can drop 1 mill at the AD, just cause they can afford and always are the first on the list to be called for any patek sports stock here.

I am Singaporean, I was told by the ad, if you dont buy at least 2 classics, there is no way they are going to allocate any patek sports model at all.

Similar experience in Australia, have to buy 2 classics, 1 ladies, and 1 punishment piece for 5711 blue.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Obviously this is not my market, but i had no idea you had to consider yourself lucky to be able to spend a fortune on a watch, income notwithstanding.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Its unfortunate, but thats the only way unpopular models get to move.

My other half was with me and I suggested she put her name down for a ladies nautilus which are beautiful watches.

SA "suggested" I purchase for her a iced out 5146 or a solid gold 24's.

I replied that she may be interested in the 7118 which is the ladies version of the 5524 and they jumped at that so hard, It was tough for me to hide my smile.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Its unfortunate, but thats the only way unpopular models get to move.

My other half was with me and I suggested she put her name down for a ladies nautilus which are beautiful watches.

SA "suggested" I purchase for her a iced out 5146 or a solid gold 24's.

I replied that she may be interested in the 7118 which is the ladies version of the 5524 and they jumped at that so hard, It was tough for me to hide my smile.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Definitely.

I Purchased from a Dealer who sells both Audemars piguet and Patek Phillipe

2 Audemars piguet pieces ( No boutique pieces, no royal oak ) and put a deposit down for Patek Classic piece, ( within 2 weeks)

I asked for an Aquanaut.

Dont seem to be getting one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Definitely.

I Purchased from a Dealer who sells both Audemars piguet and Patek Phillipe

2 Audemars piguet pieces ( No boutique pieces, no royal oak ) and put a deposit down for Patek Classic piece, ( within 2 weeks)

I asked for an Aquanaut.

Dont seem to be getting one.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You should stick with your Local AD for a number of reasons. One of course is you are only a somewhat small fish in a small pond, versus a microscopic fish in a very large pond! The other being, if all things being the same, it’s always best to support your local dealer and the employees they create jobs for. Best of luck in your acquisition. In my view, as soon as many of these popular watches return to selling closer to retail in the secondary market it should make your quest somewhat achievable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts