WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really love the classic look of the 5196J and am obsessed with yellow gold.

1. Does this model have a waitlist or is that generally for the Patek sports models?
2. What kind of discount, % wise, should I generally get on this? I don't know this AD at all...
3. This piece gets a bit of hate online, what are good alternatives in a similar price range? (Don't plan to buy anything else but am curious)

Thank you and have a great weekend!

·
Registered
16 Posts
This reply is just my opinion. My two cents.

1. Older models don't have a wait-list. I was able to find quite a few examples online.
2. I wouldn't buy from an AD if you don't care about warranty. The mark-up's just too insane for my liking. You could get substantial savings buying pre-owned or online. I plan to get my Patek online one day.
3. Don't care what others think. You'll be wearing the watch. I prefer the older Date-just vesus the "hot" submariners for example. It's really up to preference. You might consider the 2448 or the 3919J for starters.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi!

This model should be fairly easy to get online at a 15% discount or a little more if you go grey market. Not sure about what you would get if you were physically going to a boutique or an AD.

Don’t worry about what people say online, buying a watch is a personal thing. However if you want to look at other options for the same price/quality, Vacheron Constantin, A Lange and Sohne and FP Journe have amazing alternatives, all fantastic in their own way. Hodinkee did a comparison (3 on 3) a little while ago: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/three-on-three-manual-dress-watch

The Calatrava for me has an older design and the movement is very small for the case, so I would personally favor those 3 other options.

All the best,
A.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Just curious, whats the hate that this piece get? It's a pretty standard vanilla Calatrava.
A lot of people consider the 5196 the best calatrava. I know that my 5196P has absolutely rocketed in value since I bought it in 2015.

The said the platinum version does have a different dial setting and more prominent sub dial than the J or G versions - so maybe it gets less hate (not that I have seen the hate you seem to have experienced?)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts