WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for Patek Nautilus alternative because the real thing is way out of budget (even if buying older model used).

By complete accident I came across the Burberry automatic when I was browsing their store.

https://us.burberry.com/the-britain-bby1203-43mm-automatic-p38393671

It is not as thin or light as the Nautilus but the look is very close, and the quality is actually really good (does not feel overpriced even though it is $1800).

Is this the best I can do if I want to come close to Nautilus for under $4k max?

I didn't know that Burberry came so close until I stumbled across it by accident, so that makes me wonder what else I may be missing ...

Do people here have any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15,474 Posts
Kinda/sorta reminded me of Aquanaut/Nautilus combo when I saw it (ok, that might be a stretch). In any regard, picked it up for $850 and it was well worth the money imo . .

Attachments

Reactions: wschofield3

·
Registered
467 Posts
If the budget is really 4k I wonder if it might not make sense to just hold off and buy the real thing. If you have smaller wrists the 3800 can be had for very reasonable prices (for a Patek).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks evryone! Jean Richard looks very interesting, need to check it out in person somehow.

(Also, saving for a used Nautilus is not an option for me ...)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the AP total oak is not really the same to me so I am not looking at it.

I am actually close to a Jean Richard dealer and man, are those watches big! The look is spot on, but no way can I pull off that size. So Burberry is still looking very appealing ... Thay and the fact that you probably get a return policy with it makes me want to give it a try ... Will keep you all posted!

·
Registered
3,442 Posts

I am actually close to a Jean Richard dealer and man, are those watches big! The look is spot on, but no way can I pull off that size.
I have good news for you, there will be a 39mm version of the JR Terrascope (the ones you saw are 44mm)....to be released during Baselworld 2015

Edit: here are some pics

·
Registered
514 Posts

I am actually close to a Jean Richard dealer and man, are those watches big! The look is spot on, but no way can I pull off that size. So Burberry is still looking very appealing ... Thay and the fact that you probably get a return policy with it makes me want to give it a try ... Will keep you all posted!

Your preference is yours, and if you don't like the Royal Oak, I wouldn't push you to buy it, however, the AP RO and the PP Nautilus, DO share the same designer- the legend, Gerald Genta.

·
Registered
15,474 Posts
Reactions: Renny

·
Registered
15,474 Posts
Nothing beats trying before buying of course. Short lugs on the JeanRichard does wonders for fitting small wrists I'm thinking. I have 6.5 inch wrists, the Fifty Fathoms is 45mm and the ochs und junior is 42mm. The ochs I think I could go even larger and it would still be fine . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, I tried the terrascope and it was just too big. Burberry ain't small either, but definitely smaller. Will look into the smaller terrascope, although the current one costs twice as much as Burberry so that's definitely a factor as well ...

·
Registered
467 Posts
(Also, saving for a used Nautilus is not an option for me ...)
I'm somewhat curious about why. Certainly being prepared to spent 4k on a watch is a relatively large financial commitment, and it seems a shame to spend that much on your second choice when you can have the real thing by simply saving a bit more.

Personally I find the divide between spending 500 and 2000 on a watch much much greater than the divide between 4000 and 8000, even though in the former case the absolute difference is smaller. In the latter case you are already prepared to spend thousands of dollars. I can't fathom a budget which says it's OK to spend 4000 on a watch and yet it is inconceivable to save the same.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the Grand Seiko suggestion!! I really like the quality and fit and finish, but the styling isn't for me ...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts