WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just saw the latest video from Watchfinder & Co about a Patek sports watch. Setting aside the content of the video (since I'm not interested in debating the ultimate sports watch... :-x), I was struck by the finishing on some of the macro shorts. In particular the weird pitting on the sub-dial hand. Given the care PP pits on the movement finishing, is this standard and expected?

By no means do I think this is easy to do and probably has no practical implication unless you're constantly looking at all your watches through loupes but c'mon... this is meant to be Patek right?

image (1).png

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
kiwi_kal...Hello!

I agree with you: this is absolutely not what one should encounter on a Patek.

Then again: within the context of the notion that Perfection is more an Idea than a Reality, we need to allow Patek a bit of wiggle-room here; for all we know, the image that you have Posted is of but one (1) hand out of, say, thousands i.e., Patek may have a 'success' rate approaching 99.9%.

That's pretty good.

Still: it IS Patek, and they should've caught it!

Michael.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It's not that surprising - I think there are a couple of macros showing Patek's anglage still has machining signs on them. I am somewhat surprised that the dial of a complicated Patek (albeit non-grand complication) shows that kind of flaw, not just entry level watches. Grand Seiko hands are cleaner.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I watched this video as well and there are multiple flaws on the one watch. The “0” of the “10” on the chronograph has a dot on it that clearly should not be there. Also the “windows” for the month and day of week are different sizes causing an imbalance of the dial. You can measure them by the minutes track and clearly see that one of them is two minutes bigger than the other. This really disappointed me and turned me off to this watch. I thought PP was supposed to be the best of the best, but these imperfections (multiple on one watch) are obvious to the naked eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting - thanks for sharing all. I know it’s all a marketing game at the end of the day but it sort of shatters the legendary status of PP for me personally. I was hoping it was an anomaly in the video. Oh well, different strokes for different folks I guess!

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Patek's work is generally pretty weak in a strict dollar-for-dollar sense. FPJ is known for not doing really good movement polishing work (although excellent movements and watches in general) and their finer finishing details are usually better than Patek. At the high end Lange, Grand Seiko (and yes, the precious metal ones are finished to an yet higher standard than steel models) and indies such as Laurent Ferrier are where the finer points is at. High end Patek is still great, but they build watches to a budget and it's pretty obvious at times.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I finally pulled the trigger on a PP 5205G this past October. I spent hours over the following several days maniacally looking at the watch ... loupe, no loupe, bright light, low light, sun light, front, back, dial, movement, etc. Maybe I’ve succumbed to the kool-aid, but I found only perfection.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's been well established amongst high end collectors that Patek quality is surpassed by many other brands. Patek has the branding and marketing, and most of the money goes there rather than in exceptional quality/hand finishing.
Dora, very interesting post, could you please tell us which brands have supassed Patek in terms of finishing?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts