WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know any watches that look very similar? always been fond of the watch, unfortunately do not have the profession to pay for the exact piece for now. not looking for a replica. just a watch that looks similar, i especially like the perpetual calendar and the moon phase.. any ideas?

Patek5970_02.jpg

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Lol. Thought you posted in the wrong forum!

Reactions: NoLeftTurn

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol no just high hopes on a look alike...picked up an invicta pro diver that identical to the sub...been wearing it as much as my tag aqua racer, because i love how subs look. i dont care for a replica or fake to act like i own one, i just want something to look they way i want it too. subs and 5970 are by far the most aesthetically pleasing to me!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
found it...not bad price, but anything cheaper? im sure asking for a swiss movement is impossible?

reasons being for $500 i was planning on getting thr uhr kraft big world

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Wish I could find something close to that myself, That Patek 5970 is absolutely stunning! I had the pleasure of seeing one in person on a business trip to Europe a few years ago at a high end shop and WOW, even better in person, but way, way more than I could even dream of shelling out. Nice taste in watches op.

·
Registered
310 Posts
This has been a grail for me for a very long time. I do not know of any watch that is similar to the 5970 or the 3970, even in the higher end watches. Just have to wait to win the lotto.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The Valjoux 7751 movement comes to mind. Might be a bit pricey, though (into 4 figures at least).

I don't think you'll find a better example (given its price) than the Sea-Gull posted above.

·
Vendor
27,768 Posts
Reactions: danja

·
Registered
779 Posts
What's a better watch the seagull or the perpetual?
What makes your think they are not a good watch?

75% of mechanical movements in the world are manufactured by seagull, and swiss companies such as claro semag use seagull movements ébauches and finish them and calls them "swiss". Heck, I'm betting most ETA movements start their life in china and end up being finished in Switzerland.

Don't buy into the "swiss" hype, a good movement is a good movement, no matter where it comes from.

·
Vendor
27,768 Posts
What's a better watch the seagull or the perpetual?
What makes your think they are not a good watch?

75% of mechanical movements in the world are manufactured by seagull, and swiss companies such as claro semag use seagull movements ébauches and finish them and calls them "swiss". Heck, I'm betting most ETA movements start their life in china and end up being finished in Switzerland.

Don't buy into the "swiss" hype, a good movement is a good movement, no matter where it comes from.
@Snaky - I think you may have misread OP's question (oops). It seems he was asking for a recommendation of one over the other (Seagull's in-house model vs. the Perpetual, which uses the same movement). The way the question was worded, I didn't read any opinion about either, and there was no mention of Swiss.

@OP - To answer your question, well, it's hard to answer your question.

Perpetual has an excellent reputation for turning out quality pieces at good prices. Their chrono I posted uses a movement from Seagull, so on paper it would seem the only thing that differentiates them would be styling differences, price, and the name on the dial.

Seagull rates their movements, just like Swiss companies. Depending on who you believe, the movements that go into their own finished watches are of the highest quality, or of the second highest. That doesn't mean they're always free from defect. There was a batch of bad movements that got out of the factory some years ago, which caused some problems within that production run, in fact I think it was in the M199S (an old story not worth rehashing in detail here). By comparison, Seagull's prices for their own models can often seem high when compared to other watches with similar specs, some even using the same movements.

Which brings us back to Perpetual. My understanding is that the ownership of Perpetual goes to some lengths to ensure their movements are of the highest quality, either by cherry-picking the best ones off the line, or giving them a thorough massaging in-house themselves. Either way, and as I said above, they enjoy an excellent reputation for quality.

If they were both identically styled, I'd probably go for the one with the lower price, regardless of which brand sold it. If there are subtle styling differences you notice, and you like one more than the other, then I might also take price into account, unless the price difference was negligible. I personally like the Perpetual's styling better than the Seagull, and it seems to be better priced, if the M199S runs $580. That's a $100 advantage to the Perpetual.

·
Registered
779 Posts
@Snaky - I think you may have misread OP's question (oops). It seems he was asking for a recommendation of one over the other (Seagull's in-house model vs. the Perpetual, which uses the same movement). The way the question was worded, I didn't read any opinion about either, and there was no mention of Swiss.

@OP - To answer your question, well, it's hard to answer your question.

Perpetual has an excellent reputation for turning out quality pieces at good prices. Their chrono I posted uses a movement from Seagull, so on paper it would seem the only thing that differentiates them would be styling differences, price, and the name on the dial.

Seagull rates their movements, just like Swiss companies. Depending on who you believe, the movements that go into their own finished watches are of the highest quality, or of the second highest. That doesn't mean they're always free from defect. There was a batch of bad movements that got out of the factory some years ago, which caused some problems within that production run, in fact I think it was in the M199S (an old story not worth rehashing in detail here). By comparison, Seagull's prices for their own models can often seem high when compared to other watches with similar specs, some even using the same movements.

Which brings us back to Perpetual. My understanding is that the ownership of Perpetual goes to some lengths to ensure their movements are of the highest quality, either by cherry-picking the best ones off the line, or giving them a thorough massaging in-house themselves. Either way, and as I said above, they enjoy an excellent reputation for quality.

If they were both identically styled, I'd probably go for the one with the lower price, regardless of which brand sold it. If there are subtle styling differences you notice, and you like one more than the other, then I might also take price into account, unless the price difference was negligible. I personally like the Perpetual's styling better than the Seagull, and it seems to be better priced, if the M199S runs $580. That's a $100 advantage to the Perpetual.
I did misread, my brain added a "than" in the post that wasn't there, my apologies.

Reactions: docvail

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have a Perpetual. Never had any quality complaints or concerns about it.

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
14,858 Posts
found it...not bad price, but anything cheaper? im sure asking for a swiss movement is impossible?

reasons being for $500 i was planning on getting thr uhr kraft big world
If you want cheaper, check out the Sea-Gull D2869s. It is does not have all of the complications found in the other, and the movement is a bit more basic, but it looks similar and is much more affordable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts