WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Pathfinder and Protrek....Same? Seriously?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ThomAsio 
#1 ·
I know I've seen this before somewhere, but are these the same watches? I'm looking at a Pathfinder PAW2000, and a Protrek PRG200, and the look the same, have all the same features, but the Protrek is $100 cheaper!

Please someone verify this for me so I can buy the Protrek!

#2 ·
the PRG-200 doesn't have atomic timekeeping. besides that it is identical with the PAW-2000.

cheers

#3 ·
PAW are mostly US market, PRW mostly Europe & Japanese market, PAG are the non "Atomic" US derivatives, and PRG is the non "Atomic" for the rest. PRX is Casio`s "Prestige" ABC line offering the 2000 series.

Best bet is to look what`s available in your region, or if you are looking for something different, Casio does launch various models (cosmetically) across several geographic regions www.casio.com

I normally look at the Japanese Protek site Protrek Japan as this has the newest releases (Chinese site has the best selection by far), then the local site for my region to see if an equivalent has been launched i.e the PRW-1500GBJ-1JR (Japanese market "Atomic") & PRG-130GB 1VDR (non "Atomic" version for regions outside of reception)

Most common PRG Protreks are; 40, 80, 90, 110, 130 200 (non Atomic)

Most common Pathfinders & Protreks are; PAW/PRW are 1100, 1200, 1300, 1500, 2000 & 5000 (Atomic), PAW is the Pathfinder & PRW the Protrek (trade names only)

Most Common PAG are; 40, 80 (non Atomic US etc market)

All are triple sensors full ABC function;

1VDR = Black
2VDR = Blue
3VDR = Green
7VDR = Titanium
YT = Titanium Ion coated (black)
GB = Ballistic Nylon strap (certainly strap adapters)

Mostly written as 1V, 7V etc

I assume the Japanese naming convention is the same with J1 being black, and YT being hard coated titanium, also referred to as "Black Titans" and are the high end Protrek`s, with a high end price tag, don`t look for large discounts on Japanese market models, a PRW-1500YTJ-1JF, is $813 US (retail Casio JP) and I have seen them in the region of $730 US shipped, Japanese domestic models are predominantly metric only.

Q-6

#4 ·
The confusion goes even further - because in europe the PAW-2000 is a PRW-2000 :-d. So the difference between Pathfinder and Protrek is the market not the functions - Pathfinder in the US - the non-atomic models are also listed under 'Pathfinder' on the US Casio homepage - and Protrek in the rest of the world.
cal..45 got it right of course - the PRG-200 is not atomic.
But if the PRG-200 would be officially sold in the US it would be called PAG-200 ;-).
So if we wanna make this 100% correct:
PAW: atomic models sold in the USA
PAG: non-atomic models sold in the USA
PRW: atomic models sold in the rest of the world
PRG: non-atomic models sold in the rest of the world

edit: damn! Queen6 was faster :-d:-d - the man who draws quicker than his own shadow :-d.

Greetings, Sedi :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.