WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on a Casio that has tide graphs, do you have to enter the first high tide info every day you want to read the tide graph or does it take the info once and is reasonably accurate for "a while"?

Full disclosure - I don't really use the tide graph function but I DO want to understand it on my Pathfinder PAW-1500.

So today the first high tide is X AM per published local tide tables. I enter the tide graph function and update that time so, for the rest of the day, the watch will show the tides properly for my location (Southern California.) But what about tomorrow? The tides are generally close to what they were the day before so the graph is not going to be horribly off but do I have to enter the high tide every day to have it be more than generally close? If not, how long can I go before updating the time?

The manual does not really say you can set it once and forget it but it also doesn't say you have to update it every day. So I was wondering what it is.

Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
The tide function on Casios is designed for semidiurnal tides (two high tides per day). It doesn't work for diurnal tides (one high tide per day) or mixed tides. So Cal has mixed tides, in this case semidiurnal tides with a significant variation. On my Casio tide watches that use the "first high tide" setting, I notice that the high tide times can vary by up to two hours or so compared to reality.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, skipping through the hours after setting first high tide time shows high and low tides that don't really reflect what's in the published tide tables. So the watch is not necessarily that "useful" when you get right down to it. But the question still remains.... Feed it data every day or every so often to be "close" to reality where it works?

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
Yeah, skipping through the hours after setting first high tide time shows high and low tides that don't really reflect what's in the published tide tables. So the watch is not necessarily that "useful" when you get right down to it. But the question still remains.... Feed it data every day or every so often to be "close" to reality where it works?
With mixed tides, you'll have to set the first high tide time every day if you want it to be accurate.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
I think there are some digital surfers watches from Nixon/Freestyle and such which do have reference sets for location and can do something more advanced.
Casio is fairly simple affair. On many models it even more simplified with no tide delay/coordinates - just time zone and that's it.
Pathinders/ProTreks are among most advanced Casio watches along with fishing/hunting timers and Casio Glide. But still like been said it only one high tide a day.
Not sure about rangebeast it smart watch in a sense and can be more sophisticated.

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
I think there are some digital surfers watches from Nixon/Freestyle and such which do have reference sets for location and can do something more advanced.
Casio is fairly simple affair. On many models it even more simplified with no tide delay/coordinates - just time zone and that's it.
Pathinders/ProTreks are among most advanced Casio watches along with fishing/hunting timers and Casio Glide. But still like been said it only one high tide a day.
Not sure about rangebeast it smart watch in a sense and can be more sophisticated.
The earlier Casio tide models use data inputs of the longitude and the lunitidal interval, while the newer models use the home city to determine the approximate longitude and the first high tide time for fine tuning of the calculated lunitidal interval. Both types are designed for two high tides per day.

I'm not sure if the GPR-B1000 can also handle one high tide per day. Someone would have to test this. Also, as far as I know, the tide graph on the GPR-B1000 always defaults to 6 AM on the current day. It would be nice if it could optionally be set default to the current time on the current day.

·
Banned
1,284 Posts
Tide is very complex. No watch ever can calculate the real tides. It is a hint, but if you really need the exact tide, you have to look it up.

Even very good institutions like the German Bundesamt für Schifffahrt und Hydrographie publish only forecasts. Changing factors like the wind can always change real tide in time and amount.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts