WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a pre-loved 2002 Submersible Pam 106 in excellent condition except for the hands which is showing some patina and corrosion due to the tritium.

Accirding to the local dealer i got it from, the previous owner was bragging about how he was able to do a full setvice from Panerai last month without them changing the dial and hands...thus keeping the patina intact.

I know this topic might have brrn discussed many times here but it's always nice to get some fresh insight. My questions are:

1. For something the majority of non wis people consider as a flaw or an aesthetic deffect, why do we keep it and hold it in high regard?

2. Given the fact that it will continue to deteriotate and look even worse, is there a point when we say enough is enough, time to change it?

I just thought i'd throw it out there to get mixed feedback from those who value the original look vs. keeping these precious items looking good as new.

thanks in advance

Adam

Tapatalk for Android

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
I part of the minority of enthusiasts who doesn't get it. If I had a watch with "patina" I'd have the hands or dial replaced during a service. I take dings and scrapes in stride knowing full well that when it's time for the watch to go to the spa it'll come back looking like a new watch.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Patinated 10 year old hands?
Love to see a pic.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Love to see a pic.
slight brownish discoloration on all the lumes on the dial and the hands and some corrosion on the chrome surrounding...ill be embarrassed to find out that im wrong but the dealer said in the pam 106 model in particular, its very common to see the tritium go quicker.

ill post a snap when i get home later :)

Tapatalk for Android

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
One reason to tolerate patina is that it often makes a vintage watch more collectible.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love to see a pic.
Here are some snaps of the watch...in some angles you can hardly see the corrosion in the hands but you can mostly see it upon closer inspection. I guess the discoloration of the lumes, i find attractive, its the corrosion on the chrome that is more of my concern as i cannot see any beauty in it apart from every wis i know telling me to keep it that way.

Of course i know very well that it's my watch and the most important thing is what makes me happy but before i rush into any decisions in changing the hands or not, i wanna take every view into consideration as i heard Panerai doesn't return the replaced parts to the owner after a spa treatment.

uploadfromtaptalk1343052360892.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1343052632456.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1343052654890.jpg

Tapatalk for Android

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,358 Posts
Patina, or the inevitable corrosion and wear that occurs as we enjoy our watches happens to all parts of a watch. Not just the lume that many of us focus on. If you re-lume hands and markers they will stand out from an aging dial, pitting bezel, well worn case and scuffed bracelet. We expect that as things age that they won't look as new so a partial restoration will be quite obvious. In my opinion most watches look worse when a patchwork restoration is performed than they would if just left as is. So my advice would be to leave it as is or have a complete restoration performed by someone who really knows what he is doing. I have seen several complete restorations performed by the Omega factory and the results are really amazing.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I like tritium patina. I've got it on my SMP. It's a nice color that looks good on the dial.

Sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I just got some unconfirmed info from doing a bit of reading on pam 106 service and apparently, if you send your watch in and agree to the changing of hands which they always offer as part of standard service, not only will they not give you back your old dismantled original tritium hands but the replacement hands they are using now are luminova hands which going back to John's earlier point may not match the patinated markers on the dial and will look like a patch job...maybe this explains why the dealer told me it will never be the same if I changed the hands..

My earlier idea was to find a new set of hands and have it installed by my local watchmaker so I can keep the tritium hands set aside for preservation but I can't seem to find a set of otiginal hands anywhere online. Are they really that hard to find or am I not looking hard enough? All i see are non original replacement lume hands on ebay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts