WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched a "Prisoner" DVD yesterday evening, the episode where an evil guy swaps his watch and No. 6 needs to get it repaired at the village's watchmaker.

sadly, the images don't get any better (video material is over 40 years old), and it's not possible to read the inscription on the TV or computer screen... :-s

Can anyone identify the make or model? Any info is appreciated :-!

Greetings from Vienna, Austria,

Christian

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Blu-ray version JUST came out a couple days ago here in the US, maybe if you get that one you'll be able to see more detail on the watch?

-s-
That's a good idea, but then I wonder if 40 year old material can be improved?

(I wonder when they release it in german, had to wait pretty long for the DVD release! McGoohans English is really really hard to understand for me...)

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
That's a good idea, but then I wonder if 40 year old material can be improved?

(I wonder when they release it in german, had to wait pretty long for the DVD release! McGoohans English is really really hard to understand for me...)
The original source is film, which is converted to TV quality... so the Blu-ray apparently looks very clear, sort of like the "Star Trek" TV episodes and also "Hogan's Heroes" looks quite good in HD. 60s TV shows are good candidates for high definition because many were filmed on 35mm film, much like many movies today.

The disc we get is English-only, unfortunately. I will probably not get this disc for another two months as I will be traveling, but if the question is unanswered then I will get the images from that disc.

-s-

·
Registered
628 Posts
Number Six seems to have gone through a few watches. In "Arrival", he is given a watch as an "electropass" to allow him to board a helicopter without being attacked by the Rover. The watch is clearly marked "Hamilton Automatic", altough it seems to have been modified with a three-handed dial construct to indicate when the "electropass" is working.

The helicopter attempt is unsuccessful, and as he is exiting the aircraft, Number Two, watching by video, muses that he'll let Six keep the watch as a reminder of the occassion.

In "The Chimes of Big Ben", Number Six's watch is clearly not waterproof, as it is ruined when he swims from a boat to shore and the sea water stops it (this is the second aired episode, so the Hamilton should be the one ruined here -- but they were aired out of production order, so who knows what the writers had in mind). He appropriates another watch from a confederate on shore in "Poland". In fact, the episode ends when he realized that the chimes of Big Ben he hears in his London office match up exactly with the watch, when they should be off by an hour to account for the actual time difference between "Poland" and "London". He is, of course, still in the Village.

In "The Schizoid Man", the Village workers moving Six in his sleep make a point of taking his watch from his bedside table with him, but there's never a clear shot of it.

Comcast is offering the episodes on demand at the moment. Clearly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I came across this post and noticed the pictures are now missing. They appear to have been reproduced here: watchesinmovies.info/tv/prisoner-the-1967-1968/

To me, the watch Patrick McGoohan wears in the episode calls "Arrival" and uses as an "electropass" looks like a modified Hamilton Super Compressor (the bezel is blacked out and the 12 o'clock marker replaced by a bright dot).

From The Prisoner:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

Hamilton Super Compressor via Hodinkee:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory White Fashion accessory

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.