WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently picked up this watch for a song. Appears to be all original minus the strap. It's beautiful and keeps great time.

I know of Gerard Perregaux watches, and I know Paul Perregaux, while not related to Gerard, did have a roll in inventing the screw down crown?

I didn't know he had a watch company.

Seller said it was a mid 60's piece.

Thoughts?

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hhhmmm, thanks for the input, guys. Would really like to get more info on this one. I can't even seem to get anywhere with a Google search.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,854 Posts
The movement is by Adolf Schild:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 1158

...or a related calibre. As for Paul Perregaux, I doubt that they are related to the co-inventor of the screw down crown (together with Georges Perret) since that was in 1925 and the company or brand was only registered in 1951. If I read the info in Mikrolisk correctly, they were a subbrand of Montres Dielfax of Neuchatel.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The movement is by Adolf Schild:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 1158

...or a related calibre. As for Paul Perregaux, I doubt that they are related to the co-inventor of the screw down crown (together with Georges Perret) since that was in 1925 and the company or brand was only registered in 1951. If I read the info in Mikrolisk correctly, they were a subbrand of Montres Dielfax of Neuchatel.

Hartmut Richter
This is the type of info I was desperately hoping for. Warm thanks!

Based on what you've shown here, would you place this piece in the 50's, or 60's?

Also, me being so new to the world if vintage watches, woul you put this movement in a "mediocre" category, or better? It sure seems to keep great time. Especially since, to my knowledge, it is in need of a service.

Thanks again for all of your help!!

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,854 Posts
I would tend more toward the 1950s for this watch. As for the quality of the movement, generic movements like this one came in a large variety of grades, from the really cheap and cheerful pin lever movements (Amida, Ebosa, etc.) to extremely high quality ones e.g. by Frederic Piguet. On that scale, Adolf Schild rate pretty high, alongside the other automatic movement makers in the ESA trust (ETA and Felsa) or the chronograph movement makers Venus and Valjoux. The only thing that regularly fails on AS movements if you treat them even just a little rough is the date feature but since your watch lacks one, you need not worry.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need to have you on speed dial! I can't thank you enough for this amazing info.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nice find !.....it seems very similar in some ways to other 1950's watches I've seen...but then I'm only starting to learn / there was a Girard Perregaux on ebay a month ago that looked very vaguely similar.

Njoy !...It's a beauty especially if you can buff the scratches from the case a bit cleaner

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks! I agree... I must have a watch fairy sitting on my shoulder. I've been finding some very nice vintage stuff of all origins (60's auto Elgin Shockmaster, this Paul Perregaux, a 4thQ '57 2809 Volna etc) at great prices. I've definitely got the bug, and its great to have a site like this with such amazing and knowledgable folks, willing to share :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts