WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across the below chrono. yesterday which I thought quite interesting and am tempted to make a low offer for but could find very little about the company.
What I do know is that it goes and the pushers work.
It has I understand a landeron 149 mov't 17 jewels which I am beginning to think is a bottom of the shelf chrono. mov't.
The dial says 'france' at six and the inside of back says 'marcel watch Corp '
The photos shown by the seller of the dial do not do it justice albeit there is a fair bit of patina evenly spread but all numbers are there.
Would appreciate thoughts on watch/ brand

Attachments

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,413 Posts
Definitely a Landeron calibre. Paul Portinoux was apparently a brand of Adolf Schwarcz & Son of New York (registered in 1959) and there is a US import code on the balance cock so it was probably assembled there. Marcel Watch Corp was located in Secaucus, New Jersey. Unless the latter is merely a case maker, I think it is quite possible that the watch was frankenised from parts. It is also difficult to explain the "France" on the dial from all this. If the watch is cheap enough and you just want a nice looking, working chronograph, by all means spend some cash on it. If originality is a big deal, however, I would first do some more research to verify the authenticity.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I agree. Landerons are quite common, but very solid quality movements. Wouldn't consider them "bottom shelf" at all. Reliable workhorses they are.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Definitely a Landeron calibre. Paul Portinoux was apparently a brand of Adolf Schwarcz & Son of New York (registered in 1959) and there is a US import code on the balance cock so it was probably assembled there. Marcel Watch Corp was located in Secaucus, New Jersey. Unless the latter is merely a case maker, I think it is quite possible that the watch was frankenised from parts. It is also difficult to explain the "France" on the dial from all this. If the watch is cheap enough and you just want a nice looking, working chronograph, by all means spend some cash on it. If originality is a big deal, however, I would first do some more research to verify the authenticity.

Hartmut Richter
Thanks for above.
I think the PP brand may have been used by many 'like aquastar perhaps'
In researching ( Google ) what I have come up with is that the Paul Portinoux brand was formed by PAULBUHRE,PAUL GARNIER,PAUL MAILLARDET,PAUL PICOT but then sold .
I have seen Portinoux watches with 'swiss' ' France ' and 'German ' printed either on the dial or on back case . Actually this one says marcel watch Corp France! inside back case.
One currently for sale is an alarm Paul Portinoux by JP Pingouin.

it was wrong of me to say Landeron was bottom shelf.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts