WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first time posting, so bear with me:

i recently purchased my first ABC watch. a Casio PAW1500GB. while i am overly satisfied with every other feature of the watch, the altitude sensor acts wildly. while i understand that this is normal due to sudden pressure and/or temperature changes, what i don't understand is how it can "loose" what i've programed into it. ie: during times of high stress on my part, the alti will fluctuate radically, but not return to current preset or properly adjusted alti. am i doing something wrong, or is this normal or what?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I don't have a PAW1500, but I do have a couple other Pathfinders. On mine, you can set the altitude, but that is only a "instant" setting. Once pressure changes, the altimeter will drift from that setting. Once the pressure returns to the value it was at when setting the altitude, the altitude should also be back to the set value.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Timmytron,

I have the same ABC and have had the same issues. All I can tell you is when you have a reference altitude at hand (sea level for me) just re-calibrate it. If you're about to go for a hike or something, you'd want to set the altimeter to a known altitude.

I've heard these Pathfinders tend to need to be calibrated often, when it comes to the alitmeter. If anyone has any better info on this particular ABC, feel free to let us know :think:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Hey Timmytron,

I have the same ABC and have had the same issues. All I can tell you is when you have a reference altitude at hand (sea level for me) just re-calibrate it. If you're about to go for a hike or something, you'd want to set the altimeter to a known altitude.

I've heard these Pathfinders tend to need to be calibrated often, when it comes to the alitmeter. If anyone has any better info on this particular ABC, feel free to let us know :think:
Some pointers on Protrek/Pathfinder`s;

Read Raj`s excellent post on Altitude, Barometric Pressure and ABC Watches, this will help a lot in understanding the function of the ABC watch.

Protrek`s & Pathfinder`s display absolute air pressure not mean seal level (MSL), so if you are uncertain how to set them up or do not have a known point of reference for absolute air pressure, just leave the watch on the factory default (barometer), it will be fine, as it will generally be very close. MSL is more frequently quoted on weather services, a potential source for absolute pressure reading is the full weather metar from the nearest airport. This is why often you see posts on calibrating the Casio`s, as some assume the watches barometric pressure reading is inaccurate in comparison to the local weather services which are predominantly advising MSL.

Casio ABC`s are best calibrated to a known altitude when worn on the wrist. Protrek`s & Pathfinder`s do not have any drift lock implementation, so if you remain at a static altitude for a period of time and the local barometric pressure changes then this pressure change will be reflected in the watches altitude measurement. As with all ABC`s in the field you need to plan your route and have known points of reference mapped out.

Casio has rather fallen behind in with the ABC line as a true field tool, focusing more on offering is sports watches with a level of ABC functionality. Other marque`s, offer much more technical ABC`s with; altitude presets, drift/barometric locks, thermal compensation of sensors, high resolution trend graphs, all of which make the watches more usable in the field.

More details here;
Are Protrek`s accurate #1
Are Protrek`s Accurate #2

Q-6

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the help guys! sorry about the delay in response, as i don't have a reliable internet connection where i live.

·
Registered
66 Posts
the altitude sensor acts wildly. while i understand that this is normal due to sudden pressure and/or temperature changes, what i don't understand is how it can "loose" what i've programed into it. ie: during times of high stress on my part, the alti will fluctuate radically, but not return to current preset or properly adjusted alti. am i doing something wrong, or is this normal or what?
Timmytron,
Did you ever figure out why your 1500 was loosing its altitude setting?
Ive had my 1500 for a couple days and am having same problem.
I will set known altitude at home sitting in family room at same temperature. Ten minutes later my altitude setting will have changed
(40-60ft), sitting in same room same temperature.
I have been told that the barametric pressure and altitude are totally seperate and will not effect each other on the 1500.

·
Premium Member
7,607 Posts
Timmytron,
I will set known altitude at home sitting in family room at same temperature. Ten minutes later my altitude setting will have changed
I have been told that the barametric pressure and altitude are totally seperate and will not effect each other on the 1500.
I don't know who told you that, but they are wrong <|

There is one sensor in the 1500 for atmospheric pressure.

From the data from that one sensor values for Barometric pressure and Altitude are displayed.

If the pressure changes, then both Barometric Pressure and Altitude readings change.

FYI - when Casio say their watches are "Triple Sensor" what they are talking about is 1 sensor for Air Pressure, 1 sensor for Compass bearing and 1 sensor for Temperature.

HTH

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Timmytron,
Yes & No, the readings are independent, however the altitude is still derived from barometric pressure. So if your local weather changes and you are at a static altitude the Protrek will reflect this as a change elevation as the Casio ABC`s do not employ altimeter locks etc, which makes them far more prone to inaccuracy and require very frequent calibration to avoid this.

On the other hand if you manually change ether the barometer or altimeter offset, it has no impact on the other display, which is converse to most other ABC`s.

Q-6

1 - 8 of 8 Posts