WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, looking for my first serious dress watch, I came across Omega De Ville Chronograph Co-Axial Calibre 9300 (431.10.42.51.03.001)… This is an absolutely stunning watch in my view, but a little out of my price range…

Watch Analog watch Blue Watch accessory Fashion accessory Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
I am looking for a dress watch in $3,000-4,000 range. My requirements are:
- Swiss made automatic.
- Good serious brand with history and depth.
- Good quality mechanism for the price range.
- Preferably reasonably good resale value for my peace of mind.
- Dress watch, something classy, settled, not too midstream, but not too crazy.
- I would like watch to be 36-42 mm, 10-12 mm thick.

I looked at pre-owned Rolex Datejust 16234 / 16233, Cartier Roadster W62025V3 and Cartier Santos 100 XL W200728G. I like the above referenced Omega the best, but am not sure I would be able to find it under $4k.

What dress watch similar to Omega De Ville, but in my price range would you recommend? Or, should I just stick with Rolex or Cartier? If Cartier, which one – Roadster or Santos? Thank you...

·
Premium Member
38,871 Posts
Might look at some of the Grand Seikos as another option. They fit most of your criteria.

·
Premium Member
23,122 Posts
What is your understanding of the term "dress watch?" In particular, with what kind of attire, and under what circumstances will you be wearing the watch? I ask because I wouldn't consider any of your options to fit a narrow definition of the term.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is your understanding of the term "dress watch?" In particular, with what kind of attire, and under what circumstances will you be wearing the watch? I ask because I wouldn't consider any of your options to fit a narrow definition of the term.
I consider a dress watch the one that is appropriate to wear with a suit, with or without a jacket. Not tachometer, not diver/aviator/etc. watch, somewhat subdued, without too many complications, with not too busy dial. Could be a chronometer, but with limited number of subdials. I really appreciate everybody's suggestions. Would prefer to stay with one of major brands, at the level of Omega, Cartier, Rolex. Looked at Longines, Maurice Lacroix, but am trying to find a model of a higher level brand, pre-owned at less than $4K. Still hope to find the right one within the range...

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
That red gold and blue dial deville is my favorite chronograph in Omega's line, but at $30k, a bit rich for me. Since your Rolex and Cartier options are non-chronograph, I presume you don't require that complication, in which case you may want to consider the non-chronograph version of the Omega. Same vintage style case with those sculpted curved lugs, white gold roman numerals, two-finish dial, the most comfortable bracelet I've ever worn, and housing the co-axial 8500 certified chronometer. 41mm and not as thick as the chronograph, so better suited for dress purposes. You should be able to pick up a good pre-owned for $4,200 or less. Mine...

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Premium Member
13,590 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,122 Posts
IWC Portofino Automatic IW356501?
$4500.00 Retail
I would rather get one of the Zenith dress watches based on the Elite movement that Ashford.com is offering for approximately $2K at the moment.

·
Banned
200 Posts
and it doesn't even have an inhouse movement just another modded eta2892-a2 too expensive for what it is
Correct, the 2892-A2: An indepth look at the ETA 2892 / ETA SA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The 2892.A2 is regarded by many horologists as being in better 'quality' range (accuracy and reliability) than the in-house produced Rolex movements.[SUP][8][/SUP] Insofar as accuracy is concerned any movement which is expected to be COSC-certified, or is in fact COSC-certified, must meet the same standards. The ETA 2892.A2 is usually found in the more expensive and prestigious watches and brands. Owing to its relatively slim height of 3.60 mm, the 2892.A2 is a favorite of watch brands that market complicated movements such as Breitling with its trademark chronograph (stop watches). Given the slim dimensions of the 2892, it provides a good platform on which to add or build a chronograph complication. It is also used in IWC's Portofino line without complications simply for its small size."

·
Banned
200 Posts
I would rather get one of the Zenith dress watches based on the Elite movement that Ashford.com is offering for approximately $2K at the moment.
Ashford.com is not an AD. You will not get a manufacturer warranty from them. They give they're own warranty which is worthless:

"As unauthorized dealers it is important to note that watches purchased on our site are not covered by the manufacturer’s warranty but we at Ashford.com have it all covered by our team of in house watch experts at your beck and call."

A load of BS. Grey market watches, just like Authentic Watches .com. Taking a chance buying on line from a non-AD.

·
Premium Member
23,122 Posts
Ashford.com is not an AD. You will not get a manufacturer warranty from them. They give they're own warranty which is worthless:

"As unauthorized dealers it is important to note that watches purchased on our site are not covered by the manufacturer’s warranty but we at Ashford.com have it all covered by our team of in house watch experts at your beck and call."

A load of BS. Grey market watches, just like Authentic Watches .com. Taking a chance buying on line from a non-AD.
I've bought watches from grey market dealers, and while I tend to prefer ADs for my higher-end timepieces, the discount on the Zeniths are quite exceptional and well worth the risk in my opinion. But, this depends on how risk adverse you are.

The IWC Portofino Automatic you suggested uses an IWC 35110, which is a Sellita SW300 and a clone of the ETA 2892-A2, and any competent watchmaker would be capable of servicing it, so buying that watch from a grey market dealer wouldn't be a big deal in my opinion, although it might be a bit more of a concern with the Zenith Elite movement. In fact, my Baume and Mercier Hampton Annual Calendar has an ETA 2892-A2 with a Dubois-Depraz big date annual calendar module, and I purchased it for a substantial discount from a grey market dealer.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
They give they're own warranty which is worthless:
What makes you say that Ashford's warranty is worthless? They seem to have a good reputation, and I imagine they have in-house watchmakers. I haven't especially paid attention -- is Ashford's warranty service problematic?

Note that a few grey-market warranties are actually better than a manufacturer's warranty. I'd take a Costco warranty over literally any other, given the choice. It just depends on the dealer.

·
Premium Member
13,590 Posts
Correct, the 2892-A2: An indepth look at the ETA 2892 / ETA SA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The 2892.A2 is regarded by many horologists as being in better 'quality' range (accuracy and reliability) than the in-house produced Rolex movements.[SUP][8][/SUP] Insofar as accuracy is concerned any movement which is expected to be COSC-certified, or is in fact COSC-certified, must meet the same standards. The ETA 2892.A2 is usually found in the more expensive and prestigious watches and brands. Owing to its relatively slim height of 3.60 mm, the 2892.A2 is a favorite of watch brands that market complicated movements such as Breitling with its trademark chronograph (stop watches). Given the slim dimensions of the 2892, it provides a good platform on which to add or build a chronograph complication. It is also used in IWC's Portofino line without complications simply for its small size."
I know about this but being an inhouse movement snob, I always rank eta as middle of the range stuff compared to inhouse movement, from the 40's to the 70's Eta was only supplying middle of the range brands, it is in the 80's till the 00's that they have supplied a lot of former prestigious brands which were inhouse manufactures. The movements that always got recognition and who were recognized as the best in the past (meaning from the 40's till late 70's) were always Rolex, Omega, Longines, IWC, JLC, Enicar, Piaget, Eterna inhouse movements and AS based Blancpain 50 fathoms. The 2892-a2 doesn't offer the same level of resistance than 3135 or 3035 which is the first generation of 28800bph Rolex movements and it only has a mere 42 hours of power reserve whereas the Rolex movement has 52. Since 1988, about a million of 3135 and its derivatives certified chronometers has been produced yearly not the case of the eta 2892-a2, also even back in the time of chronometric competitions (from the late 30's to the early 70's), the most prized Brands were Zenith, Omega, Longines and Rolex, as far as I know never an eta based watch in the past or the present won a single chronometric competition.

·
Registered
881 Posts
There are a plethora of great dress watches <$4k. If you can accept used, JLC is within reach. New, there's Grand Seiko, Frederique Constant, Baume & Mercier and several Zenith's based on the Zenith Elite movement eg the Captain Central Seconds:

Watch Analog watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

and this Zenith Heritage, since you like Roman numerals:
Watch Analog watch White Black Photograph

As noted above, the Zeniths ( and of course the JLCs, Grand Seikos and some Frederique Constants) have in house movements, if that's important to you.

Reactions: brrrdn

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Frederique Constant slimline moonphase FC705S4S6, automatic, 42mm, 11.3mm height, simple classic looks, in house movement...and well within your budget..

Sent from the dark side

·
Banned
200 Posts
What makes you say that Ashford's warranty is worthless? They seem to have a good reputation, and I imagine they have in-house watchmakers. I haven't especially paid attention -- is Ashford's warranty service problematic?

Note that a few grey-market warranties are actually better than a manufacturer's warranty. I'd take a Costco warranty over literally any other, given the choice. It just depends on the dealer.
Grey market watches are grey market for a reason. Many times the manufacturer has liquidated them due to not passing the QA check. This could be anything from a minor issue to something major. The warranty at most of these dealers states that they conduct in-house repairs. If they even fix your watch, they use after market parts and sometimes actually make it worse. The common phrase from Authentic Watches is: Your watch is not broken. It requires a service which is not covered by warranty ($400.00). Read the links below. The last link is Costco. I could not find any reviews on watches but a lot of complaints on their warranty in general. I have also read that Costco states it will refund or exchange anything you buy from them. I'm not sure this is always the case by reading the reviews below. My point is, your rolling the dice when you buy an expensive watch from the grey market. It may be worth spending the extra money at an AD.

Authentic Watches - Moorpark, CA

Authenticwatches.com Review - JEWELERS - RETAIL in Moorpark, CA - BBB Business Review - BBB serving Ventura, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo Counties

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ashfo...OMPANY-IS-A-COMPLETE-100-SCAM-Internet-565139

Ashford Reviews | Ashford.com Consumer Reviews on SiteJabber

Costco Reviews - costco.com Ratings at ResellerRatings

1 - 20 of 35 Posts