WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello boys and girls,

Just looking for some views from Pelagos owners really. I want a watch to celebrate joining the forces when I do in a few years, had thought a Bremont would be perfect but as now also thinking about the Pelagos, main reason is that I dive and so would be good to be able to take it diving.

I do plan on wearing it while serving so may take a beating, is the Pelagos up for this? Or does the titanium scuff up to easily, I am not afraid of scratches though.

Or should I stop being silly and just get a g-shock?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I know this is probably the wrong way to look at it, and it has little to do with their other watches, but ever since bremont tried to call their wright brothers LE watch in-house to boost sales and were caught stretching the truth a bit, I have less respect for their brand. So I would go for the Pelagos. Bremont does make some very nice pieces though.

i didn't really answer your bigger question on durability but I'll let others chime in on that.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, it tainted the brand a bit for me as well. However a couple of days after that happened i was in London and went to their Mayfair boutique and forgot all about it due to the sheer quality of their watches in your hands, lovely stuff.

Also Nick English gave a reasonably ballsy apology on Hodinkee, you wouldn't see many CEOs putting their hands up like he did. Doesn't excuse it but its something

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,636 Posts
This is my main niggle against using a GShock or other digital or quartz watch....I have this romantic idea of being a 1 watch guy and wearing it the rest of your life. Now, I have many more than 1, but that's not the point. I have a handful of Rolex watches that have been with me while hunting Lionfish in the Caribbean, hiking in the Alps in Switzerland, diving off the coast of Cinque Terre in Italy, walking the streets of Rome, Florence, and other historic cities, and many other momentous times in my life. Someday, I believe I will look back on those times and the watch will be a point of reflection and remembrance for me and hopefully my kids, grandkids, great grandkids, etc.

An inexpensive watch that just won't last doesn't fit the bill for me. I love the Pelagos for what it is.....but for me it is not the everyday watch (It does fit for being durable and lasting, and have the ability to be passed-down for generations). It is just too big for my tastes for the everyday and everything watch. I wear mine from time to time, but would love it 10x more if it was made at the EXACT dimensions as a 16600.

Find a pre-owned 16600 and sell all your other watches. Wear it on a NATO while doing the more vigorous activities of life, and put it back on the bracelet when you need to shave and clean-up a little. Wear it EVERYDAY of your life and for EVERY event. Your descendants will appreciate it someday, and you will appreciate it today :-!

Just my 2c

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
True, it tainted the brand a bit for me as well. However a couple of days after that happened i was in London and went to their Mayfair boutique and forgot all about it due to the sheer quality of their watches in your hands, lovely stuff.

Also Nick English gave a reasonably ballsy apology on Hodinkee, you wouldn't see many CEOs putting their hands up like he did. Doesn't excuse it but its something
Yeah, they do make some beautiful pieces. I don't know if I would call that an apology though. Claiming you didn't know what in-house movement really meant as a CEO of a watch manufacture was a poor choice of words at best and fully untruthful at worst. I agree that most CEOs would not have been interviewed if caught in something that embarrassing though.

But besides that point, back to your main question. I like Jason's thoughts too, have you considered any other brand (second hand even) such as rolex, omega or maybe even something like Damasko for a less common option, or are you firm on Tudor/Bremont?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is my main niggle against using a GShock or other digital or quartz watch....I have this romantic idea of being a 1 watch guy and wearing it the rest of your life. Now, I have many more than 1, but that's not the point. I have a handful of Rolex watches that have been with me while hunting Lionfish in the Caribbean, hiking in the Alps in Switzerland, diving off the coast of Cinque Terre in Italy, walking the streets of Rome, Florence, and other historic cities, and many other momentous times in my life. Someday, I believe I will look back on those times and the watch will be a point of reflection and remembrance for me and hopefully my kids, grandkids, great grandkids, etc.

An inexpensive watch that just won't last doesn't fit the bill for me. I love the Pelagos for what it is.....but for me it is not the everyday watch (It does fit for being durable and lasting, and have the ability to be passed-down for generations). It is just too big for my tastes for the everyday and everything watch. I wear mine from time to time, but would love it 10x more if it was made at the EXACT dimensions as a 16600.

Find a pre-owned 16600 and sell all your other watches. Wear it on a NATO while doing the more vigorous activities of life, and put it back on the bracelet when you need to shave and clean-up a little. Wear it EVERYDAY of your life and for EVERY event. Your descendants will appreciate it someday, and you will appreciate it today :-!

Just my 2c
My feelings exactly, and I do wonder about just have one watch and loving it. Problem is I couldn't afford a Sea Dweller (which is also the watch I would choose!) for a number of years. Even a used one is twice the price of the Pelagos.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, they do make some beautiful pieces. I don't know if I would call that an apology though. Claiming you didn't know what in-house movement really meant as a CEO of a watch manufacture was a poor choice of words at best and fully untruthful at worst. I agree that most CEOs would not have been interviewed if caught in something that embarrassing though.

But besides that point, back to your main question. I like Jason's thoughts too, have you considered any other brand (second hand even) such as rolex, omega or maybe even something like Damasko for a less common option, or are you firm on Tudor/Bremont?
I have looked at Damasko and Sinn and while they make some great watches technically the design doesn't sing to me. I like Tudor because it has military history, made by Rolex but doesn't have the image "stuff" which could be detrimental especially wearing it in the forces as a young officer. Bremont because it is tough and british, like me ;) omega, i like but i mainly just like the speedmaster moonwatch and it doesn't have the requires WR

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I have looked at Damasko and Sinn and while they make some great watches technically the design doesn't sing to me. I like Tudor because it has military history, made by Rolex but doesn't have the image "stuff" which could be detrimental especially wearing it in the forces as a young officer. Bremont because it is tough and british, like me ;) omega, i like but i mainly just like the speedmaster moonwatch and it doesn't have the requires WR
Well with that context, you should absolutely go with Bremont over the Pelagos. As you noted, they are low profile, durable, can come with some neat strap options such as the nato, and are very well made. If your not completely sold on it, IWC is another option (albeit some models more pricey) that also has a unique military heritage with some of their pilot models. However I don't think they'd meet your WR requirements.

Outside of my aforementioned bremont comments, I'm not that big of a fan of the Pelagos, which is why I keep suggesting other options (perhaps to your annoyance :)). I will refrain from posting my negative opinions on the Pelagos however as I don't want to offend any owners and they are just my opinions for that matter. As others have suggested maybe more subtly than I am here, though, if you are seriously considering the Tudor, I'd reconsider just going for Rolex.

That was a long winded reply. Sorry.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well with that context, you should absolutely go with Bremont over the Pelagos. As you noted, they are low profile, durable, can come with some neat strap options such as the nato, and are very well made. If your not completely sold on it, IWC is another option (albeit some models more pricey) that also has a unique military heritage with some of their pilot models. However I don't think they'd meet your WR requirements.

Outside of my aforementioned bremont comments, I'm not that big of a fan of the Pelagos, which is why I keep suggesting other options (perhaps to your annoyance :)). I will refrain from posting my negative opinions on the Pelagos however as I don't want to offend any owners and they are just my opinions for that matter. As others have suggested maybe more subtly than I am here, though, if you are seriously considering the Tudor, I'd reconsider just going for Rolex.

That was a long winded reply. Sorry.
Certainly no apology needed.

Also it would be boring if we all had the same opinions! I like the Pelagos (although I have never actually held one, I will soon as they are coming to the UK on the 19th of September) because I have an affinity for tool watches and the Pelagos i think is quite a rare thing in a real tool watch made by a high-end mainstream-ish company. And this is also what turns me off a lot of Rolexes, all their "updates" at the moment are making watches more blingy (probably to pander to the massive asian market) as a lover of watch history i like watches with an actual purpose, all this shiny polished surface nonsense is so superficial and not up my street. Having said that, I like the new Explorer II and the SD4000 but that is really it from the current sports line-up, whereas I like ALL of the sports Rolexes from pre-2008ish.

I would like to hear why you don't like the Pelagos.

Reactions: Kluber

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Haha, well I am glad you didn't consider my lengthy response or offer of other options annoying. I'll pass, though, on my not as positive Pelagos opinions for risk of sounding like a watch snob, and let other owners chime in with their thoughts. As I have said, many swear by them. Good luck in your search! Cheers.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, well I am glad you didn't consider my lengthy response or offer of other options annoying. I'll pass, though, on my not as positive Pelagos opinions for risk of sounding like a watch snob, and let other owners chime in with their thoughts. As I have said, many swear by them. Good luck in your search! Cheers.
Haha I think you have said enough! To be honest I find the whole notion of a "watch snob" utter nonsense. Everyone likes watches for different reasons. It seems like people brand you as a snob because you love a watch partly due to the brand perception and how they market. When a timex is just as useful as a rolex I think that "snobbery" is a perfectly good reason to like or dislike a watch. As when spending over a certain amount a watch becomes more than a watch and needs to make you feel something, if having a very strong brand helps you get that feeling then it's all fair.

Reactions: Kluber

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Pelagos is quite a watch. Features such as terrific lume on dial and bezel, titanium case and bracelet, fully adjustable clasp, a date feature, even the first notch on the bezel is a little harder to move to help prevent accidental movement, and a gas escape valve make it a terrific buy.
It's more like a sd than a Sub.
When the time comes a Casio Gshock can fit the bill too.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,636 Posts
My feelings exactly, and I do wonder about just have one watch and loving it. Problem is I couldn't afford a Sea Dweller (which is also the watch I would choose!) for a number of years. Even a used one is twice the price of the Pelagos.
I was in your shoes once, and it just means save...save...save...save.

I believe most people can afford what they choose to afford......it is mostly priorities. I got reprimanded by a co-worker for buying my last Rolex........this was at the same time as he was trading his 2 year old $50,000 truck for $28,000 on a trade-in. He and I have different priorities. He likes new vehicles, and I don't mind driving a honda accord with 185,000 miles that is almost 10 years old.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Have you considered a used Rolex 14060. They are a step between the Pelagos and the SD. Great watch that looks great, does fine for normal diving, captures the subs heritage, and will maintain its value until you can sell and step up to a SD.

·
4,410 Posts
If you love the Pelagos, then buy it. If you love the Bremont, then buy that one. If you want something else, and may have to wait, then do that. If you want a tough british, (like you,) military watch then look into CWC. They make some really nice stuff IMO.

But, it really boils down to what do YOU want. Opinions from complete strangers on a watch forum, regarding various watches you may, or may not like, can only do so much, regardless of how persuasive they may be. Look inward for your final decision.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Absolutely love my Pelagos. It was my go to before I got a Rolex and ultimately it still is my go to. I'm not terribly easy on it and it still looks absolutely tops. If I could only own one watch it would be this one. I hesitate saying my 42mm Explorer II would be it because while I do like it best I find myself wanting to baby it too much for everyday use.

Ergo, my vote goes to the Pelagos for your situation. Wear it. Love it. Beat on it.

It can take it.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
If you love the Pelagos, then buy it. If you love the Bremont, then buy that one. If you want something else, and may have to wait, then do that. If you want a tough british, (like you,) military watch then look into CWC. They make some really nice stuff IMO.

But, it really boils down to what do YOU want. Opinions from complete strangers on a watch forum, regarding various watches you may, or may not like, can only do so much, regardless of how persuasive they may be. Look inward for your final decision.
i think we all agree on this, at least I hope we do.

But this is what makes the forums so enjoyable. Outside of learning about particulars of a watch or movement, it's discussing with other watch geeks what new or next one you are thinking about getting and soliciting any ownership experiences. I truly doubt watchstudent is going to collectively take forum members opinions and let them override his own decision making process.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

yes i of course will buy the one i like the most. just wanted to have a chat about it with the good people on here and also see how people thought their Tudor's were holding up to any kind of abuse/heavy use.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts