WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two passions...watches and pointing out movie inconsistencies. I watched "The Taking of Pelham 123" on DVD last night...a good movie by the way. There are four scenes in the movie where an extreme close up of John Travolta's watch takes up the whole screen. It is clearly a silver dialed Breitling Colt. In the scenes where Travolta's watch is seen from a distance it is a black dialed watch with silver sub dials and pushers. How did the producers miss that??

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
I found that odd as well. Go to www.watchesinmovies.info and search for Pelham 123 and you will see the watches in question.

Some movie prop people I guess does not think that anyone will notice the kind of watches, etc. (We are in VERY minority)

I posted some time ago where in Terminator 3, Terminator takes the cloths and (presumably the watch) from a male stripper in a small bar. In next scene, he looks at the watch (don't know why a cyborg would need a watch since he probably has internal clock) and it is AP Royal Oak. I highly doubt someone working those small bar as a stripper can afford $20K + watch, but who knows. Probably it was Arnie's watch they just used it in the shot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You have to wonder if this was not a Travolta screw up, seeing as how he is a Brietling "Ambassador"

(Some random internet pic)

The other watch is a Breitling Aeromarine Colt II Auto

Oh yeah, Watches In Movies - great link!

b-)​

·
Registered
915 Posts
I found that odd as well. Go to www.watchesinmovies.info and search for Pelham 123 and you will see the watches in question.

Some movie prop people I guess does not think that anyone will notice the kind of watches, etc. (We are in VERY minority)

I posted some time ago where in Terminator 3, Terminator takes the cloths and (presumably the watch) from a male stripper in a small bar. In next scene, he looks at the watch (don't know why a cyborg would need a watch since he probably has internal clock) and it is AP Royal Oak. I highly doubt someone working those small bar as a stripper can afford $20K + watch, but who knows. Probably it was Arnie's watch they just used it in the shot.
I thought the exact same thing as you as to why a cyborg would need a wristwatch AND that the stripper would have a $20,000 watch. It just didn't make sense.

The Pelham watch thing made me wonder too as I watched it on the big screen.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
The black dialed one appears to be a Breitling Chrono Avenger M1.

I havent seen the movie, but is it all one continuous scene, or is it possible that he goes home and changes?

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The black dialed one appears to be a Breitling Chrono Avenger M1.

I havent seen the movie, but is it all one continuous scene, or is it possible that he goes home and changes?
Nope continuous scenes. He looks at his watch and it is a Colt...the very next second and it's the chrono!

·
Registered
272 Posts
You have to wonder if this was not a Travolta screw up, seeing as how he is a Brietling "Ambassador"​

(Some random internet pic)​

The other watch is a Breitling Aeromarine Colt II Auto​

Oh yeah, Watches In Movies - great link!​

b-)​
I on the other hand, being a barber, am most bothered by the numerous hairs left significantly longer toward the back of his head...

·
Registered
256 Posts
OH MY GOD. THAT IS SO UNBELIEVABLY WEIRD. I AM CURRENTLY WATCHING THAT MOVIE AND JUST NOTICED THAT. It reminded me of watches so I figured I'd check my WUS thread and saw this. HOLY *****. HOW WEEEEIRD. They clearly just edited in the Colt scenes later. That might be one of the strangest coincidences of my life.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
yeah when i watched that movie couple weeks back i noticed it.

mostly likely the colt shots were done after filming to make the audience notice the time in regards to the storyline.

·
Registered
256 Posts
yeah when i watched that movie couple weeks back i noticed it.

mostly likely the colt shots were done after filming to make the audience notice the time in regards to the storyline.
I have a feeling there might be a slightly different agenda for Breitling. b-)

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Here's what happened:

Breitling paid to have at least two of their watches be recognizable in the movie, the chronograph was one and they wanted the Colt to be in the close-up, so it was.

Consistency had to take a back seat to advertising.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Here's what happened:

Breitling paid to have at least two of their watches be recognizable in the movie, the chronograph was one and they wanted the Colt to be in the close-up, so it was.

what about JLC? James Gandolfini was wearing one and they took a closeup of that

·
Registered
30 Posts
on another note: anyone else notice that Ball seemed to make a big beal out of their product being in the movie (there's even a blurb in Oct. IW magazine), but, after watching the movie I can't recall a single decent shot of a Ball watch in any scene. Did I miss something?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Here's what happened:

Maybe, but its also possible that Travolta just wore his own watch during filming like many actors do, and mistakenly (or purposely) wore a different one.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Maybe, but its also possible that Travolta just wore his own watch during filming like many actors do, and mistakenly (or purposely) wore a different one.

I doubt it. Normally, they go over everything a person wears with the wardrobe dept. Nothing is there by accident.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I doubt it. Normally, they go over everything a person wears with the wardrobe dept. Nothing is there by accident.
While I do find it hard to believe it was a complete mistake, I find it equally hard to believe that if they wanted to make such a blatant advertisement, they would make such an obvious goof on the very watch that they want you to stare at to begin with.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
what about JLC? James Gandolfini was wearing one and they took a closeup of that
Who said the producers can't take money from more than one watch company?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
on another note: anyone else notice that Ball seemed to make a big beal out of their product being in the movie (there's even a blurb in Oct. IW magazine), but, after watching the movie I can't recall a single decent shot of a Ball watch in any scene. Did I miss something?
Yes, the Ball was shown twice, just not closeups though

·
Registered
915 Posts
Here's what happened:

Wow, is that true? If so that's pretty sad. They couldn't have two people wear Breitlings and have two separate shots?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Bringing this up from the dead as I just watched this movie on satellite and also noticed JLC and Breitling(both versions).

Question is what scenes had the Ball watches?

Also does anyone know what Denzel was wearing? I don't think it showed the face of the watch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts