WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are more than a few picture and praise threads about DIY Pelican Cases as Watch Cases, and since they recently convinced me to go that route I wanted to quick share and add my info to the pile.

I went with the popular Pelican 1200. I took a page from usurp's thread, as I liked his symmetric layout, and went with the 6 watch setup. I was doing this after everyone was in bed so of course I first needed to start with coffee, and sequestered a long steak knife from the kitchen too (my box cutter blade was too short; a long knife makes it simple and it's not like this needs surgical sharpness)

Following usurp but to add a bit, I left a 1 block perimeter on all sides. Since there is non-pluck "fixed foam" perimeter bordering all the pick-and-pluck boxes, this leaves a solid 2 blockwidths wide ring around.

From that, I did a 3 blocks width x 4 blocks tall cut out. The next cutouts are then 3 blocks from the other watch holes, both laterally and verically. Nice easy division of space and leaves it looking very clean. Thanks for posting that size/spacing info in addition to the pics. It helps if you want to check your math, don't want to do the math, or want to modify a known symmetric layout for your own purpose (like a pocket for straps, dive extensions, tools, etc.)

With the holes in place and following a few other posters I grabbed some 1" pipe insulation (bout $2 USD for a billion feet of it...ok 6'...of which you'll use 7 inches) and cut donuts just about the 3 block width wide. The foam you pull out from the 3x4 holes fits and fills the pipe insulation donut holes perfectly and makes for a nice, cheap, comfortable fit for watches of all types. The donut goes back into the slot sans WUW nice and quick. Wrapping the watches simply around the pluck-foam works just fine too, but it's not as smooth.

I also added the pipe-insulation+stuffing bit because I plan on making another one of these (if not more). Most likely it will be a small one for travel. Maybe just one slot or two. Putting everything on symmetric holders makes the in-and-out really easy. I can swap watches on these holders from a Storage Pelican into a Travel Pelican fast. Yes I realize throwing an extra in a sock works pretty fast too, but that isn't quite Type-A enough for many of us.

Hope this might help someone else. If you make a Pelican case out of another size Pelican, try and post your measurements for the layout too!

Attachments

·
Registered
718 Posts
Nice set up! I'm thinking about picking up the same size. It looks like it may be able to fit 8 with your set up or 9 if you rotate the watches horizontally.

Instead of a new thread, I thought I'd ask here...are there any issues with the foam slowly flaking off? Any one have long term experience with the foam? I know a lot of camera guys mention this issue on forums...I understand that this is due to the open cell foam. I've read many guys switching over to the closed cell type.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Bencayetano,

You definitely can fit 8 or 9 in there. There is a pic of an orange 1200 with 9. They fit just fine and he's got some big heads in there. I was originally going to use this as a travel case so I put more space just in case there was left/right motion. I don't think there would be however.

With regard to the foam, I had a pelican case for a camera that did get a bit decrepit. It's cheap and easy to replace, but I can see why people switch to the closed cell. If you're going to have the exact same watch in the exact same place in the case, I could see switching. Being able to swap sizes and keep them secure is the major reason I stay with the open cell/stock foam, though. Also, with the deep cases like the 1200, the heads sit easily on top of the foam and press straight down when the lid and the top foam come down to sandwich. A smaller case with much less depth, like the Micro 1050 I have for travel, takes more foam abuse and is distorting more quickly because I have to seat the watch head and bracelet more compactly into the shallow space.

just my 2 cents...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.