WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, as the title suggests i am looking for an affordable (<£200) everyday auto pepsi diver watch. I have researched the seiko forum in particular as i respect the brand and have come up with a few models that have caught my eye..so my question to you guys is which one and why. I am open to other brands/suggestions you may have as long as they are available here in the UK. Many thanks in advance, Chris .

SNZF15J1

SKX009K2

I think i prefer the look of the first one i listed due to the crown positioning and larger numbers on bezel

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Not an auto, but I have an EcoDrive.

It's my main watch, worn about 90% of the time as the bracelet is very comfortable and the size is just right for me.
And I got it last year for £40 from eBay (boxed, manuals, etc.).

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
SKX009 over the Seiko 5 by a LONG way. Here is why -

200m gives you a true divers watch, instead of only 100m.
The crown at the 4 o'clock position is less likely to dig into the back of your hand than at the 3 o'clock position.
The dial looks a little more cluttered with the big '5' logo, which cheapens the watch a little IMHO.
Possibly a better bracelet on the 009.

The SKX007/009 are regularly lauded as being absolute classics in the budget dive watch sector, and receive a lot of praise on these forums. I wouldn't get a cut down Seiko 5 version, I'd get the proper thing.

·
Registered
543 Posts

The crown at the 4 o'clock position is less likely to dig into the back of your hand than at the 3 o'clock position.
The dial looks a little more cluttered with the big '5' logo, which cheapens the watch a little IMHO.

The SKX007/009 are regularly lauded as being absolute classics in the budget dive watch sector, and receive a lot of praise on these forums. I wouldn't get a cut down Seiko 5 version, I'd get the proper thing.
I concur...

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
The first one has a more modern looking... the second is more dated, but more of a "true" diver's watch (which probably doesn't really matter for most of us).

It's too bad Orient doesn't make a Ray with a Pepsi or Coke bezel. That would be a good-looking Pepsi watch.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestiions guys! J.W. while i do like the SSC019, i am looking to just keep it a plain 3 hand or GMT dial. In researching the topic further i came across this..

Steinhart Ocean 1 GMT (borrowed picture), i know this is a little more than the price i stated earlier but it looks a fantastic watch for the money-the craftmanship looks a similar level to Christopher Ward. Anybody owned one of these Steinharts, is the brand well thought of..once again your insight is appreciated. Chris

·
Registered
3,006 Posts

+1 the skx009 is a gem. The Solar divers are pretty nice too, but are really chunky IMO.

·
Registered
543 Posts
if you research this brand, you'll find that they make a very good product for the price... some people are turned off by the brand because its a fairly new company based on a homage type collection... some people don't like the bracelet on the submariner watches, but most don't mind... for the most part their watches are nice, but not my cup of tea...

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Not an auto, but I have an EcoDrive.

It's my main watch, worn about 90% of the time as the bracelet is very comfortable and the size is just right for me.
And I got it last year for £40 from eBay (boxed, manuals, etc.).
£40!!!! What a bargain. Can I ask what the model number is?

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
I'd go for the 009.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I also wanted a Pepsi bezel watch and Alpha was the closest to my liking/budget, but it's not a divers watch.

I wanted a Seiko 5, the snzf15, but the blue dial wasn't for me, I wanted black dial and Pepsi bezel. I might get SKX009 later on...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Thanks for the suggestiions guys! J.W. while i do like the SSC019, i am looking to just keep it a plain 3 hand or GMT dial.
Understood. There is also the Orient option. Pepsi Mako can be found online for about $120 USD right now which IMO is a steal. I still think I would spend the extra and go with the Seiko 009 though.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
My vote would be for the 009, it's a great watch for the price. Nicely finished, a true 200M WR and the jubilee bracelet is very comfortable and IMO looks great.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts