·
Registered
14,911 Posts
Sounds/looks good to me . . .

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
If it were me I'd switch the GMT II for a SUB. Two reasons:
1. Setting the GMT complication every weekend?
2. The GMT is too blingy with those PCLs

Nice selection, otherwise! How close are you?

My perfect 4-watch rotation would be:
1. Patek Nautilus - for the work week.
2. Rolex Polar Explorer II - my second daily to rotate, + rough activities on the weekend (swimming, hiking, etc) + travel watch.
3. Sinn U1 - dive watch
4. Jaeger LeCoultre - dress watch and occasional work watch.

I'd have to sell a couple of piece and save a bit more before I could consider the Patek Nautilus. I'm not sure it's worth the 26K price tag either.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it were me I'd switch the GMT II for a SUB. Two reasons:
1. Setting the GMT complication every weekend?
2. The GMT is too blingy with those PCLs

Nice selection, otherwise! How close are you?

2. Rolex Polar Explorer II - my second daily to rotate, + rough activities on the weekend (swimming, hiking, etc) + travel watch.
3. Sinn U1 - dive watch

I'd have to sell a couple of piece and save a bit more before I could consider the Patek Nautilus. I'm not sure it's worth the 26K price tag either.
Thanks for your comments. I think I should have the collection sorted by December:)!

Funnily enough, I have the black explorer ii and sub but was thinking of getting rid of both and replacing with a gmt ii.

I do like the explorer 2 but have found it sometimes difficult to read due to the extra hand. Is that your experience as well? I like there idea of a gmt hand and think the gmt 2 will be easier to read but it is too bling as well. Decisions!!!

Though, haven't decided yet. I agree re the plc but it can be brushed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Thanks for your comments. I think I should have the collection sorted by December:)!

Funnily enough, I have the black explorer ii and sub but was thinking of getting rid of both and replacing with a gmt ii.

I do like the explorer 2 but have found it sometimes difficult to read due to the extra hand. Is that your experience as well? I like there idea of a gmt hand and think the gmt 2 will be easier to read but it is too bling as well. Decisions!!!

Though, haven't decided yet. I agree re the plc but it can be brushed.

Hmm... I'd say my 216570 is by far the most legible watch I have. I dare say it's more legible than the black one, too, because all the hands are black (on white) as opposed to white gold (on black). The one thing about the Explorer II that I would change is the size. 2mm less and it would be completely perfect. Right now it's 99% perfect.

Btw, which Royal Oak are we talking? 15300/15400 or 15202?

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
It looks great. But to nit pick, the Portuguese would never figure into a grail list for me because it does not have an in-house movement, and at the price point IWC tries to get, it ought to have one. A Zenith El Primero or JLC would be far more appealing to me.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Nice choices but I would probably replace the IWC with something else as well. Probably a GO Vintage Seventies or the Senator Chronograph.

·
Banned
2,649 Posts
My perfect collection would be:

1. Ap royal oak blue dial - 41 mm - work watch
2 portuguse automatic white dial - smart casual watch;
3. Gmt master ii rolex - dress down/weekend/holiday watch
4. Reverso tribute 1931 - dress watch.

What do you think? Versatile enough?

I would want a lot more originality in my perfect watch collection, a Seven Friday, a Seiko TUNA, something relatively unique not just a poster board for rich WASP watch collection. They're all great watches and I would any one of them, but I would also like some individuality in my selection.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I agree re the size.

I've ordered an AP 15400 blue dial (42mm).

AP 15400 is 41mm. It wears much larger then 41mm. I just had a chance to try it this week and I do prefer 15300 although I was hesitant before trying the 41mm model. I also tried on the 15202 and I must say that is the prefect RO IMO. What a beauty. That movement is superb.

In regards to your collection, I would keep the SubC vs the GMTc. If you want to spicy it up get the Hulk.

The 7 days is a beauty for sure and although it gets lots of heat on WUS, I still like it.

The rest of your choice are great.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
3. Sinn U1 - dive watch

Mhhhh... No Hulk? I love that watch and BTW I did try on the 42mm Polar a few times and I found it too toolish for me. I sold my Pelagos because of that so I am not gonna get it. Maybe It will grow on me but not for now. I do understand why so many people like it though.

From your collection, the Hulk and the MUT Moon are my favourite by far. I would never sell those two.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
the Portuguese would never figure into a grail list for me because it does not have an in-house movement...
Portuguese has an in-house movement. The standard portuguese is the 7 days. Portuguese chrono does not, although the new model does also have inhouse movement.

The only downside to the 7 days is the thickness and the accuracy. It's not the most loved model on WUS but I really like the design and only me needs to be happy... ;)

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I agree re the size.

I've ordered an AP 15400 blue dial (42mm).

Did you try on one? Believe they were considerably larger than the diameter would suggest.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Portuguese has an in-house movement. The standard portuguese is the 7 days. Portuguese chrono does not, although the new model does also have inhouse movement.

The only downside to the 7 days is the thickness and the accuracy. It's not the most loved model on WUS but I really like the design and only me needs to be happy... ;)
Tried on the rose gold 7days. wow..what a great piece.

although it's too dressy for me I think those are really cool looking, not to mention the movement.

In comparison the chrono wears much smaller(even after they jumboed the case from the ETA version)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I think you need a #5. Cheap beater watch.

Something like a DW-5600E, or F-91W, or Timex, or Seiko 5.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts