WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

181 - 200 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Indeed. Shame BM had to take the turbo route as it really has taken away their forte IMO. E46 was a sweet iteration and in the UK, seem to be going up in value..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. Here in the states, the E36 is going up. E46 appears to be staying about the same right now but I’m sure will be going up soon. E9x’s are still going down a little.
Manual E46 coupes depreciated down to the $15,000 region a few years back and have come back up to around $20,000 for a decent driver. Low-mileage and super clean cars are a bit more. I'd say they're a buy right now, though... they're the last raw M3 and I can't see them staying that cheap for long.

Personally I don't love the way naturally-aspirated M3s drive, I'm not sure why though. I think it's because the power delivery is so linear, I prefer a shove either from turbos or low-end torque. Driving a few of E46s and an E92 was a huge "don't meet your heroes" moment for me.

That being said, the E46 on factory 18" wheels is one of the best looking cars of the modern era (~1970-up). Coupe or convertible, it's phenomenal looking.

Reactions: BeyondAddiction

·
Registered
263 Posts
Manual E46 coupes depreciated down to the $15,000 region a few years back and have come back up to around $20,000 for a decent driver. Low-mileage and super clean cars are a bit more. I'd say they're a buy right now, though... they're the last raw M3 and I can't see them staying that cheap for long.

Personally I don't love the way naturally-aspirated M3s drive, I'm not sure why though. I think it's because the power delivery is so linear, I prefer a shove either from turbos or low-end torque. Driving a few of E46s and an E92 was a huge "don't meet your heroes" moment for me.

That being said, the E46 on factory 18" wheels is one of the best looking cars of the modern era (~1970-up). Coupe or convertible, it's phenomenal looking.

My ‘95 was supercharged, so it had the same N/A character, but more power. I have read that the e9x’s wake up with more torque by just deleting the main cats and getting a tune. Still not torque monsters, but more of what you would expect to have in the car that size.

·
Registered
996 Posts
...Personally I don't love the way naturally-aspirated M3s drive, I'm not sure why though. I think it's because the power delivery is so linear, I prefer a shove either from turbos or low-end torque. Driving a few of E46s and an E92 was a huge "don't meet your heroes" moment for me.
To me these are two completely different experiences. NA vs Turbo arguments are endless, however IMO they both are equally engaging although in a different manner.

·
Registered
496 Posts
That's a beast maybe a bit lost on our US friends though?!
I hope not. I think there is a decent Mini scene in the states. :think:
In comparison with some of the (lucky) guy's on here, it's really nothing special at all.
However, I've been a big mini fan for 40 years, so for me, it's a great little car. Handles like it's on rails, and really very exhilarating to drive.
At my age, it's (unfortunately) one of the few things that really gets my pulse racing! :-d :-d
Car people here love things like Carfection, All things Chris Harris and Top Gear. A Mini won't get the love here by casual cars and coffee pedestrians but CAR people love them. The same way a plain date just would be oogled by a non watch person because Rolex but a Patek would be ignored. Those that know, know.

To me these are two completely different experiences. NA vs Turbo arguments are endless, however IMO they both are equally engaging although in a different manner.
HAHA. If you think this argument is polarizing in BMW, come step over to the Porsche world. You've never seen so many millionaires bicker like little girls that take comments about someone else's preference so personally.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Yeah, I completely agree. I did a M track day event and drove up in my e92 M3. On track, I drove an M2 and F80. The low end shove, even with moderate throttle felt nice---and unlike smaller 2.0t engines, I didn't notice a reduction in torque around redline. It was a nice driving experience and really enjoyed the F80 on a road course. Having said that, cars like the e46 M3 and e92 M3 are the last of a breed----high revving, lowish torque experiences. You really need to be deliberate to get performance out of those cars. I can see how some wouldn't like the NA cars around town, but once you get into a situation where you're always >3500 rpms, things get really fun as well. And the noise. There's also that.

I could really see why someone would own both a previous gen NA M3 and one of the turbo M3/4 cars. It's a "what feels right today" sort of thing.

Reactions: BeyondAddiction

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yeah, I completely agree. I did a M track day event and drove up in my e92 M3. On track, I drove an M2 and F80. The low end shove, even with moderate throttle felt nice---and unlike smaller 2.0t engines, I didn't notice a reduction in torque around redline. It was a nice driving experience and really enjoyed the F80 on a road course. Having said that, cars like the e46 M3 and e92 M3 are the last of a breed----high revving, lowish torque experiences. You really need to be deliberate to get performance out of those cars. I can see how some wouldn't like the NA cars around town, but once you get into a situation where you're always >3500 rpms, things get really fun as well. And the noise. There's also that.

I could really see why someone would own both a previous gen NA M3 and one of the turbo M3/4 cars. It's a "what feels right today" sort of thing.
Like an NA flat 6 Porsche - plenty of torque if you're in the right gear and rev range;)

·
Registered
496 Posts

Like an NA flat 6 Porsche - plenty of torque if you're in the right gear and rev range;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Oh for sure. I own both right now and our house is 2/3 turbos.

I loved the handling of the E46, and as I said they're stunning. I also didn't beat on them too hard because they were both beautiful low-mileage cars and the owner was next to me both times... that may be the problem

·
Banned
27 Posts
The watch or car aren’t focal points, and please don’t think anything to serious in this photo, I was just goofing off with the new phone/camera.
OP 39 and Veloster N, reasonably priced daily driver and regular HPDE/Track day car. OEM tires are marginal for track work, needing to burn them up and get some proper rubber installed.
phun Phone 1.jpg

·
Banned
27 Posts
The watch or car aren’t focal points, and please don’t think anything to serious in this photo, I was just goofing off with the new phone/camera.
OP 39 and Veloster N, reasonably priced daily driver and regular HPDE/Track day car. OEM tires are marginal for track work, needing to burn them up and get some proper rubber installed.
phun Phone 1.jpg

·
Registered
996 Posts
Both are 991.1
The 991.1 Carrera/S/4s/GTS all were Naturally Aspirated with optional Manual Transmission or PDK. 991.2 made them smaller turbo engines and I did not like them for that. Transmission choices remained.
The 991.1 Turbo and Turbo S were obviously both turbo engines. They, unfortunately, did not offer a manual transmission, however, as much as I love the MTs and always choose them in my NA cars, for the Turbo (capital T) 911s I like PDKs better anyway.

Then it was 991.2 and while gen to gen Turbo cars got better, like I said, NA was ditched for the smaller turbos in the regular 911 models, which some embrace (due to more low rpm torque), while some (me included) didn't.

GT3 and GT2 had their own lineage and we better leave it out of this page for now.

And now we have a 992. Which is also everything turbo or Turbo except the GT3. I could not (yet?) make myself to like new styling and esp. interior and the rear of this new 992 gen. Dynamics-wise it is more capable car.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Both are 991.1
The 991.1 Carrera/S/4s/GTS all were Naturally Aspirated with optional Manual Transmission or PDK. 991.2 made them smaller turbo engines and I did not like them for that. Transmission choices remained.
The 991.1 Turbo and Turbo S were obviously both turbo engines. They, unfortunately, did not offer a manual transmission, however, as much as I love the MTs and always choose them in my NA cars, for the Turbo (capital T) 911s I like PDKs better anyway.

Then it was 991.2 and while gen to gen Turbo cars got better, like I said, NA was ditched for the smaller turbos in the regular 911 models, which some embrace (due to more low rpm torque), while some (me included) didn't.

GT3 and GT2 had their own lineage and we better leave it out of this page for now.

And now we have a 992. Which is also everything turbo or Turbo except the GT3. I could not (yet?) make myself to like new styling and esp. interior and the rear of this new 992 gen. Dynamics-wise it is more capable car.
Thanks. I’m sorely tempted by the 981s Boxster as an intro to the porker world. My preference would be for pdk and sports steering wheel. Dark side, here I come

·
Registered
996 Posts
Well, just before I bought my '96 NA Miata I looked at Toyota MR2 Spyder and at Boxsters 986 and 987 (obviously all of them used).
Unexpectedly , I liked the Miata the best and bought the one I found on a spot. If I did not have my 911s at that time I'd probably gone to 981 Cayman S with stick. The 981 gen is still the better choice this side of 718 4.0L NA.

I am sure you know that Rennlist is much better place for everything Porsche discussions.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Well, just before I bought my '96 NA Miata I looked at Toyota MR2 Spyder and at Boxsters 986 and 987 (obviously all of them used).
Unexpectedly , I liked the Miata the best and bought the one I found on a spot. If I did not have my 911s at that time I'd probably gone to 981 Cayman S with stick. The 981 gen is still the better choice this side of 718 4.0L NA.

I am sure you know that Rennlist is much better place for everything Porsche discussions.
Thanks, I’ll check it. 718 4L, now you’re talking

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thanks. I’m sorely tempted by the 981s Boxster as an intro to the porker world. My preference would be for pdk and sports steering wheel. Dark side, here I come

Sports wheel is a must. PDK is a great transmission but IMO for any of the not batsh*t crazy fast 911s (Turbo, GT#, etc) a manual is the way to go to get the maximum enjoyment and connection with the car. With a Boxster especially, that's a car that's meant to truly be driven.

Or you can be a true purist and go air-cooled, to do Porsche ownership the correct way

Reactions: SolarPower
181 - 200 of 208 Posts