WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

101 - 120 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Miata's are awesome. So much fun to autocross.
I did have a mk2 mx5(Uk). Really enjoyed that 1.8 engine and almost perfect balance. The gear change was short and snappy, possibly the best gear change I’ve experienced.

Regretted selling it but moved onto the M Coupe..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,020 Posts
I did have a mk2 mx5(Uk). Really enjoyed that 1.8 engine and almost perfect balance. The gear change was short and snappy, possibly the best gear change I’ve experienced.

Regretted selling it but moved onto the M Coupe..
Did you have the E36 or E86 M Coupe? The E36 "Shoe" is a classic. I had the E86 before and I loved that car. It was the truly last fully analog M car that BMW made.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Here is my pedestrian daily commuter. Not at all exotic but gives me some fun in my 80 miles a day commute.
Is that the turbo AWD?
Had an Impreza turbo in my youth, the rally replica. Light weight and a lot of fun.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Is that the turbo AWD?
Had an Impreza turbo in my youth, the rally replica. Light weight and a lot of fun.

Yup, turbo 2.0 and enough space for me to haul my family of 4 around. As you said, its light weight and AWD makes it quite a fun car to be thrown around corners.

Among the few BMWs I had driven in the past, the one I had the most fun with is the Z4 3.0si.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Yup, turbo 2.0 and enough space for me to haul my family of 4 around. As you said, its light weight and AWD makes it quite a fun car to be thrown around corners.

Among the few BMWs I had driven in the past, the one I had the most fun with is the Z4 3.0si.
You driven a GC8 with the old fashioned turbos? They were fun to drive and a light car. You really had to rev to get the most of them (or rather the turbo lag punishes you if you’re out of gear).

PS if you haven’t don’t take your WRX to a track, it’s the reason I sold mine (the understeer). On a gravel,road though, they are a VERY fun car because of how much earlier you can get on the gas

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
You driven a GC8 with the old fashioned turbos? They were fun to drive and a light car. You really had to rev to get the most of them (or rather the turbo lag punishes you if you’re out of gear).

PS if you haven’t don’t take your WRX to a track, it’s the reason I sold mine (the understeer). On a gravel,road though, they are a VERY fun car because of how much earlier you can get on the gas
Understeer can be reduced by fitting a rear ARB, well on the 2000 model it worked.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Understeer can be reduced by fitting a rear ARB, well on the 2000 model it worked.

I had that done on mine (a 2006) but through the WRX club drove most years from the 99 up to the 09 year and all had the same problem on track with understeer.

Bigger rear sway bar helped it but didn’t stop that nose wanting to push wide. Road was okay it was just the moment you took it on the track it came up

·
Registered
29,717 Posts

I had that done on mine (a 2006) but through the WRX club drove most years from the 99 up to the 09 year and all had the same problem on track with understeer.

Bigger rear sway bar helped it but didn’t stop that nose wanting to push wide. Road was okay it was just the moment you took it on the track it came up

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #116

I did not find that on the Uk model. Put in some tidy laps at the Nurburgring. Maybe the Uk models were setup differently.

All in all the favourite car I have run. Maybe it was the social element of being part of the scooby club.

·
Registered
969 Posts

I haven't tried the GC8, it looks like a fun car to drive around the track where you always keep the rev high anyway. The WRX is my daily commute car, for me to have a little bit of fun on the street during my long commute. The twin scroll turbo gives it a nice early torque, which makes it pretty fun to drive on the street. The last fun car I owned was a 2001 B5 S4, which I took to the track a few times. Even with a bigger rear anti-sway bar, its heavy nose still keeps it understeer pretty badly. Compare to that, the understeering of the WRX doesn't feel that bad at all to me, at least on the street (may be I have to drive it harder :). I think if I were to go back to the track though, I probably would take an old Miata or S2000 (and if I have the means, an old 911).

101 - 120 of 208 Posts