WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 632 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past two weeks and months... i just couldn't stop noticing that STEINHART GERMANY had been bombarded by frequent complaints of poor response to order emails or delayed shipment or even in-complete package received(warranty card, user manual)...

What i've noticed is that most of the complains are from 1st time buyers of this brand. Of course...perhaps some old time buyers may have experienced such hiccups, as this brand is getting more and more attention. The old timers are taking these issues easy.

Maybe some brudders here, who are from the logistic profession or with experience may wish to share some tactics or solution on the order processing efficiency? Such that, if there's anybody from STEINHART are a forum member(hopefully there is...) could read and take as advise?

After all...to what i see, STEINHART GERMANY may have a relatively small team to handle world response on their produce.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Great idea! I ordered 2 Steinhart 6 days ago. I did not respond to the submission saying "where is my watch". I waited patiently and today I received this message:

FRANZ,
thank you for buying at Steinhart Watches. We hope you will be satisfied with the items you ordered.
Enclosed you find our commercial invoice for making the payment.
We would be happy to see you again in our shop. Have a nice day!
Your Steinhart Watches - Team
Best regards,

Steinhart Watches
Kobelweg 12 1/4
86156 Augsburg
Deutschland
Tel: +49 (0)821 5433800
Fax: +49 (0)821 5433801
E-Mail: [email protected]
Steinhart Watches - exklusive Uhren für Liebhaber - Fliegeruhren, Chronographen

I will pay for the watches when I have time and whenever they arrive, they arrive. In the mean time there is Beer to be consumed! I think if someone is looking for instant watch gratification (excluding h. solo), they should go to a store and walk out with a purchased watch. I think the buying process takes longer and just confuses steinhart when people send them daily emails. That is my opinion.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
franzy.........|> |> |>......

I will pay for the watches when I have time and whenever they arrive, they arrive. In the mean time there is Beer to be consumed! I think if someone is looking for instant watch gratification (excluding h. solo), they should go to a store and walk out with a purchased watch. I think the buying process takes longer and just confuses steinhart when people send them daily emails. That is my opinion.
Ed.Yang, a few good points mate, one that first time customers are not as relaxed during the ordering process as other experienced with Steinhart. For the first timers the search function is an awesome tool as most concerns & questions can be answered if older posts with explanations are accessed. The use of the search function can certainly stop some uneccessary threads/posts that end up becoming heated..

The idea of a sticky with wide ranging advice on Steinhart has been discussed between a couple of us...... However, it will not be something that is going to magically appear overnight when & if it happens....;-)

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Being and ex-logistic officer before, i've learned that there are significant difference on how westerners as well as the orientals do their business.

The Westerners usually release their goods to an order first, money comes later. Hence the credit period.
The Orientals usually talk about money come first...goods release later.

So... i wouldn't really be surprise that most of the complains are from the eastern part of the globe, an perhaps under influence, some westerners may lost their patience, eagerly want their goods to their hands after they've made the payment. It's all about credibility.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Being and ex-logistic officer before, i've learned that there are significant difference on how westerners as well as the orientals do their business.

The Westerners usually release their goods to an order first, money comes later. Hence the credit period.
The Orientals usually talk about money come first...goods release later.

So... i wouldn't really be surprise that most of the complains are from the eastern part of the globe, an perhaps under influence, some westerners may lost their patience, eagerly want their goods to their hands after they've made the payment. It's all about credibility.
That certainly is true... And something I have noticed. However, Steinhart not being Eastern in the least, I don't really see how that matters... ;-)

Except that in my perception, the latest trend in eBusiness is to go the "Eastern way", that is most firms engaged in selling goods on the internet wait for the payment before even preparing the goods for shipment.

Customers may complain now, but it's our own fault if that is becoming a standard. Too many firms have sent goods only to receive a mail saying "ah... no... eventually I don't want to buy your item". Or similar things, or getting paid months after the good was ordered. The credit period and the send the goods immediately, be paid after, is OK in normalized Business to Business relationships, where the credit delay sort of balances out between clients and providers. When dealing with individual customers, that's just bad risk.

As for Steinhart's logisitics, when I bought my Nav B-Uhr, in May this year, I had sent a mail to inquire about the time until potential delivery as I was going on holidays soon. I received the info fairly soon, sent my order and paid immediately, using PayPal as that speeds things up (according to Gunter himself) and eventually received my watch 2 or 3 days before my departure... Attached to the watch, in the package, there was a post it with a note saying "priority parcel" or something...
So, for now, hats off from me for Steinhart order processing!

·
Registered
9,877 Posts
After all...to what i see, STEINHART GERMANY may have a relatively small team to handle world response on their produce.

they are a Small Team. or i should rather say: a Small Boutique .

what i'm thinking and may Help some New Buyers is a Blinking Style Sticky on TOP OF THE FORUM PAGE that says: First Time Buyers. Please Read before Ordering.

i don't know. it's just a thought .:think:
Cheers

Reactions: issacar

·
Registered
48 Posts
While I agree that dealing with a smaller operation you have to alow for a longer time frame communication is key.
Running a service business (Hairdressing) as long as you keep your clients informed they don't mind waiting its the not knowing that causes stress.
I have recently got my "Nav B Chrono 47" after six months of deliberating and then two days later ordered a "Aviation GMT" and last week a "Triton 100ATM".
While I know I will get my watch a week to wait for notice of post is starting to feel a little long I got an email Monday saying it would ship Tuesday and now Wednesday 11:00pm no email.
Yes I may be a little eager but I know what my clients demand, and what we try to provide.
But all this will pale into insignificance when I put it on my wrist for the first time.
And to think I was looking at a second hand IWC Pilot Chrono, when I look at my Nav-B all thoughts of my dream of a "Big Pilot" disappear (not that I could have afforded one).
I just thank google for finding Steinhart for me and all you other owners for posting such glowing reviews.
Thank you you have helped me to choose well.:)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well, I personally think in this day and age (read: digital age), Steinhart should have more than an "[email protected]" email address for most customer communications.

That was my "issue" after my order was placed. They were great beforehand but once my money was transferred it was a challenge to get information from them.

Yes, the faithful here will jump all over me, but there should be another email address for communicating AFTER you have placed an order.

I'm sorry, but if you have $500 of my money, my inquiries should not be lumped with general questions of "what new models do you have coming?"

Reactions: NH102.22

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good point at my salon we have a "Facebook" page and clients expect an almost instant reply to appointments made (Like I can afford a person to just watch Facebook when I have all these watches to buy!!!!!!!!!)
But I will stick with my Yeah for the small guy(being one).
And I know my patience will be rewarded ;)

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...I'm sorry, but if you have $500 of my money, my inquiries should not be lumped with general questions of "what new models do you have coming?"
mmm... that sounds more like after sales communication servie...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I placed an order yesterday night for my second Steinhart. I got an-email this morning saying that they have received payment and will dispatch within few days. I got the same message when ordering first watch and actually they dispatched the same day. Hopefully everything goes so smoothly again this time :roll:

Reactions: Robert Breslin

·
Registered
507 Posts
As a recent first time customer of Steinhart, I have to chime in. A week ago I completed my order for a Nav B-Uhr II 44 mm. I found Steinhart to be professional. They answered my emails. My watch arrived punctually with all the pieces (manuals, etc) included. It was a great experience and now I have a stellar time piece. (The case, crystal, movement and design of the watch are outstanding. I've only had it a few days and it is already a favorite.)

HISTORY:
• August 7- I ordered a Nav B-Uhr II 44 mm automatic from their site. There was some goofiness with my bank and Paypal--the payment wouldn't process. I emailed Steinhart to let them know I would find out what I could the following morning. I received a response to that email thanking me for the purchase and for the email.

• August 8 - After talking with my bank, the payment was processed.

• August 10 - I received a shipping notice and FedEx tracking information.

• August 12 - The watch arrived in Austin, Texas (from Ausburg, Germany).

Note: I did pay with Paypal up front. I am used to paying for things when I buy them, so it was not a problem. I have bought several things from overseas merchants, so I am used to waiting and long on patience. As you can see, 5 days from beginning to the end of the transaction is not excessive by any stretch of the imagination.

Perhaps the others are experiencing Steinhart's growing pains. After my experience I'm inclined to cut them some slack.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I tend to agree that the "post sale" communication could be tuned up a bit. Obviously, this is something that is a lagging indicator behind sales growth (i.e. with fewer sales, there would be fewer e-mails to answer so they would be answered more quickly).

In my experience, we as consumers just want to know what to expect. For example, I have a watch in to Steinhart for repair. It was delivered to Steinhart on 7/28 and is still there. Maybe the delay is due to their watchmaker being on holiday - reasonable. Maybe 2 weeks is simply the normal backlog and I am in the queue - again, very reasonable. The bottom line is it is the not knowing that is worrisome. I 100% trust Steinhart, but a quick note saying "we have your watch and the estimated turn around time is X weeks" would certainly set my mind at ease.

I would even suggest they be generous with the time estimate. Say 4 weeks when you think it'll be only 3 - that way I'll be pleasantly surprised.

To me, a positive customer experience (and I am not saying mine wasn't positive - I actually have another Steinhart on order!) begins with properly setting expectations.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I tend to agree that the "post sale" communication could be tuned up a bit. Obviously, this is something that is a lagging indicator behind sales growth (i.e. with fewer sales, there would be fewer e-mails to answer so they would be answered more quickly).

In my experience, we as consumers just want to know what to expect. For example, I have a watch in to Steinhart for repair. It was delivered to Steinhart on 7/28 and is still there. Maybe the delay is due to their watchmaker being on holiday - reasonable. Maybe 2 weeks is simply the normal backlog and I am in the queue - again, very reasonable. The bottom line is it is the not knowing that is worrisome. I 100% trust Steinhart, but a quick note saying "we have your watch and the estimated turn around time is X weeks" would certainly set my mind at ease.

I would even suggest they be generous with the time estimate. Say 4 weeks when you think it'll be only 3 - that way I'll be pleasantly surprised.

To me, a positive customer experience (and I am not saying mine wasn't positive - I actually have another Steinhart on order!) begins with properly setting expectations.
You're very right, here.

The key to consumer satisfaction is to reduce the gap between expectations and realizations.

It may well be that those of us very satisfied with Steinhart's order processing are so just because we did not expect so much communication (I'm used to buying stuff on eBay from HK/Singapore, and this can really take a long time coming, and no messages, most of the time). Plus, being European, with a culture quite similar to Steinhart's, they probably now what I expect (more or less) and provide accordingly.

It might be different for US customers (or from other places/cultures), or for any of us who are expecting a closer follow-up once their money's sent. And Steinhart needs to implement some kind of procedure for these guys, and clarify what to expect from them.

Really stating how things are going to unfold between the moment the order is placed and the moment the watch arrives, with an expected time line, when to expect or not to expect a mail, etc. would not be difficult and could make the process easier for the customers, give them in the end more satisfaction.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm not wishing to bag the company as I am a recent convert and last week ordered my 3rd and I will certainly be back for more.
But I do think that communication could be improved as the process of buying the watch is weeks or (in my case) months of deliberation, so that once you have handed over your hard earned you are wanting a little love,
especially from a boutique company.
But once my Triton arrives all will be forgotten and the Marine timer that I keep finding open on my desktop will be on its way to becoming a reality.
HISTORY:
  • August 10[SUP]th[/SUP] Paid via credit card
  • August 11[SUP]th[/SUP] Received notice of payment
  • August 15[SUP]th[/SUP] Asked for verification of order
  • August 15[SUP]th[/SUP] Received verification of order and should be shipped on the 16th
    August 18[SUP]th[/SUP] Waiting....

Then again in this world of instant communication and gratification its nice to be made to wait a little for something.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Yep, it certainly is a humbleing & relaxing experience to sit back & contemplate on what it was like to have to wait patiently for something to arrive. no stress. Now if you are not stressed & pressured in to getting something ASAP then something isn't right.........:-d :-d :-d

Then again in this world of instant communication and gratification its nice to be made to wait a little for something.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I believe that they are, as of late, a victim of their own success.

I have ordered my fourth watch now and it seems that each one has taken a day or two longer than the last one, and email responses have also slowed too.

Perhaps it’s time to hire some more folks??

1 - 20 of 632 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.