3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a look at the just released Straposphere3

Niooce. 2 on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
36,111 Posts
Good looking straps. Like that particular shade of blue.

Enjoy them.

·
Registered
Lately: Omega Seamaster Professional Divers 300
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,641 Posts
Are these only available from Eulit?
No, they are not available from Eulit. Available from different sellers, I got mine from Makine by timemachine.fi.

90314194-D3C1-4740-BD80-DC92CF8BEFC5.jpg

I am sure they are not Perlon®. It is Nylon merhinks. Often mixed up. There have been a couple of pretty detailed threads here on WatchUSeek about genuine Perlon (trade mark) vs. braided nylon being sold as Perlon.

Perlon and Nylon both are Polyamide but different fibres and of course made out of different basics (Perlon = Caprolactam, Nylon = Hexamethylendiamin + Adipin) which ends up in a different fracture strain.

Nylon is Nylon 6,6, the condensation product of 1,6-diaminohexane and 1,6-hexanedicarboxylic acid. Perlon is Polyamide 6, the ring-opening polymerization product of caprolactam. It was developed In the 1930s. There also is a difference in the order of the amide bonds. However, all other properties are somehow comparable.

·
Registered
629 Posts
That green is very attractive.. Do I see a tan? Could pair with a BB58 very nicely..

·
Vendor
3,056 Posts
No, they are not available from Eulit. Available from different sellers, I got mine from Makine by timemachine.fi.

I am sure they are not Perlon®. It is Nylon merhinks. Often mixed up. There have been a couple of pretty detailed threads here on WatchUSeek about genuine Perlon (trade mark) vs. braided nylon being sold as Perlon.

Perlon and Nylon both are Polyamide but different fibres and of course made out of different basics (Perlon = Caprolactam, Nylon = Hexamethylendiamin + Adipin) which ends up in a different fracture strain.

Nylon is Nylon 6,6, the condensation product of 1,6-diaminohexane and 1,6-hexanedicarboxylic acid. Perlon is Polyamide 6, the ring-opening polymerization product of caprolactam. It was developed In the 1930s. There also is a difference in the order of the amide bonds. However, all other properties are somehow comparable.
Mike, the one in your photo is not even marketed as perlon. The difference can clearly be seen in the photos. That material of your strap is a knock off of our Chevron™ weave. The knock offs are made with cheaper polyester, ours are made with nylon 6,6.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Options beyond the technicalities of a particular nylon or perlon are far more important. Sure C&B (insert any other manufacturer) make a great product and I own a few of theirs.

But there's a reason that there is a thousand different strap makers. They all work exactly the same as watches. They copy aspects from others that have been successful. A Submariner for 10k or a spot for 10$.

With watch straps one particular strap might be too thick, too thin, too long, too rigid, too soft and the list continues. Everyone's answer is also different. So we have options. Rather than bag the development of one of the materials or the cost, wouldn't we be better just marketing our own product and developing it?

I am yet to see ANY horological product that interests me that hasn't borrowed from someone else. So claiming any originality is always fraught with danger. Yes some might go too far, but in the end, the quality of a product will vary it through.

Erika's Originals was a soul trader for a substantial time. She used that time to build name, reputation and a fine product. I have owned several of her straps as well. In my opinion, her competitors are not really modifying anything and her offering will remain strong.

The single pass adjustable strap was the sole domain if Tudor for some time and not available to everyone else. C&B came to the market first with a fine product. Now there are quite a few more. Where they offer a product that is a direct copy I would probably not give them a second glance. Some others though offer the single pass in longer/shorter, thinner / thicker. This is something I would look at and if the quality is high enough for my tastes them I would give them my money.

Country of manufacture doesn't mean much to me as quality control has far more influence on a product. My lovely Speedmaster Professional Hesalite has I bracelet that in told is made in China. I don't care of the quality is there.

Reactions: kplam

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure why you need adjustment, when you can already put the pin anywhere through a perlon?
It becomes about the amount of tail and the look of the hardware.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts