WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to buy a Seiko perpetual calendar watch (SPC 131P1). I read that it is tricky to change date and time for perpetual watches. I travel a lot. Most of my flight connections go through London or Frankfurt. Does it make sense to buy a perpetual and spend lot of time in setting the calendar ?

Thanks a lot for opinions.

Antony

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
I find that's better leave the calendar unchanged. It's normally evident what the date at home is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I find that's better leave the calendar set for home time. It's normally evident what the local correct date is.
Thank you for the reply. I thought calendar is based on movement. If I change the time setting, would it not affect the calendar?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great. That's a relief. I was worried that I need to juggle between 2 time zones. So, as long as I don't play with calendar it should ignore my time setting and stick to home date.
Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm not so sure that reasoning is correct. The calendar changes are dictated by the time. If you change the time it will affect the date. You could ofcourse just leave the date alone and reset it once you are back home for a few days

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
I'm not so sure that reasoning is correct. The calendar changes are dictated by the time. If you change the time it will affect the date. You could ofcourse just leave the date alone and reset it once you are back home for a few days
That happens only sometime, when advancing time crossing midnight. But when returning home the date does not go back even if crossing midnight, so it's all good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@mpalmer Thanks.

Very good. I got the Watch. SPC129P1.

Manual said loss/gain rate is -/+15sec per month. Is it good? How does it compare against other watches in $250 price range?

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Manual said loss/gain rate is -/+15sec per month. Is it good? How does it compare against other watches in $250 price range?
Normal quartz watches are all pretty much like that. You need an High Accuracy quartz to get better, otherwise radio or GPS controlled.
On the other hand if you travel often you will have plenty of occasions to reset time accurately.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Just get a Citizen Atomic, just about any model, if you travel a lot you can get a World Time AT, they all have perpetual calendar, receive signals for accurate timekeeping and some are great at changing time zones.

My presonal favorite - a Nighthawk AT: AS2020 or AS5010, or the newer version which although looks sick, is a bit too big for me CB0141 (to change the time zone pull out the crown to the first click and rotate to the desired time zone, the hour hand moves without interfering the time).

They look simple (no subdials) but are packed with technology and features, and everything works flawlessly.

CB0141:

citizen.jpg

AS2020:
as2020-53e_17.jpg

and naturally Citizen at this price point gives you unmatched quality (Sapphire, solid end links and machined clasp).
Just look at this back:

citizen quality.JPG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just to clarify my original question about perpetual calendar: I verified that calendar is updated based on alarm/secondary 24 hr dial.Basically, I can manipulate the calendar using secondary dial. Date changes when secondary dial hits 24th hour.

BTW, here are some pics. It is beautiful.

_6120640.jpg _6120643.jpg _6120644.jpg _6120641.jpg

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just to clarify my original question about perpetual calendar: I verified that calendar is updated based on alarm/secondary 24 hr dial.Basically, I can manipulate the calendar using secondary dial. Date changes when secondary dial hits 24th hour.

View attachment 8456794 View attachment 8456810 View attachment 8456826 View attachment 8456818
I have my eye o this watch. I am so desperate to get it, it's beautiful! And I always love this kind of a date indicator rather than the usual date display.

Congrats on the watch! can't wait to get onemyself!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have my eye o this watch. I am so desperate to get it, it's beautiful! And I always love this kind of a date indicator rather than the usual date display.

Congrats on the watch! can't wait to get onemyself!!
Great. I think I may change the strap. The stock one is good but does not add real value.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why not try a radio-controled watch? It will adapt to any timezone and (probably) will setup the date as well (most certainly if digital).

·
Registered
1,732 Posts

View attachment 8456794
Sorry, didn't realize there was a resolution before I posted. Congrats on your watch. It makes me very dizzy to look at because I cannot tell how to read the date or secondary time. yikes. hope it came with a good manual.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts