WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search of this forum and it returned no responses (maybe I mistyped it) but I can't find any threads on perpetual calendar watches. Does anyone own one and what are your thoughts? I think I remember looking at a JLC at one point and the sales associate telling me they could be easily set without going through every day for 10 years.

Thought this might be an interesting discussion.

Best,

David

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
I did a search of this forum and it returned no responses (maybe I mistyped it) but I can't find any threads on perpetual calendar watches. Does anyone own one and what are your thoughts? I think I remember looking at a JLC at one point and the sales associate telling me they could be easily set without going through every day for 10 years.

Best,

David
Try typing this into Google : perpetual calendar site:forums.watchuseek.com/f381

That will return any thread title with perpetual calendar in it for the high-end forum. I find Google much better used this way, than just about any site's own internal search.

Reactions: yankeexpress

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate that. Using the search engine on the site returned no results again. Very weird.

Try typing this into Google : perpetual calendar site:forums.watchuseek.com/f381

That will return any thread title with perpetual calendar in it for the high-end forum. I find Google much better used this way, than just about any site's own internal search.

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
Do you have a favorite perpetual calendar watch @tweaked2? Here's mine:

MoserPC.jpg

·
Registered
1,295 Posts

Best,

David
Ulysee Nardin makes the best perpetual calendar movement in the business IMHO, with the added bonus of a true GMT. It even gets leap year correct. I love the feeling of having a complete calendar on my wrist. This one make it into my rotation often.

20190705_144547.jpg

Reactions: ljb187

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply! Once I used the google search referenced above I found many threads. I'm still reading but your watch looks fantastic! I'll check them out!

Ulysee Nardin makes the best perpetual calendar movement in the business IMHO, with the added bonus of a true GMT. It even gets leap year correct. I love the feeling of having a complete calendar on my wrist. This one make it into my rotation often.

View attachment 14481647

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
^
Moser doesn’t display the day, only the month and date.
The small pointer on the central stack points to the month (since there’s 12 of them).
The reverse displays the number of years since the previous leap year.
They have recently introduced a new LE Pioneer PC, which does the month in wheel format.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I think H Mosier is one of the least talked about watches and their watches are amazing. I'm new to perpetual watches but I thought that was a full M/D/Y complication. How does this watch display that?

Thanks again!

David

Do you have a favorite perpetual calendar watch @tweaked2? Here's mine:

View attachment 14481435
It's the strange star shaped wheel on the back of the watch that keeps track of the month. It tells the date to end on 30 or 31. Note a true 'calendar' per say in my opinion. But a facinating take.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is a fascinating take on it! I love the brand but not sure it's what I'd choose for a perpetual calendar watch. I'll check out the other model by them.

Thanks!

It's the strange star shaped wheel on the back of the watch that keeps track of the month. It tells the date to end on 30 or 31. Note a true 'calendar' per say in my opinion. But a facinating take.

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
Hmm... I've never thought that a perpetual calendar watch had to actually display anything but the date. It's defined, I think, by the date automatically changing for the proper length of the month, including February.

A complete or full calendar is often on display, but it's not a requirement.

I have a Seiko quartz perpetual calendar watch that only shows the date, and say "Perpetual Calendar" right on the dial.

That's not correct. The wheel on the back is the leap year indicator. The month is tracked, as mentioned above, by the little pointer on the dial side. It is a true Perpetual Calendar as the month does not need to be reset for months less than 31 days, including for February and leap year. It is not, however, a complete calendar or full calendar watch.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Hmm... I've never thought that a perpetual calendar watch had to actually display anything but the date. It's defined, I think, by the date automatically changing for the proper length of the month, including February.

I have a Seiko quartz perpetual calendar watch that only shows the date, and say "Perpetual Calendar" right on the di

That's not correct. The wheel on the back is the leap year indicator. The month is tracked, as mentioned above, by the little pointer on the dial side. It is a true Perpetual Calendar as the month does not need to be reset for months less than 31 days, including for February and leap year. It is not, however, a complete calendar for full calendar watch.
Ah, yes that's much better than I thought. Here I was reading that pointer as a strange power reserve lol

Reactions: dbostedo

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the insight. In hindsight, I guess I was referring to full calendar watches on the display. I appreciate the education.

Best,

David

I have a Seiko quartz perpetual calendar watch that only shows the date, and say "Perpetual Calendar" right on the dial.

That's not correct. The wheel on the back is the leap year indicator. The month is tracked, as mentioned above, by the little pointer on the dial side. It is a true Perpetual Calendar as the month does not need to be reset for months less than 31 days, including for February and leap year. It is not, however, a complete calendar or full calendar watch.

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
Thanks for the insight. In hindsight, I guess I was referring to full calendar watches on the display. I appreciate the education.

Best,

David
A couple more notes... while some Perpetual Calendar watches may not have a normal Complete Calendar display, they do, like that Moser, have to have some way to indicate the year, leap year, the month, and the day - simply so you can set it. Given it's operation of handling the length of months, a Perpetual Calendar is much more complex than a Complete Calendar that's not a Perpetual. And the price usually matches.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Could you be so kind and tell me how big that date aperture is on the H.Moser? It looks as wide as the crown, so I would guess is almost twice as big as a regular date aperture, but if you have the watch in front of you a measurement straight from the source beats everything else! Many thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts